PDA

View Full Version : Handyman Club of America

Paul Prescott
02-22-2005, 8:43 PM
Any members? Worth it for a newbie like me? Almost sounds "too good to be true..."

Karl Laustrup
02-22-2005, 8:57 PM
Paul, I've been a member for about 5 years I think.

IMHO it is not worth it. They got on my bad side when they got me to renew for 3 or so years when I still had 2 years left of my membership. They also send and call you to become a life member. Just isn't worth it, again that's MHO. I will not renew.

Jim Becker
02-22-2005, 9:01 PM
Did it one year...it's largely a money-making operation for the firm that runs them as well as several other similar associations. Mag is ok, but the same information is available in a number of other publications. Buy a tool with the money you save by not "subscribing"... ;)

Lou Morrissette
02-22-2005, 9:07 PM
Paul,

Welcome to the Creek. Lots to learn here from some great folks. As for the Handiman Club, been there. Save your money. There are better mags out there to learn from. They'll haunt you and the "tool trials" they claim you will get are usualy worthless. The one "tool" I got to try out was a cheap garden gate latch.

Lou

Paul Prescott
02-22-2005, 11:30 PM
Thnks guys. Kind of figured it wasn't worth it. Really didn't expect to receive any great "tools" to test!

Jerry Olexa
02-23-2005, 12:55 AM
Don't waste your time and $. I was disappointed! Only tried it once.

Stefan Antwarg
02-23-2005, 6:38 AM
Never tried it, but at least I have a lifetime supply of those plastic screw gauges.

Stefan

Mark Patoka
02-23-2005, 9:29 AM
Save your money. I signed up as a lifetime member a few years ago when they included a large set of drill bits, a cordless drill set and something else along with a lifetime subscription to their magazine. The drill bit set is good but their brand of power tools is very low end. The magazine is OK but as others said, the same info is published in several other magazines. I've been able to test two tools so far, valued at less than $10 total.

Once you're signed up, they make their money by trying to get you to buy book and video series on a monthly basis along with periodic specials on tools, bits, wrenches, etc.

Frank Pellow
02-24-2005, 1:12 PM
Thanks for the warning, everybody. I liked the only copy of their magazine that I saw and I was seriously considering joining. Now, I will not.