PDA

View Full Version : Gloats

Mike Cruz
08-31-2011, 8:34 PM
I have a gloat that I want/need to post, but haven't yet taken a pic, so...not yet. I was thinking about "why" I post gloats. It it because I am bragging? Is it because I'm proud of them? Is it because I'm a butthead and feel the need to share a "mmmmmwwwwwooooohhhhhhaaaaaa" (that was my best attempt at an evil laugh)?

I think the MAIN reason is that I can think of nowhere, no one, no ANYTHING that would/might appreciate a good bargain more than my extended family here at SMC. Most of us are tool-a-holics. Most of us apprectiate when someone not only gets/aquires something for their shop, but when they get it for a good price. Obviously, bargaining someone down to the point that you are stealing it from them is just wrong. But when you find something for a give away price (priced by the seller), you (I) feel I need to share it with others that will/may appreciate the aquisition.

I've had more than my fair share of gloats.

Thanks for being there for me to share them with. I can only hope that I've inspired others (out of my region, of course...don't want any competition :) ) to keep searching for great deals.

Doug Morgan
08-31-2011, 8:51 PM
Let me be the first to share with you:

YOU SUCK!
Even before your picture!

Jeff Monson
08-31-2011, 9:09 PM
I think I'm going to vote for choice #3. Maybe a poll is in order just to see what everyone else thinks?

I will crown you "gloatmaster" though, it may be well deserved.

Julian Tracy
08-31-2011, 9:13 PM
206467Well, if you won't spill the guts on what your gloat was - allow me to tell the group about a recent gloat of mine.

Guy was listing three Veritas handplanes: Low-angle smooting plane, a low-angle block plane, and a bullnose rabbet/chisel plane. All used, but in excellant condition, probably had never been sharpened past the factory grind.

He had them listed at $60 each, or $150 for the set. I called and told him I'd give him $175 for the set of three if he could hold them for a few days, there was no way I could drive out there (35 minutes away...)

Picked them up Sat. First high quality planes I've ever owned.

Might sell the smoothing plane as the block plane is pretty similar, but I might keep it too!

I guess the reason I like sharing these gloats is that you folks are the only people I "know" that can appreciate how amazing some of these deals are.

Best $175 I ever spent - I can't stand buying things new at retail... I like things even better when they were good deals.

Julian

Joe Adams
08-31-2011, 11:35 PM
Julian,

You rock!

Cyrus Brewster 7
09-01-2011, 1:59 AM
Mike,

Please (don't) tell me it is the 8" Craftsman jointer for $75. I am not in town to get it, so if this is what you are referring to, I am glad you got it instead of me. BTW - if you are talking about something else the jointer is/was located in Pasadena - it was posted on CL yesterday.

Enjoy

Mike Cruz
09-01-2011, 9:16 AM
Ya'll are a trip. Givin' me YOU SUCKS on a thread about gloats in general...not even about a specific one! Cyrus, no, not the jointer. I'm all set with the jointer I have. Although my mom lives in Pasadena, maybe she could pick it up... Hehe, wouldn't do that to a 72 year old lady.

Anyway, great nab Julian. And that was the reason for this thread. Not actually a gloat, but sharing why I do. Because you all can actually appreciate them. Only those that understand the value of tools and shop supplies can understand the excitement that it generated by finding something you need or have been looking for...without spending retail. Kudos to you Julian, for finding those planes, and even offering more than his asking because you knew their value and needed him to hold them.

Maybe I'll go take a pic or two and start my next gloat thread. :)