PDA

View Full Version : Lurker out of the closet

Mike Foster
09-03-2011, 2:54 PM
I occasionally poke my nose in here to see what you guys are up to, but have never posted anything. I just posted a blanket chest I completed for my daughters wedding this weekend, and decided to post my latest turning projects while I'm here. These are pieces I made for the Beauty and Beast competition on Woodturners America.
The beast, If You Dare, is part of my Fibonacci series, and has 13 spirals in one direction and 21 in the opposite. It is 7"h x 5"d. Maple with turned and bleached birch needles. Finish is mineral oil and carnuba on the interior and acrylics and fixatiff on the exterior.

The beauty, Diatom III, is the latest in my diatom series. It is based on scanning electron micrographs of diatoms. This one is 6"h x 4.5" diameter and is maple with acrylics and fixatiff finish.

All comments/critiques welcome

Mike

charlie knighton
09-03-2011, 2:57 PM
Mike, very nice, i really like If You Dare, good combination of elements

Russell Eaton
09-03-2011, 2:59 PM
Mike the cactus is incredible! I had to blow the picture up to even see the junction between the top and bottom. Both are nice but the cactus is just plain cool.

Bernie Weishapl
09-03-2011, 3:00 PM
Those are just exceptional pieces. Love the cactus.

Jon Nuckles
09-03-2011, 3:54 PM
Outstanding pieces. With turnings like this, please keep posting them. Did you put a mechanical catch in the cactus box?

David DeCristoforo
09-03-2011, 4:02 PM
Everyone ends up here.... eventually. That cactus box is wicked looking. Most people are not going to realize that it opens because they will not dare to touch it and the seam is almost invisible anyway!

Steve Schlumpf
09-03-2011, 4:27 PM
Mike - glad you decided to start posting! Been a big fan of your work for quite a while! Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Mike Peace
09-03-2011, 5:24 PM
Wow, what fantastic pieces! Good luck in the competition, but it looks like some winners to me.

Kathy Marshall
09-03-2011, 5:55 PM
Excellent pieces Mike! The cactus looks absolutely lifelike (and not something that wants to be held and caressed! lol). Don't know where you get the patience for such intricate work, but I wish you'd send some my way!
Good luck in the contest!

John Keeton
09-03-2011, 6:07 PM
Mike, you do some phenomenal work, and you must have the patience of Job!! Intricate just isn't a bold enough word to describe these pieces.

And, for those of you that would care to see some more of Mike's work - here is his website (http://breezyhillturning.com/Welcome.html).

David E Keller
09-03-2011, 6:35 PM
Welcome, Mike! I love your work, so I hope we'll be seeing a bit more of it around here!

Mike Foster
09-03-2011, 11:02 PM
Thanks all. Gee, who knew so many of the guys on the Woodturners America forums hang out here too. I didn't realize Steve is a moderator here. John, thanks for posting my website link. Not sure how you knew about that, but it's cool. Thanks!

Doug W Swanson
09-04-2011, 8:45 AM
Mike,
Those are some incredible pieces. I also checked out your website and was very impressed! Your work is beautiful and lots of great info....
Welcome!