PDA

View Full Version : Do imported Japanese cars have radiation?

Raymond Fries
08-31-2011, 8:34 PM
After 19.5 years we have decided to replace my wife's 1992 Saturn after we learned the transmission is going. Not worth $1,000 for them to pull it and decide where to go from there.

Anyway, we were looking at the Honda Fit and there is a two month waiting list. I am wondering if we have to worry about radiation after the nuclear disaster not too long ago. :rolleyes:

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Brian Kent
08-31-2011, 9:09 PM
Uuummmm, no?

Get the Fit if it fits you. My friends love theirs.

Brian

David Weaver
08-31-2011, 9:41 PM
After 19.5 years we have decided to replace my wife's 1992 Saturn after we learned the transmission is going. Not worth $1,000 for them to pull it and decide where to go from there.

Anyway, we were looking at the Honda Fit and there is a two month waiting list. I am wondering if we have to worry about radiation after the nuclear disaster not too long ago. :rolleyes:

If it'll make you feel better, you can get a dosimeter from former soviet countries for about $400. I'm not talking about something 50 years old that was stashed away here, but something new, digital, etc that you can check with.

There is radioactivity everywhere, it's just a matter of how much.

I doubt there's anything in any cars right now at a level that would pose any kind of threat, even if some of the parts are from 20 km away from fukushima. Besides, you can wash off any solid surface, anyway.

Larry Edgerton
09-01-2011, 6:00 AM
My Mazda was made in Nagasaki. It makes it easy to find in the parking lot.

Larry

Dan Hintz
09-01-2011, 6:05 AM
There was a thread about this shortly after the accident... the answer is "absolutely not".

Myk Rian
09-04-2011, 8:55 AM
I am wondering if we have to worry about radiation after the nuclear disaster not too long ago. :rolleyes:

Radiation? Hardly. They wouldn't be allowed in the country if they did.
Why would it matter? We poisoned ourselves back in the 40s, 50s, and 60s with all the nuclear testing.

Tom Stenzel
09-04-2011, 9:47 AM
Now I'm upset. Does this mean my 1997 Saturn only has 5 years left in it? Dang, now I'm worried.

A Fit wouldn't work for me as we sometimes use the Saturn for the family saving some wear and tear on the minivan. But if the Fit fits...

The people I know that have had Hondas have liked them. Being a stick shift guy I liked how well the clutch and shifter worked in the ones that I drove.

I wouldn't worry about the radiation. My brother drives a semi into Canada everyday and it's routinely screened with a radiation detector at the border.

-Tom Stenzel