PDA

View Full Version : I need some opinions please....

Ken Fitzgerald
08-31-2011, 10:19 AM
Should I round over the edges of the doors on an entertainment center I'm building? I have a 1/8" roundover bit and have been pondering rounding over the outside edges.

Opinions appreciated.

Gregory King
08-31-2011, 10:38 AM
Ken, I find it amazing that a simple round over can enhance most any piece. My second favorite is the little cove detail on the lower portion of the Roman Ogee bit.

Larry Fox
08-31-2011, 10:43 AM
If you can bump into it and it will hurt if you do so then I would say that you would want to do something. I prefer a chamfer myself but it is a personal choice.

Montgomery Scott
08-31-2011, 10:48 AM
Aside from oak being one of the ugliest woods available, if you are doing overlay doors then a roundover would look fine. If inset then it will look like crap.

Ronald Blue
08-31-2011, 10:51 AM
I think either a small round over or chamfer as Larry suggested is a good idea. Any sharp edge is subject to showing any dings or sometimes even wear as well as potentially inflicting harm to others if they bump into it. Just my 2 cents worth.

Rod Sheridan
08-31-2011, 11:00 AM
Ken, my opinion is that round-overs are over used.

I do break the corners with a hand sanding block, and find that it imparts a more "hand crafted" appearance than a machined profile.............Regards, Rod.

Prashun Patel
08-31-2011, 11:35 AM
1/8" provides a finished look without making the edges look contemporary or round. I am partial to the look of chamfers because you can make them even less prominent than 1/8".

Paul Symchych
08-31-2011, 11:37 AM
A round-over does change and in most cases enhance the appearance. I usually knock the sharp edges off with a sanding block or with a palm sander. Unless it is a big piece doing it by hand is quicker than using a bit. If I pull the router out a tiny chamfer is a nice option.

A telling insight into flat surfaces with sharp edges is the big ol' Rolls Royce radiators of years ago. The big surfaces are not flat but are ever so slightly convex and the edges are rounded over. Done flat and square the radiator loses it's hand crafted look and simply wouldn't look as distinguished.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-31-2011, 12:58 PM
Well.....I made some samples and the LOML decided she liked the 1/8" chamfer...so that's what it will get.

Rod Sheridan
08-31-2011, 1:04 PM
Well.....I made some samples and the LOML decided she liked the 1/8" chamfer...so that's what it will get.

Smart decision Ken....................Rod.

Kent A Bathurst
08-31-2011, 6:58 PM
Aside from oak being one of the ugliest woods available................

Whooaaaa, there Scotty!! Beam me up!!!

I make the large majority of my pieces out of QSWO - and a good portion of those use $$$ veneer-grade wood for the "show" surfaces.

And - they look terrific, if I do say so myself.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-31-2011, 7:09 PM
Kent....the LOML loves oak. If she's happy, I'm happy.

Kent A Bathurst
08-31-2011, 8:15 PM
Kent....the LOML loves oak. If she's happy, I'm happy.

Ken - if you are happy, then I am happy..........or, at least, not looking over my shoulder. :p:p

The second wise decision to admire your wife's class.................You, of course, being reason #1.

Kevin Stricker
08-31-2011, 9:05 PM
Just to clarify, you mentioned corners but I am guessing you meant edges. Chamfered or RO edges is a good idea, doing either to corners is asking for trouble. Unless you like blown out corners stick to sanders for the corners or run several doors on edge and put a sacrifical end board to keep from having bad chipout.

BTW for a small 1/8" edge profile I will climb cut first then do a standard cut for the cleanest results.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-31-2011, 9:07 PM
Kevin....you are absolutely right..I meant edges ...Thanks! I will correct it.

And as far as the corners.....backer board will be used.

Thanks again!

Peter Quinn
08-31-2011, 9:22 PM
If opinionating is still open, mine is skip the round over in 99% of cases, it looks like some strange effect for child's furniture, clean lines look better then dull rounds. A cock bead is really the only round thing I like to see on a doors edge. I do like a very subtle broken edge done with sand paper or a block plane, because no edge can stay razor sharp, but 1/8" is huge IMO. I can see the chamfer, but I personally prefer those a heavy 1/16"' or done at an angle more like 30* than 45*' so they go deeper than they go wide..On the subject of oak, it certainly lends itself to a variety of designs and uses in furniture and cabinetry. It can be quite beautiful. I have also seen some of the biggest abonitations ever done in oak which may serve to sully it's reputation in the eyes of some. It is perhaps more challenging to make an elegant or feminine piece using oak than say figured maple, mahogany or walnut. But it is certainly one of out most valuable domestic species and should not be written off so cursively. Plus it's tough as nails and cheap as dirt, and I made my work bench from it!

Jim Summers
08-31-2011, 10:25 PM
Another good thing about breaking the edge with a sanding block or even round-overs is that from what I read in a Flexner book is the finish will be much more durable. I guess it has a higher probability to chip and peel with sharp edges.

ymmv

Paul Girouard
08-31-2011, 11:53 PM
Garrett Hack has a article in FWW this month on easing edges.. Interesting reading his opinion on easing edges.

On doors I'm not a fan of a chamfer , I prefer either a 1/8" radius or a lower part of a classic cutter profile , a slight indent with a smallish shoulder.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b299/PEG688/Nelsonvanity7.jpg

But if the wife likes the chamfer, that's the one to use !!!No doubt about it:-))))

Paul Girouard
08-31-2011, 11:55 PM
Another good thing about breaking the edge with a sanding block or even round-overs is that from what I read in a Flexner book is the finish will be much more durable. I guess it has a higher probability to chip and peel with sharp edges.

ymmv

I concur on knife edges the finish will wear away quickly , and chipping of both the finish and the wood is more likely when the inevitable ding happens.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-01-2011, 12:00 AM
But if the wife likes the chamfer, that's the one to use !!!No doubt about it:-))))

Yupper......I know who butters my bread......and after all...it's her entertainment center and she pays the tool bills. I get new tools every time she has a special request. Shortly I'll post pictures of the EC. I now have $150 worth of MLCS Katana router bits for future use. I didn't wear them out on this project.

Just call me stupid.;)

Joe Angrisani
09-01-2011, 9:35 AM
.....I have also seen some of the biggest abonitations ever done in oak....

I am not familiar with this type of furniture. Is it a type of wall unit or hutch, or is it a type of door?

Carl Beckett
09-01-2011, 4:30 PM
Happy wife

Happy life