PDA

View Full Version : On a Downward Slide - My First Plane

Lars Thomas
02-22-2005, 10:47 PM
Not sure if this was a wise choice for a first (real) plane, but I sure am having a good time with my new Lee Valley Scraping Plane. I much prefer using this tool to a traditional cabinet scraper or (gasp) a belt sander. I think I'll be hanging out with you neanders more and more.

I don't have a wide basis for comparison, but this thing sure is solidly built. I'm already wondering which plane next for flatening cabinet tops . . .this is addictive!

To satisfy the pix police, I offer the following evidence . . .

Tom Stovell
02-22-2005, 11:10 PM
It's a great start for a 'first real plane'. I mean, you're going to wind up buying 'em all anyway, so it really doesn't matter WHERE you start but rather THAT you start.

Tom

Mike Holbrook
02-23-2005, 9:35 AM
Grrr I just got done calculating that a LV shoulder plane was going to be my next plane purchase. Now I am all confused again!

Jim Becker
02-23-2005, 9:47 AM
While the scraper plane might be an "unconventional" choice as a first plane, it's a good tool to own. I'd like to have one someday, myself...

Glenn Clabo
02-23-2005, 11:12 AM
Jim...Remember that birthday present from LV on my front steps I mentioned? Yup...I got me one of these fine tools...and I believe if your LV wish list is updated and DrSWMBO is provided the appropiate hints...you too can have one just in time for your upcoming BD.

Jim Becker
02-23-2005, 11:15 AM
Hmmm....now, that sounds like a plan, Glen! I could point out some of the new gardening tools (she buys from LV, too) and casually mention "this and that"... ;)

Marty Walsh
02-23-2005, 2:43 PM
Lars,

Welcome from another neophyte. I too made the mistake, I mean took the leap, and have purchased a pair of LV planes, their standard block and a #4. I debated the scraper, thinking it would be kinder to the hands than a cabinet scraper, but the guy at the LN booth at the Chantilly WW show talked me out of it, saying that sharpening would be too hard for a novice, and adjustment was much more of a finesse than the planes I've ordered.

I suspect I'll be ordering a scraper next, assuming my experiment with the two I have coming goes well. But then again, I really liked the 60 1/2R rabbet from LN. But then again, I think I'll need a jack, no a shoulder, no a...

Oh crap, now I've gone and done it, huh? :eek:

- Marty -

Lars Thomas
02-23-2005, 9:00 PM
Marty, if the LN scraper is like the LV, then the LN rep was correct. Setting the blade right (for a complete novice) did take some trial and error. Also, as the burr 'unrolled' you need to adjust it. But that went quickly once I got the hang of it. I could practically do it on the back stroke. I'm thinking having used a scraper helped me understand what was going on.

I would whole-heartedly agree, I probably should have started with a more traditional plane. But I had some tops to flatten, so seemed like a good time to jump in with both feet. I look on the bright side – when I buy my first plane, I'll have two!! :confused: