PDA

View Full Version : Best Multi Master Type tool?

John Hollander
09-02-2011, 8:03 PM
Im looking to buy one of the multi master type tools and was wondering which on is the best bang for your buck. I know dremel makes a few models and of course Fein but who makes the best for the best price?

Mike Henderson
09-02-2011, 8:35 PM
Depends on how much you're going to use it. I have a Harbor Freight and for my needs, it's great. Right now, they're $20 for the fixed speed one.

Mike

Alan Bienlein
09-02-2011, 8:46 PM
I've used the both the fein and the harbor freight model. I ended up buying the single speed model from harbor freight and haven't regretted it. It's one of my go to tools.

Will Winder
09-02-2011, 9:05 PM
I'm happy with rockwell's version. It feels very rugged and works great. It came with a lot of accessories, I guess I'd compare what they come with to pick which one is the best value for you.

Looks like rockler has the entry level version of it on sale with free shipping right now.

Bruce Wrenn
09-02-2011, 9:19 PM
I have both a Fien and a couple of HF's. I think I know where the Fien is, but I know exactly where one of the HF's is. It's been busy earning money this week on a bathroom floor replacement job. For blades to fit the HF, go to Northern Tool. Their blades are thicker, stronger, and most importantly last longer. Same price as HF blades.

Michael Schapansky
09-02-2011, 9:26 PM
I was waiting until the right time to buy a Fein (when I had a job that NEEDED one). Last weekend I found a Sonicrafter at Lowes on the bargain table for $50.00. It had all the blades so I bought it. Haven't used it yet, other than to make sure it worked. I've got some ideas where it will work though. Looking forward to trying it.

Craig McCormick
09-02-2011, 9:27 PM
I have Fein and a Bosch cordless I bought on Amazon refurb for $75.00. I love the Bosch and use it several times a week in my home repair business.

AZCRAIG

michael veach
09-03-2011, 1:06 AM
I have a

Rockwell corded model that I have used a lot on a kitchen remodel. It is built like a tank but does get hot after extended use. I have a Bosch cordless that I got because Lowe's had it on close out for $40. Unless I find a sale on blades, I use craftsman blades on both. this requires the use of an adapter which is included with both. For quick jobs, I use the Bosch because it is handier. For heavy jobs or ones that will take a lot of time, I use the Rockwell. I have not used any others.

Rich Engelhardt
09-03-2011, 6:18 AM
I have a Dremel (do yourself a favor and pass on the Dremel), two or three of the HF fixed speed ones and a Pro something or other LiIon cordless I picked up on sale @ Menards for about $20.00.

Pro's:
HF - price. For $59.00 it's a fair price for a not too shabby tool. For $20 to $30 on sale, it's a bargin.
HF - uses full 2" long blades. You can plunge cut all the way through 2x stock.
HF- hefty.
Dremel - variable speed
Dremel - seems to make cleaner more precision type cuts. It could be the blades or the tool.
Dremel - light weight.

Pro-whatever - "cordless handy", and LiIon "always ready". <--my go to 90% of the time.

Cons:
HF - it's a Harbor Freight electric tool. As great as it is, it's still a Chinese made low quality tool. I fully expect it to fail on me in the middle of a job.
Dremel - runs extremely hot and vibrates a lot.
Dremel - stock blades imit depth of plunge cut to a little over 1". Will not go through 2X stock.
Pro-whatever it is. - it's a Menards branded tool. When the LiIon battery goes, the tool will probably go with it.

My conclusion is that, other than the Dremel, odds are any of the others will do a good job. Even the Dremel works, but, it's more of a hobby toy instead of a tool.

Edited to add - in case you wondered why two or three of the HF ones. I keep one in the car, one in the van and one in the shop. We have 4 rentals and there's always something that needs cut, trimmed or scraped.

Larry Edgerton
09-03-2011, 6:32 AM
The title of this thread should have been....

WHO MAKES THE SECOND BEST MULTIMASTER TYPE TOOL?

Jason Roehl
09-03-2011, 7:44 AM
That's pretty funny, Larry.

I have the Fein. Works great, and after a couple small remodel jobs, it is probably 1/4 of the way to paying for itself. Up next--a hardwood floor installation/finishing next week. By the end of that job, it will probably be halfway to paying for itself.

John Lanciani
09-03-2011, 7:55 AM
I've had my Fein for about 10 years now and the only thing I'd consider to replace it with if I needed a lower cost tool is the new Bosch corded model and it is not a lot cheaper. (I have the Bosch cordless and I like it a lot but it is no replacement for the Fein). Look at it this way, none of the immitations is ever touted to be better than a Fein, only cheaper than a Fein. Also, with all of the universal blades and adaptors that are now available the biggest complaint about the Fein -high blade cost- is no longer a compelling arguement.

Andrew Kertesz
09-03-2011, 7:58 AM
HF just sent out a flyer with a coupon for the Pro model for $39.99 if you're thinking going that way.

Jason Roehl
09-03-2011, 8:05 AM
I should mention that one of the features that tipped the scales for me in favor of the Fein (I was considering the Rockwell also) was the tool-less blade change. That alone has saved me a fair amount of time.

Joe Adams
09-03-2011, 9:22 AM
I like Chinese food but not Chinese tools. IMHO, most of the tools from HF are cheap copies of the real thing. I bought a Fein and have never looked back.

