PDA

View Full Version : Oak Lamps

Bernie Weishapl
08-31-2011, 10:28 PM
Well Mr. John Keeton and Mr. Gary Max here are the two lamps that I made from the oak you sent. They turned out really nice. I took a pic's with a shade on one and not the other. They are around 10 1/2" tall and the base is 4 1/2" in diameter. Finished with a couple of coats of shellac then 7 light coats of lacquer. They showed up unexpectedly so had to get a couple of pic's quick before she took them home. She was just thrilled with them. Thank you John and Gary for your help with the oak. I appreciate it and my SIL says she does to.

Jim Burr
09-01-2011, 12:35 AM
Well done Bernie!! SIL had no choice...you did the wood proud!

Billy Tallant
09-01-2011, 12:58 AM
Very nice job Bernie! Those lamps look good...

John Keeton
09-01-2011, 7:15 AM
Bernie, glad the oak worked out for you, and glad Gary was able to help, too! Looks like you did a great job on both!

Roger Chandler
09-01-2011, 7:19 AM
As one that has turned a lamp myself.........they are nice indeed! Nice work on those Bernie. I think a couple of coats of antique oil would have been nice to bring some color to the wood a little...........then the lacquer. My tastes go for not totally blonde on oak, but many people prefer just the wood color.

Bernie Weishapl
09-01-2011, 8:09 AM
Thanks to all. John thanks again. Roger she wanted the blonde, light oak look. So didn't use a oil. Normally I would have put a coat of antique oil on then lacquer.

mike ash
09-01-2011, 11:27 AM
Great job on those lamps Bernie. Keep llokng over you shoulder, as I expect you'll have more orders for them!

Prashun Patel
09-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Nice lamps. Maybe your SIL will let you borrow her iron for those backdrops? ;)

Mike Willeson
09-01-2011, 1:07 PM
Very nice Bernie. Are the bases separate pieces or is the lamp all one piece?

Bernie Weishapl
09-02-2011, 1:29 AM
Thanks to all. Mike I have already got a couple of orders but told them no oak.

Mike W. they are turned as two seperate pieces.

Prashun I need to get a tent made up but with my clock repair shop going gang busters and trying to get some turning in between grandma's trips to see the grandkids it is the last thing on the list and gets put off a lot. :D

Donny Lawson
09-02-2011, 6:47 AM
Very nice Bernie, You did the Oak proud and will be well used for years to come.

Cathy Schaewe
09-02-2011, 9:12 AM
Bernie, those are very nice. I have some spalted maple that might make a nice lamp. How did you drill it out? Just a long drill bit, or what?

Chris Burgess
09-02-2011, 9:41 AM
Bernie,
Those look great. I really dislike turning Oak, its like sitting in a hay loft in the middle of a tornado, but I sure like the finished product. Nice work.

Bernie Weishapl
09-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Thanks again to all.

Cathy I use a long drill bit to drill. I have a 3/8" drill bit with #2 MT I got from CSUSA that fits the tailstock to start the hole. Then I put the long bit in a jacobs chuck in the tailstock and drill away. You have to have the speed down to around 250 to 300 rpm and go slow. Sometimes like on oak it will wonder just slight off center where it exits the wood. I think that spalted oak would make a beautiful lamp.

Steve Schlumpf
09-02-2011, 1:36 PM
Good looking lamps Bernie! Nice form, pretty wood and the base looks large enough to provide stability without overpowering the form! Glad your SIL likes them!!