PDA

View Full Version : PM66 rebuild update ( with Pics)

Charlie Woods
02-22-2005, 8:42 PM
Well the cabinet for the saw has been stripped, primed and painted. It was not that difficult, just that it was done a little at a time. Both Nick ( for those of you who have not read the previous posts, Nick is one of my senior tech theatre students who is helping with this project) and myself worked on it as time permitted. The process was really pretty easy. We used standard heavy duty oven cleaner to loosen up the paint. After donning, safety goggles, gloves, and resperiators we sprayed it on a small section, waited 20 minutes and scrapped/or used a wire brush wheel and a drill to get the paint off. After the paint was removed we sprayed the cabinet down with warm water to get the residue of the cleaner off, then started on the next section. The oven cleaner worked like a charm, the only drawback was the mess of green paint left when we were done with each section. I did leave the large white stripe sticker on the saw, but removed the top and bottom smaller stripes, because they were peeling in too many places. Once the paint was stripped a nice shiny cabinet was in place( see first pic).

Nick taped of the white sticker, and any other part we did not want to be green. The primer was a grey autobody primer, that went on in three coats. ( 2nd pic) Once the primer dried for 24 hrs the green paint went on next. Now as much as I wanted to use origional PM green, the only place I could find that would match it and put it in preassurized containers wanted way to much for it, especially since I wanted to put on multiple coats. I did find at Walmart a pretty close Krylon gloss green that worked for me, and was much cheaper. ( see pic 3-5) It lookes better than I thought it would. Even as the green paint went on Nick still wanted to paint it blue like he origionaly suggested. That is one of the perks of being in charge and using your own money for the project, you get the final decesion. I will add a sealer over the green to prevent paint from scraping off to quickly. The next step is to lubricate and reassemble the interior of the saw, and get it ready for final set up. This will be a very slow and careful process, to make sure we both get each step done right with a minnimal of mistakes. I will post more pics of the assembly and completion. Thanks for looking and all of your input.

Jim Becker
02-22-2005, 8:45 PM
Looks great, Charlie! That's going to be a sweet machine when you are done restoring it.

Mark Singer
02-22-2005, 9:16 PM
Charley...it looks great! Only it is supposed to be Gold....I know the older ones are green ...mine is Gold....

Jim Dunn
02-22-2005, 10:07 PM
Charley it looks like it's really coming along. I do have a suggestion for your next green project. I used Rustoleum Hammered on this project and I really like the it. May be something you could use in the future.
Jim

Lars Thomas
02-22-2005, 10:58 PM
I use the Rustoleum Hammered in my shop too (except, I used the silver). I love the texture it has. I even used it on a TV stand once - turned out pretty cool. Lars

Tim Morton
02-23-2005, 3:36 AM
Looks great...I did the same thing to my PM60 jointer last month. Very rewarding huh?

Marshall Harrison
02-23-2005, 7:46 AM
Looks great Charlie! Thanks for the update. I was wondering how things were going since you had been silent about it for a while. Wish I had the time/nerves to attack a rehab like that.

Charlie Woods
02-25-2005, 3:11 PM
It has really been fun and a good learning/teaching tool for both Nick and myself. It really has not been as hard as some other rebuilds I have read about, but did have it's own challenges. I appreciate the positive comments and will pass them onto Nick as well. Will post more pics when we start reassembly.

Thanks

Steve Evans
02-25-2005, 3:24 PM
Charlie

OT but how did you get the top left image to invert. The only ways that I can think of where it could occur would be a flipped slide or doing it on purpose with Photoshop or something like that. Or could it happen at the film lab when they're processing?

Oy yeah, the saw looks great :D

Steve

Chris Padilla
02-25-2005, 4:33 PM
Steve,

It just looks like a mirror image...easy to accidentally do. I often liked to do that with pictures of my car and claim it is a right-hand drive! Kinda funny....

Oh yeah, the rehab looks great...love that stuff.

Charlie Woods
02-25-2005, 7:38 PM
I am not aware of anything I might have done. I just compressed the photos to the right size, so I could upload them. I went back and checked the origional photo, and it is the same way.
I don't think I am ever going to get using all of this digital stuff down. My students learn this technology so much faster than I do. As an example; we purchased ProTools Digital recording/editing software to use in our recording studio, here at school. I have had several professional workshops, to help get me up to speed on using the program. One of my technicians downloads a copy of a manual for the program and in 3 days knows just as much or more than I do about the program. I can still remember working in the recording studio in college cutting and splicing 8 track and 24 track reel to reel. What took me a month to cut,splice and rerecord now takes a a day or less. Oh well that's progress.
Sorry for rambling. Thanks for the comments

Jim Dunn
02-25-2005, 8:18 PM
Hey Charlie, ever use any of that paint I described above??

Charlie Woods
02-25-2005, 11:51 PM
Yes, ony a number of occasions. I have used it several times on stage to make wooden shields, and fake wooden I-beams look like metal. Even at a distance it looks real. My home is decorated in rustic southwest style( I have made several pieces in my living room using old barnwood, and fence pickets). I buy simple iron decoratios, like stars, horseheads etc... to accent each piece. I spray this paint on them to give it, well a hammered look instead of a smooth casting look. I will take some pics of a couple of furniture pieces and post them to show you.