Bill Huber
09-03-2011, 11:16 AM
I have the Bosch, I am not sure it is the best but I like it and it works just fine for my needs. It is the cordless model which is great if you have other cordless Bosch tools that use the same battery.
I am thinking of getting the Milwaukee do to the fact that I have 3 other Milwaukee cordless tools that use the 12v battery.

Craig Michael
09-03-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm with John L. The Fein is the best with the Bosch corded second. Both are powerful, and very well made. The Bosch is a somewhat less but not a lot. I bought a Fein refurb from cpofein for $200 last spring. The tool looks and performs as new, the case and all the accessories were new. That was a great deal on the best tool in that category. I can't tell you which to buy, it depends on your needs, use, budget, etc. But the Fein and Bosch corded are the two best by far. The cordless have their place but for long periods of use or sanding they'll drive you nuts. The batteries do not last long enough for them to be used for more than 5 minutes straight. The bosch cordless is good, the milwaukee cordless is a bit better.

Mike Henderson
09-03-2011, 12:05 PM
I have no doubt the Fein is an excellent tool. However, I use a multi-tool about three times a year. Although I've tried several brands, for my usage I was not going to pay $400 for a tool used that little. I bought the Harbor Freight and have been very satisfied with it for my usage. If I was doing finish carpentry for a living, I'd buy the Fein.

For $20, the Harbor Freight does a heck of a job.

Mike

Bill Huber
09-03-2011, 2:51 PM
I really feel dumb, I said I have the Bosch and was thinking of getting the Milwaukee. But I have done that already, I have the Milwaukee and it is just about the same as the Bosch in every way really see no difference.
I use it for sanding the most, those little areas that is hard to sand with a block.

It is hell to get old....

Rich Engelhardt
09-03-2011, 4:56 PM
It is hell to get old....
Nope - you've got that wrong my friend..

It was a great time getting old. It's hell to be old ;).

Anyhow - Performax is the name of the cordless I picked up at Menards.
Nice little tool for the $$ I paid. Run time is a good 15 min. which surprised me.

Myk Rian
09-03-2011, 5:16 PM
Depends on how much you're going to use it. I have a Harbor Freight and for my needs, it's great. Right now, they're $20 for the fixed speed one.

Mike
I also have one. Been great the last 3 years, and I use it all the time.

raul segura
09-05-2011, 1:10 AM
harbor freight at 20 $ you could get three or four if they bust. I love it because I don't have to worry about breaking it $. I'm going to get a dimmer switch and make a plug in variable for this and other tools. If you make money with your tools that's a different angle. H.F. also has one with variable speed better. Also check the fittings on the blades as there not cheep and you could get a pricy one to use with cheaper blades.
Indispensable and time saver when its needed.

Don Morris
09-05-2011, 2:06 AM
I have an old style Fein. Old because it's that old. Many times when I have a job that I have to think how am I going to do that, I end up using the Fein. I know it was expensive, but in my mind, it's paid for itself. Didn't have substitutes when I bought it. If there was a comparable for less, I would have considered it. Sort of like Festool vs. Other. I don't own any Festool. I can't justify it as an amateur. Like the member said: If I did finish carpentry for a living, I would get a Fein, otherwise, with the others available, I'd have to look around. Each individuals needs vary and thus the decisions seem to me will need to vary.

Mike Schuch
09-05-2011, 3:38 AM
I have the Harbor Freight variable speed version that I paind $39 - a 20% coupon and love the stupid thing. I was installing a bathtub today ang had to take 3/8 inch off the top of a joist for the tub drain to fit. Took about 5 minutes and I didn't have to pull the tub out to make the cut. I then used it to shorten a ABS drain pipe about an inch... it isn't anywhere near the perfect tool for cutting abs but it was the only tool I could fit between the floor joists.

I have found so many placs where it is just the right tool... like cutting holes in drywall for outlets.

I have not had any problems with the blades slipping like I have read owners of non HF tools have. The only thing that I would add to this tool is a place to store the Allen wrench on the tool for quick access and easy storage..

I will have to give the Northern blades a try but the HF ones have given me decent life so far.

Larry Edgerton
09-05-2011, 6:46 AM
On the blades.....

I use a mix of brands, but if you have to cut nails buy the Fein nail cutting blade @ about $25 and you will save money. I have not found one that even comes close to lasting as long.

I restored an old Italianate where I had to cut the old sash away from the original trim without disturbing anything on the inside, 37 windows, most of them 7" tall, some 8' and just a few shorter ones. One Fein blade did the whole job, but not until I had burned up a Sears, a Dremel, and a Bosch blade on one window trying to cut the old hand made nails. I too hated the cost of the Feins, but in this case they are cheaper. For other applications I use cheaper knockoffs.

Larry

John Nesmith
09-05-2011, 10:30 AM
IMHO, most of the tools from HF are cheap copies of the real thing.

It's not just your opinion, it's a fact. That is their business model. They don't compete through innovation, they compete through imitation and cost-cutting. They have their place.

Jay Allen
09-05-2011, 11:15 AM
I have the Bosch cordless, which was purchased on-line for about $75. I bought it mostly because I already have several other tools with the same battery, not realizing how handy it would become. It gets used far more than I would have thought. Cordless makes it quick and easy, with one less cord under foot. However, it is not an adequate substitute for a proper corded model for bigger jobs. I wouldn't try to dig out grout or scrape tile adhesive with the little cordless one, but for quick trims, cabinet back cut-outs, door jamb under-cuts, etc., it's great.