PDA

View Full Version : mustard monster owners

allen thunem
09-03-2011, 2:18 PM
question to fellow monster owners
I have red, but cant remember where, info on something i can do to alleviate static on my radio in my shop due to my lathe. any advise???

Jon Nuckles
09-03-2011, 5:05 PM
I have not experienced that, but my radio is about 30 feet from my lathe. Maybe the distance helps.

David Gilbert
09-03-2011, 9:12 PM
Your speed controller will generate interference with an AM radio but not with FM. It may be possible to filter out this noise but that is way beyond my capabilities.

Cheers,
David

David E Keller
09-03-2011, 10:14 PM
I listen to my iphone docked on a radio about 15 feet away... Can't help you with the radio interference though.

Jon Nuckles
09-03-2011, 11:25 PM
I listen to Cubs games on AM and haven't noticed interference, so maybe the distance to the radio is the difference. Of course the WGN radio signal is very strong in Chicago and that might help. The way the Cubs play, the occasional interference with the broadcast might be a blessing. :(

JerHall
09-04-2011, 12:40 AM
The Mustard Monster Site, under the Electrical Page, has a link to a couple discussions for filtering. But I too haven't had any problems either with radio, or driving internet radio over a wireless link.

John Keeton
09-04-2011, 8:03 AM
I have the same problem with my Jet 1642. My radio is on the other side of the shop - more than 20' away. Hadn't thought to check whether FM was effected.

Joe Scarfo
09-04-2011, 9:58 AM
Before loosing my 3520B to a shop fire a few months ago... I used blue tooth to transmit music across the shop from my iphone and ipad to my stereo... blue tooth worked fine... fm always worked fine... never tried am (archaic modulation) though...

Sorry, wish I could help.

Frank Drew
09-04-2011, 10:04 AM
People still listen to AM radio :confused:

:cool:

George Morris
09-04-2011, 2:53 PM
My 10 year old gran daughter asked me what is AMFM? We are getting old!

Chris Barnett
09-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Check to see if you get the same interference with batteries, i.e. radio disconnected from AC. If you do not still get interference, buy ferrite ring (or several) from Radio Shack, a radio/television supply house, or from the web, and pass the AC power cord through the ring a number of times (again experiment with the number of turns). Alternatively, make coils in the power cord and tape (a number of turns by experiment) which will sometimes block high frequency noise. I assume you have grounded your lathe to an earth ground. If you do still get the interference using batteries, might try to shield (copper screen) around the phase converter on the rear of the headstock, and ground that shield to the frame which should be grounded to earth. These are all typical methods to attenuate RF interference that we use in ham radio. Are you sure the lathe is causing the noise; fluorescent lamps ballasts are famous for causing such interference. If you still have problems, find a local friend who is a ham radio operator.