PDA

View Full Version : Acacia Form

Johnny Taylor
09-01-2011, 3:55 PM
I bought a few pieces of very dry Acacia this week and this is my first finished piece from it. Its a side grain orientated vessel 5 1/2" wide by 3 3/4" tall without the finial. The flush fitting lid is Bocote and the finial turned from aluminium. There is more waffle etc about this on my blog(linked under homepage in my profile) if anyone wants to take a look http://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

Comments and critiques welcomed.
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b178/johnnyjtaylor/woodturnings/acaciaSmall.jpg

Roger Chandler
09-01-2011, 4:03 PM
Very nice! I like the grain in the acacia, and you have a nice form.....do you turn the aluminum with standard turning tools?

Johnny Taylor
09-01-2011, 4:08 PM
Thanks Roger, and yes the Aluminium is turned with a small spindle gouge, if its sharp and you're not trying to take too much material off at once it turns surprisingly easily.

charlie knighton
09-01-2011, 9:06 PM
pretty wood & nice form

Paul Williams
09-01-2011, 10:24 PM
Nice form, but I really like the grain in that piece of wood.

Chris Burgess
09-01-2011, 10:40 PM
Sweet. Very well done.

Bernie Weishapl
09-02-2011, 10:05 PM
Great looking wood and form. Nice piece.

Steve Schlumpf
09-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Nice work once again John! I am becoming a big fan of mixed media when it comes to turning just because it adds something unexpected to the mix! Looking forward to seeing what you create next!

John Keeton
09-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Johnny, I have looked at this piece several times, and I am still trying to sell myself on the aluminum. I think it would look really sharp on a black and white form, or perhaps a blue or gray form.

But, you do such beautiful work in the woods you are using, and the warmth of the bocote lid and acacia form just cry out for one of those nice brass finials you do. Just my opinion - still great work, though!

Baxter Smith
09-03-2011, 1:39 PM
The acacia is very pretty and I like the finish Johny. The overall piece grabs your attention but the three different elements are "so different in color and grain" that they seem to compete for attention.