PDA

View Full Version : End table with a difference (photos)

David Keast
08-31-2011, 3:01 PM
The table that lived between my armchair and my wife's was always cluttered with magazines and spectacles and wine glasses and television remote controls and...and...

So we decided to design a piece of furniture for the purpose. The top is big enough for wine glasses, the back has a magazine rack and the front has 3 drawers : his, hers and the television remote controls.

It is in oak, stained and waxed. The joints in the top are mitred with angled mortices and tenons. The whole thing is around 2 ft high by 18" square top.

Walter Plummer
08-31-2011, 3:11 PM
Very nice. I really like the magazine rack.

Jerome Hanby
08-31-2011, 3:19 PM
That's a nice idea. Our living room isn't setup to share one, but maybe a pair for his and her's

Ken Fitzgerald
08-31-2011, 4:12 PM
Unique design and I like it! Well done David!

Jim Rimmer
08-31-2011, 4:16 PM
Nice plan and well done. But I see the remote control drawer is available for other storage. :D

Prashun Patel
08-31-2011, 4:25 PM
Filed under "Now Why Didn't I think of that".

Nicely done.

gary Zimmel
08-31-2011, 6:47 PM
That hidden magazine rack sure adds some flare to this one... Nice work David.

glenn bradley
08-31-2011, 8:35 PM
Excellent solution. Very nicely done.

Gary Pennington
08-31-2011, 9:48 PM
Looks GREAT! Well designed. BTW-How many cats do you have? They look just as active as our three.

Walter Plummer
09-01-2011, 5:43 AM
I do not wish to hijack the thread but I see you are in France and I have a question you may be able to answer. How do they sell wood in Europe? Do they use a board foot (144 cubic inches) or is there a metric equivalent? Thanks, Walt

David Keast
09-01-2011, 8:02 AM
Looks GREAT! Well designed. BTW-How many cats do you have? They look just as active as our three.
5, three tiny kittens were abandoned by their mother on a local farm, we tried to save them, but it was our german pointer that came into milk and fed them. They are quite normal apart from a tendancy to bark when alarmed ! (not really).

The girl managed four kittens before we realised she was adult enough, we found homes for 2 and kept 2. Hence 5 cats !

David Keast
09-01-2011, 8:10 AM
I do not wish to hijack the thread but I see you are in France and I have a question you may be able to answer. How do they sell wood in Europe? Do they use a board foot (144 cubic inches) or is there a metric equivalent? Thanks, Walt

Wood is sold here by the metre cube. I buy live edge boards, essentially bandsawn trees, and specify thickness in mm, length in metres and minimum acceptable useful width. That is all muliplied out as a part of a m3. In reality, this all takes place at the sawmill just up the road (there are several around here) and I select the boards myself. If I cant find what I want I tend to buy much bigger and resaw. As a matter of interest I pay around 900 euros per m3 for air dried oak and a bit less for chestnut. Kiln dried is a bit cheaper.

As for a board foot, no-one here knows what a foot is, except the thing on the end of your leg that is, though even that is a 'pied'.

Matt Meiser
09-01-2011, 8:17 AM
That's a neat idea and I really like the overall design. End tables are on my long term list. We're using one of my very first projects, Norm's version of a shaker table and another of my own design that don't match and don't have nearly enough storage.

Walter Plummer
09-02-2011, 7:11 PM
Thanks. Sorry for the delay in responding but I am on vacation in Maine and had to borrow a computer.

David Keast
09-03-2011, 11:35 AM
One thing I forgot to mention, European and US magazines are different sizes, so the mag. rack was made tall enough for the taller European magazines, but wider than is usual here to take the wider US magazines. Got to have somewhere for FWW !

Bobby O'Neal
09-06-2011, 1:29 PM
Cool design ideas. Well done.