PDA

View Full Version : Lathe and logs part 1

Terry Quiram
04-20-2003, 7:18 AM
Yesterday a tree remover came to finish up the job of removing an ant infested, hollow Ash in my yard. This is some of the wood I kept for turning. The smallest log is about 10" in diameter. My back hurts like the devil this morning. Gettin too old for this crap.

Terry Quiram
04-20-2003, 7:30 AM
Keith Zimmerman stopped by for a visit and to test drive my new Delta 16/42. Keith kindly took some of the Ash so I wouldn't have to carry and end grain seal the entire pile. The piece Keith and I worked on was a crotch with spetacular grain and color. Keith you definately got the better half of the crotch. I turned the other half after supper and it isn't as nice.

keith zimmerman
04-20-2003, 1:22 PM
We'll see how good it really is in a few months. I'm really forward to seeing this piece of ash to completion. I have every reason to believe it will be gorgeous.

Thanks again for all the wood Terry.

keithz

BTW, that 16" Delta is really nice. I love the VS feature. If and when I decide it's time to upgrade, the lathe I get will be VS.

Thanks for the test drive Terry. It was fun.

Jennifer@Indy.USA
04-20-2003, 5:24 PM
Sounds like you guys had a great day! Terry I love to turn ash. It always has some unexpected figure and lovely surprises in it. I love the warm color after I oil it too. It's also great for grain filling and sand blasting.

Jen :)