PDA

View Full Version : CO2 Tube for a Trotec

Quintus van der Merwe
09-01-2011, 12:08 AM
I'm pretty new here and already I'm asking for help!! :o
I need to replace my Trotec Speedy 100, 30W, CO2 tube soon. The technician checked it the other day and said the tube I have in at the moment is on its last legs :(:(
I'm from South Africa and are looking for a supplier in the USA. I believe it is a Synrad tube the Speedy 100 has fitted. The price of a tube in South Africa is about the same as what a new machine cost in the USA!
If anybody has experience in changing a tube and know where I can purchase one I would appreciate it :)

Rodne Gold
09-01-2011, 12:30 AM
You may be able to get it repaired in durban by wilford steel for a good price , they repair synrads. What are RSE quoting for a repair?

Quintus van der Merwe
09-01-2011, 2:06 AM
Rodney
Nice to see some other South Africans on the site.
When you say "repair" are you saying that the CO2 tube can be refilled?
Thanks for the name, I will give them a call as soon as I'm back in South Africa
RSE is asking R35000.00 for another tube.
I'm so gatvol for RSE is not funny! I bought another machine (Vision MaxPro) from them and got just about no backup from them. After two years of trying to get the thing to work I went and dropped it off at their premises and said I want my money back. Quickly they then fixed the machine that they kept on saying we just cannot operate. It ended up that they had to change the motherboard etc. on the machine. Everything with RSE is a fight and I am tired of it.
That is why I'm thinking of importing my own tube from the states.

Rodne Gold
09-01-2011, 3:14 AM
Wilford steel does no longer exist as far as I can see ,I used em 2 yrs ago , I know the business was sold , maybe they exist as another name. They were in Durban..they were agents for synrad , maybe mail synrad direct and ask who in SA can fix their tubes . What exactly is wrong with the tube? Maybe its NOT dead
Gencotech in JHB may also be able to help you with a source. They distribute GCC and they will have tubes avaialble or can sort you out. Their no is 012 25311732/3.

I recon a 30-40w Refurbed tube will cost you $3500 + shipping if you go with a synrad. you might as well up the power if its not too expensive..40w

RSE are not known for great service , when I bought my first lasers many years ago it took them 10 days to get a quote to me , I had already ordered at that stage. I was looking for CnC engravers and Francois was trying to get me to buy one of theirs , but the info i was getting verbally didnt correspond to actuality , so I bought elsewhere.

You might want to look at my threads "despatches from china" and "chinese lasers , they are here!!" , You can actually buy a whole laser , 80w , 1200 x 800 or so for R50-60k Landed , A smal;ler 600x900 with a 60w tube will cost around $5k landed , thats R35000!!!
This maybe a better option than changing the tube. you can also give me a call any time if you want to discuss anything re the SA laser scene etc. My tel no is 021 592 4123

Ian Franks
09-01-2011, 8:06 AM
Hi Quintus
You can also try telescope shop.co.za (http://telescopeshop.co.za/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=59_68&zenid=a1eb6d095217f37e494fd8fb2320e9f2)they are in Edenvale. That is where I bought my laser, Gerhard told me he also stocks laser tubes. I have no interest in this shop so the mods can remove the link if it is not allowed.
Welcome to SMC good to see others here.

Rodne Gold
09-01-2011, 10:50 AM
Seerms its chinese laser tubes and stuff they sell , they have glass tubes , he needs a metal sealed RF source. Seems EXTREMELY pricey too , $170 tube for R4500 odd , should be a lot less , maybe R2000 ($280) lenses are also expensive , they cost $15-20 from china , they charging R600 ($90 - R7 to the $)...seems the typical SA gouging mentality?? Power supply cost is $ 170 (R1200) ... they selling for R8000.

Quintus van der Merwe
09-01-2011, 2:39 PM
Thanks guys for all the info!
Rodney, the laser just stops cutting/engraving and then a hour or two later works without a problem.
Eddie from RSE says it is the first symptoms of the tube that needs replacement. The laser is 5 years old now and has worked steady.
Maybe I need to look at another laser. Did you bring in your own lasers?
I'm overseas at the moment but will be back in South Africa next week. I will definitely give you a call when I get home.
I need to read your threads about the Chinese lasers. I was always told to stay away from a laser made in china. I suppose it changed.

