PDA

View Full Version : Cedar Planks - Band Saw Blade Recommendation

Dennis Putnam
09-02-2011, 3:18 PM
I recently had to cut down a cedar tree and rather than burn the wood (its not really big enough to use for lumber), I am planning to make cedar planks for grilling (I'll probably wind up with a life time supply). What is the recommended band saw blade for this type work? I think the widest blade my saw can take is 3/4". I think I need a very aggressive blade but the only work I've done on my saw so far has been fine woodworking so I don't really know what to use for this kind of rough service. TIA.

Scott T Smith
09-02-2011, 3:41 PM
Dennis, I typically use a 2 - 3 TPI band (1" wide) on my 16" horizontal resaw. What size bandsaw do you have and what width planks are you planning to saw?

Andrew Hughes
09-02-2011, 3:43 PM
Hi Dennis,I would use a 1 tooth per inch blade for green cedar.I'm sure you already know the thinner the wood gets the more teeth per inch.When it gets dryer.Dont cut i all up its nice to have some around for fence repairs and outside stuff.Is it red cedar?

Dennis Putnam
09-02-2011, 3:53 PM
Thanks for the reply. I have a small band saw so the widest I can make is about 5" (max height of my guide) and the thickness will be ~3/4" (recommended by grilling experts). The blade is 105" and I'm not sure it will take a 1" blade (never worked with anything that big). In any case I think you are recommending the the widest blade I can fit with 2-3 TPI. Isn't there also a tooth type specification for most blades (hook, gulleted, raker, etc.)?

Dennis Putnam
09-02-2011, 4:01 PM
Thanks for the reply. One tooth per inch is pretty heavy duty, as I explained to Scott the thickness will be about 3/4". I think the cedar is moderately green, maybe 3 months of outdoor seasoning. It is red cedar but I don't really have anything that is made of cedar so I doubt there would be much occasion to use it. However, if I make enough of the planks I can see possibly using them to line a chest some day but the size planks I would use for grilling are a decent size for that as well (since they would have to be planed to uniform size) so I don't see any reason to reserve any.

Cody Colston
09-02-2011, 9:59 PM
I'd recommend a Timberwolf 1/2", 3 TPI AS (alternate set) blade.

Ken Massingale
09-03-2011, 7:51 AM
Where are you located? Cedar grilling planks are Western Red Cedar. I don't think you will like the strong flavor of Eastern Read (aromatic) Cedar.

Dennis Putnam
09-03-2011, 8:23 AM
I thought the same thing but tried it anyway (I'm in GA). Also, when we cut this tree it didn't seem to be as aromatic as I had expected. I am a BBQ judge (KCBS) and my son is a cooker so perhaps I (we) are used to strong smoke flavor but the shark steaks we used as a trial had just the right amount. That is why I decided to gear up to make a bunch of planks. I don't know what it will be like if we try something that takes longer to grill than fish but at least for that it is good.

Jim Finn
09-03-2011, 9:46 PM
I resaw a lot of eastern red cedar and I use a 1/2" blade from "woodslicer" I usually am resawing 1" x 8" to 1/4" x 8"