PDA

View Full Version : Tile Setting

Gordon Eyre
09-01-2011, 3:15 PM
I don't know too many places that one can find a more helpful group of handymen than here on SMC. My wife wants a tile back-splash above our counter in the kitchen. She has chosen white "subway tile" as the medium and each tile is 2" x 6" and is set in a brick laying fashion, i.e., each row offset by 3" from the row below it. I have 17 ft. of tile to lay at a height of 13 inches. The 13" is the space between my current 4" back to my counter top and the cabinets above it. I have been to the tile store and priced out all the materials as well as the wet saw rental. Now if that were all there was to this project I would get going and get it done; alas, it is a bit more complicated than that. There are 5 plugs or switch plates in this space and the one corner in this project is not a corner at all but rather a 45 degree cut off. Add this to the fact that I have never laid tile in my life but have paid close attention as others have. I am fairly adept at visualizing, measuring, cutting and just generally working with my hands to make things look good and be precise while doing it.

I have some concerns about how one does the best job cutting the tile to fit and look right around the switch plates and secondly, what do you do when you come to the cut off corner. I would assume that on the corner you just treat it as a regular corner with the pattern ending and restarting at both sides. In other words a seam on both sides of the corner? As to cutting the tile at the switch plate the only way I can see this as working would be to make multiple cuts until you have removed the tile material in the space occupied by the junction box?

Hey, I am open for any and all help and suggestions before I actually commit to my wife that I will do this project. In case you are wondering I did talk to a tile setter who will do the job for $300 not including materials. That would make the job a deal breaker for me and my wife would probably sulk for a week or two. :rolleyes:

Ken Fitzgerald
09-01-2011, 3:24 PM
Gordon,

If you aren't in a hurry, a book I'd recommend....."Setting Tile" by Michael Byrne....from Taunton Press....currently available on Amazon for less than $8. Excellent reference manual for setting tile.

Bob Chapman
09-01-2011, 3:34 PM
I sure that there several members here that can give you good advice. You can also get helpful information on the John Bridge forum which specializes in tile setting. Just google it.

Greg Portland
09-01-2011, 4:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EzAFEiMQQM

Don't forget the outlet extenders. An alternative to the wet saw technique shown is to drill the 4 corners (with a tile bit) and use a tile jig saw blade (Bosch T130DG, etc.).

Gordon Eyre
09-01-2011, 4:46 PM
Gordon,

If you aren't in a hurry, a book I'd recommend....."Setting Tile" by Michael Byrne....from Taunton Press....currently available on Amazon for less than $8. Excellent reference manual for setting tile.

Thanks Ken, if I have time I will take a look at that.

I sure that there several members here that can give you good advice. You can also get helpful information on the John Bridge forum which specializes in tile setting. Just google it.

Thank you Greg, I will watch that for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EzAFEiMQQM

Don't forget the outlet extenders. An alternative to the wet saw technique shown is to drill the 4 corners (with a tile bit) and use a tile jig saw blade (Bosch T130DG, etc.).

Very good tips Greg, I was planning to go to my electric supply house and ask them what was needed when you set tile around the box. I do have an excellent Bosch jig saw and had not even thought about a tile blade.

Jim O'Dell
09-01-2011, 10:11 PM
In setting tile up to the outlet, just cut the tile where the drywall stops and mount it there. The switch plate will cover over the tile for a nice finish. If the top or bottom of the outlet hole ends up in the middle of a tile, you can nibble it out on the tile saw, or cut with a jig saw and diamond blade as Greg suggested. I'm not sure I'd do the 4 holes, although wall tile like that should be pretty soft and cut/drill easily. I'd just jig saw the spot out like I would on wood, starting with the vertical cuts, then angle up to the line one direction, and finish up the cut going the other direction. Make sense?? Hard to write directions for things like that.:o Jim.

Peter Stahl
09-01-2011, 10:39 PM
Take a look around the John Bridge Tile forum. Doesn't cost anything to join and you might get a better reply than what we can give here. Like Jim said, you can nibble it out with the tile saw.

Gordon Eyre
09-02-2011, 11:03 AM
In setting tile up to the outlet, just cut the tile where the drywall stops and mount it there. The switch plate will cover over the tile for a nice finish. If the top or bottom of the outlet hole ends up in the middle of a tile, you can nibble it out on the tile saw, or cut with a jig saw and diamond blade as Greg suggested. I'm not sure I'd do the 4 holes, although wall tile like that should be pretty soft and cut/drill easily. I'd just jig saw the spot out like I would on wood, starting with the vertical cuts, then angle up to the line one direction, and finish up the cut going the other direction. Make sense?? Hard to write directions for things like that.:o Jim.

Thanks Jim and yes I understood what you were saying. I feel confident in cutting out the switch box hole so we will see how it goes. The only thing I am wondering about now is how to treat the 45 degree corners from a layout perspective.

Take a look around the John Bridge Tile forum. Doesn't cost anything to join and you might get a better reply than what we can give here. Like Jim said, you can nibble it out with the tile saw.

Peter, I will go onto the John Bridge Tile Forum today. Hopefully I can learn how to treat the layout of the corners.

Tim Boger
09-02-2011, 8:41 PM
Hey Gordon,

I ran my own Tile business in Hawaii for 25 years and have continued since then helping family and friends with their projects ..... I can answer any question you can come up with. If you wish, feel free to PM me your phone number and when it would be convenient for me to call you. I'll be off work and home in my shop all day Sunday and Monday.

Once we talk you'll realize the project is much simpler than it appears.

Tim

Gordon Eyre
09-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Hey Gordon,

I ran my own Tile business in Hawaii for 25 years and have continued since then helping family and friends with their projects ..... I can answer any question you can come up with. If you wish, feel free to PM me your phone number and when it would be convenient for me to call you. I'll be off work and home in my shop all day Sunday and Monday.

Once we talk you'll realize the project is much simpler than it appears.

Tim

That is very kind of you to offer your help. I have sent you a PM with my phone number.