PDA

View Full Version : OK to laugh your butt off!

Michelle Rich
09-03-2011, 8:24 AM
:D
What a way to start the day. I cannot believe I did this. I use a 1/2 inch bolt held in the chuck and have a half inch hole in the base of the hollowform. This gives me a great hold. I got the vessel all turned & proceeded to get the lid all turned & fitted and then glued it on. I even clamped it and went on with some chores in another part of the house. When I went back to check it, I realized i had glued the top on and the bolt , washer & nut are trapped inside. Go ahead, laugh til your sides hurt and hoot. I can take it!:D

Paul Heely
09-03-2011, 8:31 AM
What a nice looking piece. It's horrible that the bolt is trapped inside! Maybe design a base for the piece that can be bolted on?

Paul

John Keeton
09-03-2011, 8:33 AM
Michelle, I think the "chuck base" gives it a certain "retro" look!!! I would just go with that and leave it all together!:eek::rolleyes::D

Michelle Rich
09-03-2011, 8:38 AM
Michelle, I think the "chuck base" gives it a certain "retro" look!!! I would just go with that and leave it all together!:eek::rolleyes::D yep, that sounds about right..a silver shiny 150.00 base!! :p I will put it in cole jaws and try to cut out an area in the base around the bolt that is big enough to get the washer & nut out. then put a disc back in. I can't believe i did this!!! UGH!

Jim Burr
09-03-2011, 8:48 AM
It's Art!!! Charge $1273 for it and you can buy "candy plate base" for your next one!! Check the inventory at Rockler first! By the way...cool looking piece!

Steve Vaughan
09-03-2011, 9:07 AM
Why not finish it out and just bolt it down to a table somewhere and watch folks try pt pick it up!

Richard Jones
09-03-2011, 9:24 AM
Custom jam chuck, on sale this week only.........

:)

You could also part it off near the top and work from there, would look less like a fix instead of doing from the bottom. Hey, when, you screw up, sometimes the only way to fix a boo boo is to accent it instead of hiding it. Lots of "design opportunities" here.......

Rich

Allan Ferguson
09-03-2011, 9:25 AM
Sometimes we just have to do something really dumb, just to proof we are human. I like the table idea.

David E Keller
09-03-2011, 9:29 AM
I think I'd give the bolted base idea a whirl. Just so you know, you don't have the market cornered on lack of forethought... I've got serious skills in the stupid department!

Doug W Swanson
09-03-2011, 10:03 AM
That's going to be one of the most beautiful funnels I've ever seen when you are done with it!

Actually, I think we've all been there at one point....

Norm Zax
09-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Id cut off the bolt as close as comfortable with a disc, then remove further with a grinder or add a half inch base to cover it. As long as it doesnt jiggle, no one will know about it. Alternatively, the screw on base is a nice finish.

charlie knighton
09-03-2011, 10:09 AM
enjoy, you seem to be taking it in stride, nice looking piece, i like the idea of bolting it to table, be great at a symposium bolted down

Michelle Rich
09-03-2011, 10:37 AM
yep I hate that I have to go cut this up..I hope it survives. Gorgeous Shedua wood. Just wanted a picture before surgery!:D

Steve Schlumpf
09-03-2011, 10:42 AM
Well, the old saying of 'stuff happens' certainly applies! I like the idea of using the bolt to secure the piece to a small stand. That way you don't risk damaging the piece and the stand could actually help accentuate the form.

David DeCristoforo
09-03-2011, 12:43 PM

Sounds like something I would do. I would go with the "bolted to a base" idea.

Brian Brown
09-03-2011, 12:44 PM
*Hey, when, you screw up,

"Screw up", *heh heh You a funny guy! :D:D Although, I think this is more of a "bolt up"

It seems that I remember a few turners leaving a nut or ball bearing inside a piece so when somebody shakes it, it proves it is hollow. Back out the bolt, and leave the rattles inside. Call it a feature, and double the price. It is all in how you spin it! I'm glad to see somebody else does the same kind of stuff I do.

Bill Wyko
09-03-2011, 1:26 PM
That is quite a pricy base for a vessel. I will say though, it's a beautiful vessel.:D

Baxter Smith
09-03-2011, 1:30 PM
Although I did chuckle a bit, I didn't find it all that laughable since it reminded me so much of what I might do.:) Good luck on the fix Michele!

Jamie Donaldson
09-03-2011, 2:40 PM
Make a base of suitable size and convert it into a trophy! Thats exactly the method used to assemble trophys, so you're on the right track, and you could even have room for an engraved brass plaque with some saying like "thanks for the memories!"

Jim Silva
09-03-2011, 2:41 PM
It's Art!!! Charge $1273 for it and you can buy "candy plate base" for your next one!! Check the inventory at Rockler first! By the way...cool looking piece!

Put the chuck back on the lathe and sell it for $4000 as "Kinetic Sculpture"?

Roger Chandler
09-03-2011, 2:43 PM
You could leave the base as it currently exists.............and name it "nice to have known 'ya chucky!" :eek: so when you sell it, the chuck can be replaced with the proceeds...........;):D

Bernie Weishapl
09-03-2011, 3:07 PM
I am not laughing. It reminds me of some the dumb things I have did. Hope you get it fixed.

Robert Newton
09-03-2011, 3:17 PM
With that weight on the bottom it should not tip over, I guess we all make mistakes and most of us learn from them. I used to tell my students I was only wrong once. When I thought I was but wasn't, and some believed me.

Ian Jeffcock
09-03-2011, 3:39 PM
How about re mount on lathe, make opening on the top a bit bigger, use and extension to remove bolt, and make new finial. Just my 2 cents. Nice piece though.

Betty Fox
09-03-2011, 3:41 PM
Beautiful piece. Bolt it to a stand or hang it upside down by a wire. Art is subjective.

Tim Thiebaut
09-03-2011, 8:35 PM
Without a doubt it sounds like something I would do...

Lee Koepke
09-04-2011, 12:15 PM
That's one fabulous HF....and that wood is spectacular.

Cathy Schaewe
09-06-2011, 6:24 PM
Thanks for alerting me to this - most people would pretend it didn't happen! Better to laugh at yourself .... (and I'm right there laughing with you!)

Rick Markham
09-06-2011, 6:49 PM
Call it "shackled" and it's done :)

It's very nice Michelle, I hope your operation is a success, and the patient lives :D

Moses Weisberg
09-07-2011, 11:59 AM
That's a beautiful piece. Some others have noted this already, but could you use the bolt to attach the hollowform to a wood, or even brass base? It would be such a shame to have to wield cutting disks around the foot.

Brian Vaughn
09-07-2011, 1:39 PM
This was just an excuse to try a "pierced" design, right? Just make sure you pierce it enough to fit the wrench in there ;)