PDA

View Full Version : Foley / Belsaw owners?

Jim Laumann
08-31-2011, 12:12 PM
I found the following ad in the classifieds where I work....

Planer/profiler saw. 5 hp Foley belsaw with bits and vacuum.

I emailed the lady, asked for a price - she responded w/ $350. She indicates little use, she will get me some pics later today.
Don't know the model (yet).

I Googled Foley Belsaw - they indicate the price for a new model 985 machine as $2469. Don't know the model yet, nor what knives might go w/ it.

Don't have a planer at this time, so just that function by itself would be an addition to the inventory - much less being able to create moldings.

Any thing I should look for w/ regard to problems, etc?

Many thanks

Jim

Jerome Hanby
08-31-2011, 12:21 PM
I think I'd be tempted to grab that one fast...

phil harold
08-31-2011, 1:50 PM
I just bought 9103 last week with a 3hp for 250

this was a 12" planer/molder

things to look at are worn belts, chains, gears, and see if the castings are cracked also check for cracked/damaged feed rollers

Start it up and listen to vibration run some test wood thru it

Mine need some tweaking but I had it up to snuff by the weekend.
has a lot more power than a lunch box planer!

Don Jarvie
08-31-2011, 4:14 PM
If it comes with some moulding knives then 350 is a great deal. The 5hp motor is worth 200 itself. Nothing will stand in your way with a 5hp motor.

In the middle of the cutterhead the jibs can be removed and the moulding knives inserted. The jibs are in 3 pieces so the middle is removable.

Get some pictures

Don

Rusty Eads
08-31-2011, 5:31 PM
I have a 9103 with the 5 hp motor and molding knives. I paid 300 for it. the bed somehow was a little out of adjustment and i had to remove the bottom chain and turn some of the threaded rods to get it level but other than that i haven't had a problem. the thing is a beast but very loud especially in my basement shop. I have thrown oak, cherry, walnut, and ash at it without it even blinking an eye. I couldn't ask for a better planer but then again it replaced a little ryobi lunchbox so take that comment with a grain of salt lol. Anyways, I say jump on it, you will be very pleased. Oh and they still sell parts for it should anything go wrong and brand new blades are only like 50 bucks.

Jim Laumann
09-01-2011, 10:42 AM
The story thickens - traded email w/ the lady this morning (asked if she still had the planer), and got the following.....

Yes- I do . You are the first of three. I made a mistake on the price. I need to sort that out with the other person. I am waiting for model numbers from him as well. I am around all weekend and I won't have anyone else look at it until you do. My cell number is xxx-yyyy but I also check my email often.

At least I am first in line....

phil harold
09-01-2011, 11:56 AM
make an appointment early
have cash
the one you saw listed for $2469 is not like the one i have

For craigslist Items the best thing to do is see and buy before the other people

you could point her to these ebay auction

Don Jarvie
09-01-2011, 3:03 PM
If the price changes as in up you need to see what extras comes with it. The more moulding cutters the more its worth. Most Belsaws with no cutters go for 150 to 350 around the Boston area.

Kevin Godshall
09-01-2011, 5:34 PM
I "inherited" a 985 from my FIL, with about 30 different molding cutters. As a planer, it is my workhorse. I rough plane all my lumber through it and then finish off with a Grizz Lean and Mean (very clean finish for last 1/16").

I've made several different baseboards and window trims. Took a bit to get the set up exactly right, but once I did, I was very impressed with the results.

Only downside: Parts are hard to find. There is a distributor in CA, and AFAIK, that is it for parts. And, not cheap. You will pay for replacements. Luckily for me, even though my machine has been used hard for years, flooded 2x, and neglected for about 5 years before I got it, it runs like a champ. I keep tinkering on it and trying to get it back to "factory", but for now, it gets the job done.

GL with your purchase. (I may be in the market to let go of some cutters, HMU if you're interested).

Jim Laumann
09-02-2011, 12:54 PM
Still don't know what model the planer is, but the lady sent me 2 pics, and indicated the $350 price is now firm, and includes the planer and the dust collector - which looks like a Delta. Don't know about #'s/types of cutter knives.

Any guess's as to the model of the planer? Trying to set up a time to see it tomorrow.

Jim

Jim Laumann
09-02-2011, 1:06 PM
I searched Amazon - didn't get a hit on a Delta unit of the style in the pic, but have seen pics of units like this one (here on SMC if I recall correctly).

Kevin Godshall
09-02-2011, 5:26 PM
Looks like my 985.

