PDA

View Full Version : The big purple arrives....Plane Gloat!

Mark Singer
02-22-2005, 8:46 PM
Steve Knight is not the fastest plane maker around. It seems like a month since I ordered the Purple Heart Smoother....today she arrived ....amidst rain ...stormy skies and did I mention Rain!
It is a great plane! I tried it on even curly maple and it did great! The blade is about 1/4" thick ...the mouth was set tiny. The shavings were see-through ...transparent. Walnut, Nopal, Ash....all worked great! this is a 50 degree plane....the sole is inlayed with Ipe. It is a bit more massive than I thought, but has I nice weight and feels good in the hand. I can't wait to actually use it on a project.

Oh Yeah.....

Karl Laustrup
02-22-2005, 8:49 PM
Beautiful piece of art, Mark.

How fortunate it's also a tool. :)

Jim Becker
02-22-2005, 8:54 PM
That's sweet, Mark...feel free to bring it with you when you visit one of these days... :D

Corvin Alstot
02-22-2005, 9:26 PM
I have heard great things about 50 degree high angle smoothers. I might have
to makes some strides in that direction too. Nice selection.

Your 102 still looks surprizingly new given all the work thats been moving out of
your shop i.e. new desks and files. Mine has tarnish on the top rear blade hold down.

John Weber
02-22-2005, 9:40 PM
Wow that is bigger then I would have thought. Does he make different sized smoothers? Looking forward to a full report.

John

Richard Wolf
02-22-2005, 9:43 PM
She a real beauty.

John Dingman
02-22-2005, 9:45 PM
Mark,

Very nice plane! That is a nice bench you've got there too ;) Congratulations on the new addition to the arsenal.

Enjoy it!
John

Alan Turner
02-23-2005, 5:10 AM
Mark,
Nice score. Did it come with the iron already honed? Was it crowned a drop? Same specs as my HNT Gordon, it soulds like, but I think mine may be bedded at 60 degrees. The stout iron and the fine mouth are what do it for these woodies, IMHO. Enjoy.

BTW, I have found that when I don't use mine for awile, I need to briefly lap the sole before use as there is a drop of movement. For me it is not an everyday plane, but is only used on difficult woods. You may use your more and not have this problem.
Alan

Mark Singer
02-23-2005, 9:36 AM
Alan,

It came already tuned. The edges of the iron are chamfered a little. It seems dead flat, I didn't check it with a straight edge though. I just adjusted the blade for a finer cut.
Mark,

Nice score. Did it come with the iron already honed? Was it crowned a drop? Same specs as my HNT Gordon, it soulds like, but I think mine may be bedded at 60 degrees. The stout iron and the fine mouth are what do it for these woodies, IMHO. Enjoy.

BTW, I have found that when I don't use mine for awile, I need to briefly lap the sole before use as there is a drop of movement. For me it is not an everyday plane, but is only used on difficult woods. You may use your more and not have this problem.
Alan

Jon Olson
02-23-2005, 9:47 AM
Beautiful Plane!!!! Hand made planes are a thing of beauty and skill.

Congrats.

Jon

Mike Scoggins
02-24-2005, 1:35 PM
Mark,

Beautiful plane. I was curious about your impression of the Knight vs. the ECE Primus that I've seen you mention on occassion. Do you have a favorite of the two, or are these different animals sort of like comparing apples and oranges?

Mike

Mark Singer
02-24-2005, 3:29 PM
I think they are worth comparing. At this point I haven't spent enough time with the Knight to know. The ECE has an adjustable mouth also, same pitch...50 degrees. The ECE has a very stable sole/ body in the way it is joined and the Knight may move over time. The adjuster on yhe ECE is nice...I have been adjusting the old tap way for years though, it is like automatic versus a stick. I will let you know for how they compare over the next month or 2.
Mark,

Beautiful plane. I was curious about your impression of the Knight vs. the ECE Primus that I've seen you mention on occassion. Do you have a favorite of the two, or are these different animals sort of like comparing apples and oranges?

Mike