PDA

View Full Version : Hand Engraved Planes

Layne Zuelke
08-31-2011, 11:49 PM
A friend recommended me to Sawmill Creek and thought you guys might like to see some of my latest tools. I have a little studio in Baton Rouge called Cajun Handplanes. I specialize in the restoration and hand engraving of Stanley and other planes and tools. I'd love to get feedback on my work. Stop by the website If you would like to see more photos. These are just some of my most recent commissions.
Merci Beaucoup and Happy Woodworking!
Layne Zuelke

Brian Kent
09-01-2011, 12:07 AM
I really like your work, Layne. Fine job.

Jim Paulson
09-01-2011, 7:18 AM
Beautiful work on the engraving. The floral designs are awesome. I also like the sleigh design of the wooden hand planes that you showed us.

Jim

Chris Griggs
09-01-2011, 7:25 AM
Welcome to the Creek. Very nice work! I might need to swing over to Baton Rouge from New Orleans one day and check your work out in person.

Brian Ashton
09-01-2011, 7:42 AM
I have one really big complaint... the pictures are too small. Love the work

Will Boulware
09-01-2011, 9:38 AM
Amazing work! Thanks for sharing! I love it when really talented people post things of this caliber. It provides great motivation for the rest of us (and on this forum, "us" likely means "me." :D )

Mike Henderson
09-01-2011, 10:54 AM
Great looking work. Thanks for posting. I had seen your site before but forgot about it. I'll have to look through my planes to see if I have one I want to decorate the way you do.

Mike

P.S. I used to know Baton Rouge well - I graduated from LSU, but a lot of years ago.

Tony Shea
09-01-2011, 4:15 PM
Great work. Last time I was at Lie Nielsen I saw some pictures of some of their handplanes with engravings on them. They looked incredible and very similar, almost similar enough to believe that it may be your work. I made me want one and am contemplating setting you up with a plane of mine, might make a great gift as well.

But the work is top notch and I love to see this type of work as well, this is why i visit this place everyday.

Zahid Naqvi
09-01-2011, 6:10 PM
wow! neat stuff. As mentioned earlier need bigger pictures.

Layne Zuelke
09-01-2011, 6:51 PM
Thanks for all the kind words guys. As for seeing other Lie-Nielsens engraved, It was most likely the work of Catharine Kennedy. Our work is somewhat similar as we have alot of the same mentors and influences. I think Catharine was engraving planes long before me. She has inspired me to do this work full time. I was a jeweler for 23 years and most of my engraving was limited to jewelry. All done under the microscope of course.
I can't speak for Catharine but most of my work is inspired by the great English gun engravers working in London. Guns have been engraved in this manner for centuries and similar styles run throughout.
Sorry about the small photos. I thought these were linked and could be enlarged but apparently not. If you do a search on Cajun Handplanes you can find my website and see larger photos. Sorry but I can't post a commercial link.
Thanks guys,
Layne Zuelke