PDA

View Full Version : A little different project...

Russell Eaton
09-02-2011, 7:48 AM
I started this project several weeks ago. It is a suspended lidded bowl. It has 3 different types of wood. First is Cherry, the base rim and both of the finials, Second is the Holly that the legs are made of, and last is the Box Elder that the body is turned out of. It has a spray lacquer finish and has been sanded to 400 grit. I have had my 1642 for almost a year now and this is by far the most technical turning that I have done. Comments are welcome, good or bad. Thanks for looking, Russell

Chris Burgess
09-02-2011, 8:04 AM
Amazing piece. Great Job. Thanks for sharing.

Greg Just
09-02-2011, 8:06 AM
Russell:

That is really interesting piece and I like it. 2 comments - I think the top finial should be thinner and I would remove the bottom finial as I'm not sure is needed. Might look different if the globe is only held by the 3 legs. Your combination of wood is very nice the this is a very unique piece. I'm sure you put many hours into this one.

Thanks,

Greg

PS - I like my 1642 also

John Keeton
09-02-2011, 8:07 AM
Russell, I think you have a winner here! Very well conceived design, with good choices on the wood. Many of these type of turnings fail in the attempt to combine forms, curves, etc. and end up with combative elements. You seem to have avoided that very well. Everything flows well and it is pleasing to view.

I assume from the description that the lidded portion is removable - another pic might be good showing that view. Also, it is difficult to tell - does the suspended "finial" or pedestal touch the surface?

Roger Chandler
09-02-2011, 8:20 AM
Creative to say the least.......very pleasing and +1 on a pic of the inside and lid. This is a really nice piece of art that can have some functionality to it as well. I like it!

Russell Eaton
09-02-2011, 8:21 AM
Greg, the top finial is a little larger that I had intended because it is used as a handle to take the top off. I made a thinner one or 2 or 8 and ended up with this due to breakage issues (the first one glued int place broke off in my hand).
John the bottom finial is not touching the base, it looks like a pendulum in the hole in the center. The thread that you started a few week ago got me to thinking about the "copy" of other items that had been seen, and I wanted to try something different. I have only been turning things other than pen for less than a year. I will take a couple of different pics and post in a few min.

Russell Eaton
09-02-2011, 8:40 AM
Here is a picture of the bowl without the lid on. It is hard to tell from the photos but the bottom finial does not touch the surface the the base is on. Thanks for the comments. Russell

Bill Bolen
09-02-2011, 10:37 AM
You can sure see a bunch of thought and creative turning went into this outstanding piece Russell. Excellent!

Dahl Troy Perry
09-02-2011, 5:08 PM
The form is good looking to me my question is how do you have time to turn with that real good looking lake in the back ground I thought I saw a fish jump when I was looking at the form of the bowl :):)

charlie knighton
09-02-2011, 5:14 PM
very nice, good combination of elements

Bernie Weishapl
09-02-2011, 5:53 PM
That is a beauty and very creative. Nice wood combinations.

Mike Willeson
09-02-2011, 7:23 PM
Very nice Russell. Nice execution! .... we can see that a lot of thinking went into that piece!

Steve Schlumpf
09-03-2011, 12:05 PM
Russell - love the imagination that you put into this piece! Nice flow to everything and I especially like your choice of woods! Thanks for sharing!