PDA

View Full Version : Wet stones and sharpening.

Gordon Eyre
09-01-2011, 3:43 PM
I am trying to become more of a neanderthal person and so In a previous post I mentioned that I had bought a set of Norton stones (along with several things that will need to be sharpened). As soon as I received the stones I set about to sharpen some plane irons and chisels. It was not long before I realized that this was only half of the problem with keeping things sharp. My stones soon became less than flat and while I worked with float glass and some sandpaper it was less than ideal. Today I found that Highland Hardware has the DMT 10"x4" diamond lapping plate for $179, which beats LN and several other retailers as well. Long story short, I ordered one and it will be on the way to my house shortly. This purchase along with all the other neanderthal purchases I have made recently, has once again made me realize that no hobby is cheap and he who dies with the most toys wins.

Oh by the way, I just got back from the emergency room with five stitches in my finger from a very sharp chisel. Yes, I was being stupid and failed to snug up the piece of wood on my table before using my chisel. One thing about it the chisel made a really clean cut that was exactly 3/4" in length, even the doctor mentioned that it was a very clean cut. Could that be a testament to my new set of Narex chisels and/or my Norton stones? Wow, imagine what I can do once I get my diamond lapping plate! :)

Chris Griggs
09-01-2011, 4:21 PM
One thing about it the chisel made a really clean cut that was exactly 3/4" in length, even the doctor mentioned that it was a very clean cut. Could that be a testament to my new set of Narex chisels and/or my Norton stones? Wow, imagine what I can do once I get my diamond lapping plate! :)

So happy to have you continuing down this slippery slope with us. FWIW I think the cleanliness of the cut is a testament to your sharpening abilities more than anything else. The sharpener matters more than the sharpening medium.

John Coloccia
09-01-2011, 4:25 PM
I've had stitches from a chisel too. The most important thing is to be sure to wipe the blood off the chisel before panicking. The blood will rust it almost instantly. When that's done, feel free to panic and cry.

Chris Griggs
09-01-2011, 4:33 PM
I've had stitches from a chisel too. The most important thing is to be sure to wipe the blood off the chisel before panicking. The blood will rust it almost instantly. When that's done, feel free to panic and cry.

Cat pee will also rust a tool very quickly, seriously. Don't ask me how I know this.

Gordon Eyre
09-01-2011, 4:54 PM
So happy to have you continuing down this slippery slope with us. FWIW I think the cleanliness of the cut is a testament to your sharpening abilities more than anything else. The sharpener matters more than the sharpening medium.

I feel better already Chris. ;)

This gave me a good laugh, especially since that is exactly what I did. In addition I wiped the blood off of the floor and my workbench before going to the doctor. :D

Cat pee will also rust a tool very quickly, seriously. Don't ask me how I know this.

I'm not even going to go there Chris. ;)

Bob Warfield
09-01-2011, 5:29 PM

What he said...Bob

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
09-01-2011, 7:58 PM

What he said...Bob

Thirded. . .

Christopher Hawkins
09-01-2011, 8:19 PM
I was taught to treat chisels like firearms. Never point them at things where they can do unintended damage. Fingers in the path of a chisel are an accident waiting to happen.

Mike Holbrook
09-02-2011, 9:39 AM
Neandering then has probably saved you at least part of a finger, think if you had been using an electric router. You could check out my buddies finger, missing the whole tip. I understand you get a much messier wound too!

Gordon Eyre
09-02-2011, 11:06 AM
I was taught to treat chisels like firearms. Never point them at things where they can do unintended damage. Fingers in the path of a chisel are an accident waiting to happen.

Now you tell me. :eek:

Neandering then has probably saved you at least part of a finger, think if you had been using an electric router. You could check out my buddies finger, missing the whole tip. I understand you get a much messier wound too!

Alright, I knew there must be an advantage somewhere. By the way the wound is healing nicely. :)

Jim Koepke
09-02-2011, 12:45 PM
Now you tell me.

The main rule is to keep body parts behind the cutting edge.

The other thing to remember is when working with planes is to not try to remove wood chips out of the mouth without great care.
Always make hand movements on the sole of the plane in the direction the of the blade.

I have nicked my finger a few times when forgetting these things.

Now I am very careful when using a chisel or plane on a tenon or other surface where both hands are in working close.

jtk

Gordon Eyre
09-02-2011, 7:08 PM
The main rule is to keep body parts behind the cutting edge.The other thing to remember is when working with planes is to not try to remove wood chips out of the mouth without great care. Always make hand movements on the sole of the plane in the direction the of the blade.I have nicked my finger a few times when forgetting these things.Now I am very careful when using a chisel or plane on a tenon or other surface where both hands are in working close.jtkGood advise Jim, thanks.

Tom Vanzant
09-02-2011, 9:51 PM
In one of the Japanese woodworking videos, the craftsman wipes the sole with his hand with the iron to clear shavings off the iron, then slaps the sole with a cupped hand over the throat... that cleared the chips and shavings from the throat area. No picking needed. It works on metal planes also.

Chris Fournier
09-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Granite inspection plate and SIC wet/dry paper. Diamond is entirely uncalled for and so limited in use as well as stupid expensive. Granite and paper will do several things for you in the wwkg shop.

Jim Koepke
09-03-2011, 1:05 AM
In one of the Japanese woodworking videos, the craftsman wipes the sole with his hand with the iron to clear shavings off the iron, then slaps the sole with a cupped hand over the throat... that cleared the chips and shavings from the throat area. No picking needed. It works on metal planes also.

I use a similar method.

When slapping the sole of the plane at the mouth, my hand movement is from the back of the plane toward the front. The liner movement parallel to the sole may be less than 1/8", but it is just a way to keep from contacting the blade's edge in an unfavorable manner.

jtk

Chris Fournier
09-03-2011, 10:16 AM
... and if a sharp tool is falling to the ground, let it. Do not try to catch sharp tools on their way to your shop floor - it won't end well for the catcher in many instances. Better 10 minutes at the sharpening station than 4 hours in the hospital.

Gordon Eyre
09-03-2011, 11:32 AM
Granite inspection plate and SIC wet/dry paper. Diamond is entirely uncalled for and so limited in use as well as stupid expensive. Granite and paper will do several things for you in the wwkg shop.

I agree about the expensive part; however, granite and wet/dry paper are not without their problems as well. Adhering the paper to the plate, not to mention the short life of the paper as well as the mess made me move to the diamond plate. It is a one time expense with a long life and is very easy to use. Your stones are always flat and the time to accomplish this is very short.