PDA

View Full Version : ClearVue installation question

mreza Salav
09-01-2011, 12:54 PM
I am installing my Clearvue cyclone and have a question for those have done this before.
I'm at the stage of installing the impeller. I have followed the instructions: inserted the taper-lock (hub?) into the shaft and then the impeller over it and have tightened the screws according to the chart provided (they are pretty tight now) but the back of the impeller is not touching the taper-lock (see the photos below). Is this normal? Am I doing this right or is the taper-lock supposed to be sitting completely on the back of the impeller?

I have tried to re-position the taper-lock further ahead or back but the same thing happens.

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I am using the "standard-mount", not the reverse mount.

Rod Sheridan
09-01-2011, 1:15 PM
That's good, the taper lock bushing isn't designed to bottom out.

Did you use a torque wrench for the bolt tightening or the hammer method of seating the bushing?

Regards, Rod.

Mike Goetzke
09-01-2011, 2:01 PM
Been a while since I put mine in but looks like you have an awful amount of clearance between the bolt heads and impeller.

Mike

mreza Salav
09-01-2011, 8:13 PM
That's good, the taper lock bushing isn't designed to bottom out.

Did you use a torque wrench for the bolt tightening or the hammer method of seating the bushing?

Regards, Rod.

Don't have a torque wrench but measured (sort of!) the amount force I was applying. I think I were close to the specified range.

Been a while since I put mine in but looks like you have an awful amount of clearance between the bolt heads and impeller.

Mike

It's about 1/2" between them.
It seems the the taper lock is typically installed on the outside (i.e the impeller is between the motor and the taper lock) but on my impeller the taper of the hole is the other way, i.e. I can only insert the
taper-lock from back of the impeller, so the taper-lock is between the motor and impeller as in my pictures. I guess both models are Ok as I see on page 25 of the manual.

Bob Vallaster
09-01-2011, 8:56 PM
Mreza,
Make sure you're starting the socket head cap screws in the unthreaded holes in the impeller hub. If you use the threaded jacking holes on the way to the threads in the opposite piece, there will be no net clampng action; there will be a false torque when the caps bottom on the hub flange.
That said, it doesn't look much different from the pix in your earlier thread on how to get it apart.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?148514-How-to-loosen-a-taperlock-on-a-motor-shaft-on-Clearvue-system&p=1517385&highlight=#post1517385

BobV

mreza Salav
09-01-2011, 11:47 PM
Good catch Bob. Yes, it's the same way I got it from the previous owner; and yes, I've inserted the screws into the larger holes of the impeller and they only catch the threads on the taper lock (or hub?).
It seems on some impellers the taper bushing is welded backward hence the installation is different (i.e. in some impellers the taper lock goes on the blade side of impeller and on others like mine goes on the back of the impeller).