When you look at it, lift the top and check the belts on the left (viewing from infeed side) and chain drive (right hand side).

Also, if you're getting molding blades, you will need the bed guides as well. Mine has both high ones and low ones. You could rig something up if you don't have em, but if you don't see em, wouldn't hurt to ask.

GL with it.

Don Jarvie
09-02-2011, 6:15 PM
350 with the dust collector is a great deal. The DC is worth 100 or so. Subtract that from the planer and it looks good. Even if you dont get the cutter the planer is worth it.

It look like it will need a little clean up so dont be overtly concerned with the condition.

Jim Laumann
09-06-2011, 10:55 AM
I went, I saw, I bought it.....the machine was housed in a old farm grain storage building, back in a dark corner, so the inspection was done via flashlight, which the seller had, as I had forgotten to bring one (seemed like I had everything else though)....

Belts look good, chains were clean, not gooey w/ oil/sawdust. The bed has some surface rust, but is not pitted, so it should clean up w/ steel wool/scotch brites. Eyeballed the motor - a 5hp Baldor - 220V / 23A 1 phase (luckily) - I was fearing 3 phase when I saw the 5hp. Was unable to run it - while there was a 220 outlet in the shed, it was the wrong outlet style for the planer.

The wooden board (on top of the machine) in post #10 turned out to be a wooden box, full of goodies for the planer. The owner wanted to part out the contents and sell them at a 'piece' rate - I wanted that talk terminated. I had wanted to run it (palner), and told the owner that, and that I would "swap" being able to run it for the contents of the box being included in the base price. She agreed. Based on the brand on the motor, and the condition of the machine, I'm not real concerned about it firing up when I get power run for it. Gave the lady her asked for $350 - did not try to argue down the price, as she had indicated there were others in line to come see it.

The dust/chip collector turned out to be Belsaw brand, there was a extra cardboard barrel, a cyclone cover lid, a couple lengths of 4" hose as well.

Was able to back my trailer up to the shed, and got it loaded on the trailer w/o much difficulty - only a 3.5-4" height differance between the shed and the trailer bed (downward).

The trip home started out bright and sunny (after morning rain), but the sky clouded over, and there were dark clouds gathering in the west - and they got darker and darker - it started to rain about 3 miles from home, and then stopped briefly - when I was about a mile away - stuff did get wet, but not soaked.

Got home, got the trailer in the shed, unhitched and the o/h door closed, and the clouds opened up - it just poured - we got 3/4" of rain (much needed - been very dry) inside of 20 minutes.

Got the stuff off the trailer, and the contents of the box sorted.....

L to R, top row:

Dust/chip collector, extra tub, etc.
Planer
Inards of the machine
View of the bed
The wooden box (approx 12x12x20")

2nd row:

Surface Sander attachment
Spare pare parts, tools
2 sets of spare planer blades, 3 storage boxes, and a set installed

I spent some time this morning searching Belsaw's site - while I don't think the planer / collector are gloatable by themselves, I think the box contents are gloatable - in the box were the original owners manuals, a planer knife setting guage, 1 cutter head for door/window trim & the back relief knives, two picture frame knives. When I look at the prices for the box contents - as in if I had to buy them new, we are talking $650 +/-, and since I didn't have any more cash (than the asking price), I think I got a good assortment of loot.

One item that was not present is the 'bed board" for the molding knives - the owners manual for it was in the box, but the board was no where to be seen/found. :(

Jim

Jim Laumann
09-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Here's a pic of the knives....also the original chip chute....

Jim

phil harold
09-06-2011, 11:22 AM
I think you did good
;o)

Don Jarvie
09-06-2011, 2:14 PM
Great deal. If your really ambitious you can break it all down and give it a good cleaning. Take some pictures and bag all the parts according to the parts diagram.

If you want to remove the chains on the side gears they need to be unlinked. It seems like you could remove them whole but it won't work.

Any thing else let me know.

Don

Gregory Heard
09-06-2011, 5:38 PM
Jim,

I got the same unit to make louvers for some plantation shutters. It cost me $150 for some 3-1/2" knives (I got a knife to make a sled for the louver to ride in after the first cutis made. I later found I could have just as easily made the sled on my router table so I spent $75 too much) If you use a lot of knives you will want to make the "Molding guide system" it is shown in the manual. You can buy the kit to make the guide system from The CB Tool Group at http://store.cbtoolgroup.com/planermolder-accessories-c337.aspx I get stuff from there or from www.belsaw.com (http://www.belsaw.com) but I am sure to check both sites because one will usually have specials going.

Greg

Greg