PDA

View Full Version : 25 years ago today....

John Pollman
02-22-2005, 9:14 PM
Where does the time go ?

It was twenty five years ago today that the US beat Russia in the "Miracle on Ice" game in the 1980 Olympics in Lake Placid. I remember it like it was yesterday. It was quite an accomplishment by a bunch of college kids that had been skating together for only seven months vs a basically professional Russian team who some of which had been playing together for a decade !

Hats off to you guys !

RIP Herb Brooks

Oh yeah,

if you're interested they're showing the game again on ESPN Classic Sports Network right now.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Jeff Sudmeier
02-22-2005, 9:59 PM
Wow!! I wasn't alive for it, but I have seen it on classic before. I will be looking for it now.

Carl Eyman
02-22-2005, 10:02 PM
Remember how important we thought it was to beat Russia? I venture to say that today it would mean more to us to beat Canada, always a hockey power, than to beat Russia. Yes, I remember it well. Just saw extended excerpts on tape a couple of weeks ago and it was still a thrill.

Joe Mioux
02-22-2005, 10:07 PM
I remember exactly where I was when I heard the news. Sitting in Newman Hall's cafeteria eating dinner at the University of Illinois. A bunch of guys rushed in the cafeteria screaming "WE WON!!!!".

Steve Ash
02-22-2005, 11:24 PM
Yep. I remember it well. Thanks for the reminder John.

Jerry Olexa
02-23-2005, 12:53 AM
I was lucky enough to be there for that game in Lake Placid. My company had rented condos, purchased tickets and invited certain guests to that winter Olympics. I was one of a small group allowed to attend and accompany these guests. It was very cold but a thrilling and exciting week. I'll never forget it!! Thanks for remembering..

Jim Dunn
02-23-2005, 7:46 AM
Seen it too. Didn't even watch much hockey then but, I new I was watching history in the making. Rabid Blue's fan now. Just wish those idiots could have gotten the games under way this year.