PDA

View Full Version : Longworth chuck & steady

Michelle Rich
09-03-2011, 6:48 AM
I just saw the Woodline USA site..they have a new longworth chuck & a new steady rest. anyone have these? If so, what do you think of them? Have you ordered from Woodline before? Good or????

John Keeton
09-03-2011, 7:21 AM
Michelle, while I have not personally used the Longworth they sell, I have seen it in use. It seems to be a very good design and well made. I believe this chuck came on the market early last year, if it is the same one I am thinking about. Our local Woodcraft had a few of them in stock. It is constructed of phenolic resin, and is solid. The sale prices shown are the best I have seen on this one.

No info on the steady.

Bill Bulloch
09-03-2011, 7:57 AM
I Picked up one of the Longworth Chuck for my 16" Lathe at the Woodworking Show this past March. I like it. It seems to hold better than a Cole Jaw and with less effort setting up. One thing, though, when using it to center segmented rings on the lathe, the pins are to long and will get in the way if the ring you are centering is smaller in diameter than the one you are gluing it to. When I bought this one I mentioned my concern about this to Ron Brown, he told me that they were coming out with a smaller botton for segmenters very soon. That was in March; I ran across him last month and he told me they were still working on it. Will it happen? I don't know, but I have a work around: I cut rubber wine stoppers in half and drill a hold in them. They work fine and are cheap if your favoriate wine uses them rather than cork or tin.