PDA

View Full Version : Trestle Table In Cherry (After a Charles Durfee Design)

Adam Johan Bergren
09-03-2011, 10:58 AM
(Cross post disclaimer):

Dimensions are 36" wide by 77" long for the top and 29.5" high.

I was able to fine a few boards from the same tree for the top, and the others matched pretty well. The posts and stretcher was from a single 6/4 board, and the feet and cleats were from a single 8/4 board with similar colour and grain. I did have to use a symmetrical five board design for the top, as the four boards I had that would have been wide enough would have entailed unequal widths anyway ( couple were 8.5 " and one was over 10"). Thus, I choose to use a pattern with five boards, and I used the golden ratio to achieve a pleasing pattern (8", 5", 10", 5", 8"). The breadboard ends were obtained from an off-cut of one of the 5" boards (both of the 5" boards were from the same tree).

Joinery is draw-bored, hand-cut mortise and tenon for the post-feet and post-cleat joints, and wedged through tenons for the post-stretcher joints. The top is attached with buttons, and two dowels are used to register the top and keep it from shifting (each cleat has a dowel that fits into the bottom of the top).

Finish is BLO and blonde shellac (many many many coats).

Thanks for looking and any comments welcome!!

lowell holmes
09-03-2011, 11:09 AM
A clean well executed project.

It looks good!

Brian Kent
09-03-2011, 11:55 AM
I like it. You managed a large cherry surface without a blotchy look. Good job. The color is very nice and the structure is beautiful and balanced.

Peter Aeschliman
09-03-2011, 2:13 PM
I love it. I really like projects like this where result is a simple, clean piece of functional furniture... but when you look more closely, there are subtle details that showcase the fine craftsmanship and complexity.

And I'll second Brian's comment... nice job with the finish. Every time I've worked with cherry, it has come out blotchy.

Bill Rogers
09-03-2011, 5:16 PM
How thick is the top?

gary Zimmel
09-03-2011, 5:25 PM
Well done Adam... That's one fine looking table. Did the cherry come from PJ White here in town?

Adam Johan Bergren
09-03-2011, 6:10 PM
Thanks everyone!!

How thick is the top?

Just over 7/8" (from 4/4 stock).

Adam Johan Bergren
09-03-2011, 6:11 PM
Well done Adam... That's one fine looking table. Did the cherry come from PJ White here in town?

Yes, it did. I have been very pleased with the cherry I have gotten from them!

glenn bradley
09-03-2011, 7:04 PM
Very pretty (and I don't mean that flippantly). So light in appearance yet the trestle gives it a good solid stance on the floor. Turned out beautifully.

Tony Shea
09-03-2011, 8:52 PM
Perfect table. That is the absolute most perfect form of a dinning room table I think exists. I hope to build one very similar out of the same wood.

It came out great. Execution is spot on. And how did you like flattening that top? Had to be somewhat challenging. My only critisism is the finsih on the table top itself. It looks beautiful but think laquer may be a more durable choice for a table top.

Adam Johan Bergren
09-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Perfect table. That is the absolute most perfect form of a dinning room table I think exists. I hope to build one very similar out of the same wood.

It came out great. Execution is spot on. And how did you like flattening that top? Had to be somewhat challenging. My only critisism is the finsih on the table top itself. It looks beautiful but think laquer may be a more durable choice for a table top.

I rather enjoyed flattening, as I was pretty careful during glue up. I did spend probably 4 hours on smoothing the top, but I avoided any use of sandpaper on this project (planes/scrapers only).

Regarding the finish, I would agree, except that shellac is so easy to fix. If there is a bad spot, just wipe a bit more on and blend in. It is my favourite finish for both looks and maintenance, but to each their own!

Jim Becker
09-05-2011, 5:53 PM
Wow...that's really lovely!

Tony Shea
09-06-2011, 8:04 PM
I would agree that is a good reason for a shellac finish. If that's what you feel comfortable with and are willing to put in the maintenance then shellac is a great choice. I also love shellac and use it on everything that comes out of my shop in one way or another. Sometimes it is just a sealer but more often is the final finish. But I do laquer my table tops just out of a little more peice of mind. Again, just a great table.

Eric Cavin
09-24-2011, 9:32 AM
Wow, I really like that! Beautiful table.

Paul McGaha
09-25-2011, 5:48 PM
Beautiful piece. Love it. Nicely done.