Ian Franks
09-01-2011, 3:26 PM
Seerms its chinese laser tubes and stuff they sell , they have glass tubes , he needs a metal sealed RF source. Seems EXTREMELY pricey too , $170 tube for R4500 odd , should be a lot less , maybe R2000 ($280) lenses are also expensive , they cost $15-20 from china , they charging R600 ($90 - R7 to the $)...seems the typical SA gouging mentality?? Power supply cost is $ 170 (R1200) ... they selling for R8000.
Rodney I was just trying to give another option I know of. I agree we get gouged here so it is nice to know other sources. I went to the sign show last week and was impressed by the radiant Plexiglass. Now I see you have to buy the whole sheet at over R2k per sheet. :eek:
But I did find a supplier of PETg for stencils. Anyway sometimes a few different options are good to know.

Quintus van der Merwe
09-01-2011, 4:18 PM
RodneyMaybe a stupid question, can't I replace the Synrad tube with a RECI tube?I need to speak to you about bringing in a Galvo and a normal CO2 machine.IanIf I may ask, where did you find a good supplier for PETg?

Quintus van der Merwe
09-01-2011, 4:26 PM
RodneyMaybe a stupid question, can't I replace the Synrad tube with a RECI tube?I need to speak to you about bringing in a Galvo and a normal CO2 machine.IanIf I may ask, where did you find a good supplier for PETg?

Kay Bengtson
09-01-2011, 6:58 PM
Synrad series 48-1· 48-2· 57-1· 57-2· 60-1· 60-2 tubes can be repaired/refilled. PhotoVac Laser is the company. Google it to find the web page. I used them to repair my 1997 era 25W Synrad. It now rates at 32W and works great. Cost $1600 because it needed some electronics repair too. The RF caps are inside the tube enclosure on mine. They burnt out and the last company to fill the tube over pressured it putting stress on them causing them to fail.

Kay

Rodne Gold
09-01-2011, 11:19 PM
Anything is possible , but it's cheaper to buy a complete laser from china than to retrofit a glass tube in a RF tubed laser. Radiant has been around for a long time , we did a huge job for Spurs round 3 years ago using it , a coupla 100 dreamcatchers that hung in their stores. After that job , despite pushing the product , seems no one really wants it , its way too expensive. I probably have some offcuts you could pick up if you in CT anytime. I am bringing in my own Acrylic sheeting , mirror acrylic , engraving lams etc as I am tired of being ripped off here , having to endure bad service and so on. Im waiting for a shipment of 5 tons of perspex right now , should be here in a week.

Quintus van der Merwe
09-02-2011, 2:14 AM
Rodney
Will you be selling any of the acrylic when you land it? I also read in one of your threads you imported medals. We are doing a fair amount and it is always difficult to get good medals in SA. If you are wholesailing some I will be interested to buy some from you.
(We still just a small company trying to make it out there!!)
I think You correct in the statement of bringing in a laser. I hope you will not mind if I give you a call at some time when I get back to Sa and pick your brain in how to get one into Sa.
Thanks for all the info so far!

Rodne Gold
09-02-2011, 2:55 AM
I will be in violation of the terms of service on this forum by using it as a trading ares , so you can PM or call me.
The quality of the stuff is exceptional , especially the acrylic which is all cast and has much better tolerances than local stuff , smaller sheets too , I went for 1800 x 1200 size in both the acrylic and mirror acrylic. Medals too are amazing for the money and I do have some of em and acrylic to spare and can pass it on . I am always prepared to share with and help other folk in SA so long as it doesnt impact on my local retail sales. (Western Cape)
I will willingly help you with any info you need re a laser or a CnC router in terms of what to look for and how to import it and so on. You say you overseas right now , where?

Mark Sipes
09-06-2011, 1:21 AM
I have a Speed 25 which required a tube refill after 4 years... Synrad did the work and tweeked the electronics.....It's been 7 years years since and never had a problem.... Laser runs 4 - 6 hours a day at the shop. I would at least give Snyrad a call before I would look at a different tube.

Quintus van der Merwe
09-07-2011, 11:44 PM
Mark
Do you have the contact details for Synrad in the US?
Thanks

Kay Bengtson
09-08-2011, 12:39 AM
Initially, I contacted Synrad too and was given a estimate on cost of $2,500-$4,000 and they recommended Photovac as an alternative. PhotoVac was indeed much less expensive. When I dealt with Photovac they said that Synrad sends them these older lasers for repair and reconditioning.

Tim Killeen
US Sales & Marketing Manager
Synrad, Inc.
T: 425-349-3500
E-mail: timk AT synrad DOT com Change the AT to @ and DOT to .

Kay