PDA

View Full Version : West African wood?

Kelvin Burton
09-02-2011, 11:08 PM
I am making a trip to Sierra Leone leaving this weekend. I know nothing about African wood varieties and am wondering about bringing some back. I have read online that Mahogany, Ironwood and African Rosewood are used by local woodcarvers. If youy had the choice which would you carry home?

Also, what special precautions should I take to make sure I don't end up donating the wood to a Customs official in Dallas - or London during a stopover on our return flight?

Chris Barnett
09-03-2011, 7:14 AM
Perhaps African ebony since supply from India might dry up :D. And it seems African mahogany is available, at least around here.

John Keeton
09-03-2011, 7:25 AM
Also, what special precautions should I take to make sure I don't end up donating the wood to a Customs official in Dallas - or London during a stopover on our return flight?Not discuss the issue on the most widely used woodworking forum in the world!;)

Steve Vaughan
09-03-2011, 9:14 AM
I've had no problems bringing wood back (checked bags LOADED to the weight limitation!) from Costa Rica and Haiti. In both cases when customs at the departing airport looked through the bag, they were satisfied with "souvenirs." No problem in the US of A. But, it wouldn't hurt to ask around where you're going to get some feedback just to be sure and check to be sure here that there's no import of species issues. Otherwise, I think it's gonna be an issue of weight and value.

David E Keller
09-03-2011, 9:26 AM
A quick perusal of 'flora of Sierra Leone' on wikipedia yielded a couple of ironwood species and tamarind as interesting options. Ebony and rosewoods are obviously desirable as well although the recent trouble at Gibson Guitars makes me a little anxious about trying to bring those in to the US. Tamarind is a great turning wood, and it can be really spectacular when spalted. Have a safe trip!

Steve Schlumpf
09-03-2011, 11:06 AM
First off - have a safe trip!! Second - I hope you are able to find some wood to your liking! Have fun!

Jerry Lawrence
09-03-2011, 11:51 AM
I dunno, maybe you should check with the people at the Gibson guitar factory...raided for illegal ebony...at least that's the story!

Steve Kubien
09-03-2011, 11:56 AM
Nothing. Why bring anything from another country when you have no idea how it was logged (poached) and while we have some of the most beautiful wood in the world right here in North America?

Brian Kent
09-03-2011, 12:23 PM
If you want to avoid problems, don't buy illegal woods. Takes a lot of research that may be beyond one person's scope.

Jamie Donaldson
09-03-2011, 2:34 PM
David- can you expand on the Gibson guitar issue or give me a link for info?

Jon Nuckles
09-03-2011, 5:08 PM
Jamie, it was discussed in this thread: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?171631-Hide-your-exotics!