PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on a bandsaw

Jack Gaskins
08-31-2011, 9:23 PM
I am looking to purchase a large bandsaw. Looking for value so the Grizzly models is what I will probably go with. I will be resawing small boards up to 8 inches max but I need to make bowl blanks for my woodturning also so I need a powerful enough lathe to run through wet thick chunks of wood. I had a Grizzly G0555 and didnt like it cause it did not tension very well and the blade guides absolutly sucked! I was looking at the G0514XB2 looks like what I need and is in my price range. Dont need a lot of bells and whistles just a powerful saw that tensions good and has good blade guides.

Thanks
Jack

Peter Aeschliman
09-01-2011, 1:29 AM
I've never actually used a grizzly bandsaw, but I have played around with them numerous times in their Bellingham, WA showroom. Their big steel frame saws are all really nice looking machines. The guideposts move up and down using a hand wheel, and the guideposts seems to be parallel to the blade. I definitely recommend the machines with the cast iron wheels and trunions and there's a noticeable different in heft. The fit and finish is great.

I really can't imagine you'll find a better bandsaw at that price. But keep in mind my judgments are only based on what you can tell without actually running any wood through the machines.

brian watson
09-01-2011, 8:21 AM
Just recently picked up the Jet 14" with re-saw up to 12" -- awesome saw. Highly recommend.

Joseph Tarantino
09-01-2011, 10:23 AM
rikon 10-325. plenty of reaw capacity and customer and tech support that are ,for the most part, complimented by users. so, when i finally find a deal on a good pre-owned 10-325, i'll kick my POS jet 18" to the curb and replace it with a rikon.

Eric DeSilva
09-01-2011, 10:46 AM
I like my Laguna 14SUV. Resaws up to 14", has loads of power, will drive a 1" blade, and has a compact footprint.

David Kumm
09-01-2011, 12:59 PM
If you are resawing you want the heaviest, strongest frame you can find in your price range. Weight is a factor here. The older MM-Centauro saws were weel built but didn't have the excessive resaw height of todays versions. If you find a used 20-24" with 12-15" resaw you will have a better saw than many of the current ones- excepting the Centauro or Aggazanni of today. ACM made good saws as well although I think the 18" is a little light for resawing. If you don't go above 8" they are all OK. As you go wider the equation changes quickly. Ask about the frame and throat construction. If you can't get details, buy from someone who can give them to you. Dave

Jack Gaskins
09-01-2011, 5:31 PM
Just seems like you have to pay an arm and a leg now adays to get a darn bandsaw thats worth a crap. I will never own another 14" bandsaw again after all the agany I went through with the Grizzly G0555. There are a lot of 20 saws on Craigslist but they are all 3 phase.

Eric DeSilva
09-01-2011, 5:44 PM
I did not like my 14" PM BS, and was shopping for something larger. I was shocked to end up with another 14"-er, but the Laguna is not like any other 14" saw I've seen.

Randy Dutkiewicz
09-01-2011, 5:53 PM
Jack,

I purchased the G513P and have absolutely LOVED it! Like you, I didn't need all the bells and whistles and has done everything I've asked it to do. I've resawed walnut with no problems or bogging down. It's a 2HP 220V machine, so it has plenty of power. I did, however order the upgraded fence (like on the 514x2) as I simply wanted a better fence. Glad I did because I didn't really care for the one that came stock - wasn't horrible, but not great either. The upgrade was WELL worth it. The machine is VERY stout. Now, some on here are dead-set on cast iron wheels. I've used both and from experience I can tell you that I notice no difference in the aluminum wheels. Saws through whatever I throw at it with no issues! I would think that if you were re-sawing logs, then maybe go with the CI wheels as it may perform a little better, but I don't resaw logs. Dust collection works very well also. Although I have it connected to a Grizzly cyclone, so that is a plus. Blade tensioning is as simple as it gets IMO. Blade tracks perfectly and the guides are nice. Give it a look. I think you'd be pleasantly suprized just how much that machine can handle. I've never regretted getting it at all.

206557206558206559Randy

Jack Gaskins
09-01-2011, 7:27 PM
Thanks for the feedback Randy. I need to find someone around here that has a Large Grizzly adn go take a look at it.

Thad McCulloch
09-01-2011, 7:33 PM
I just got the Grizzly G0513X2F bandsaw a few weeks ago. Hauled it downstairs into my basement shop, set it up, and it seems to track just fine for resawing. I couldn't justify the nearly $400 extra to move up to the 514X2 and so far, I see no reason that I'm likely to regret that decision. I did buy a 3/4" Woodslicer blade for it and put that on in lieu of the 1/2" blade that came with it. Just don't forget that on either the 513 or 514 you've got two 4" dust ports that you need to connect to your DC, which requires some plumbing that you'll need to find somewhere.

Jim Matthews
09-02-2011, 7:14 AM
Getting the most out of your saw...Michael Fortune printed this article (http://www.furnituresociety.org/furn/docs/mfortuneBandsaw_Complete.pdf) in FWW some years ago.

I own the biggest saw I could find, and it's overkill for my needs. The things that make it run best are noted in the Fortune article - a coarser blade than I would have chosen (for chip ejection) and blade alignment.
Once I had the blade properly aligned to the table, rather than skewing the fence, my motor drew less current. With the blade squared to the table, the back of the blade clears the kerf without friction or drag.

I would look for three things in any saw;
Wheels for mobility.
Two dust extraction ports.
Depth of cut (as opposed to height for resawing).

I was focused on resawing and can't really take advantage of this with my current planer.