PDA

View Full Version : WoodMaster 718P Opinions Wanted

Ronald Blue
08-31-2011, 10:12 AM
I have came across a WoodMaster 718P Planer, Ripsaw, Moulder, Drum Sander Combo. It is in very good condition but I think the price is high. They are asking $2200 for it and it can be had new for $2740. Some of it has never been used but I am also not sure every single piece is there in the group either. I am looking for an opinion on what a fair price would be and if it's a good machine. It has a Leeson motor on it. I didn't look but it is supposed to be 5 horse power.

David Kumm
08-31-2011, 10:26 AM
Half is sort of the rule of thumb. If it is a quest machine and really in good condition it might warrant more. Depends on what you are using it for. Woodmaster is a good US company with good support. I own one for molding but don't think it is a great planer- OK but not great. Nature of the design eliminates chipbreakers and feed rollers are spaced away from the cutterhead to make room for the knives. Dave

Ryan Hellmer
08-31-2011, 10:33 AM
You'd be pretty lucky to find one for half. I paid 1600 for mine with the propack plus upgraded motor, digital height scale and extra planer head with 3 sets of knives. They are good machines (between my dad and I, we have 4). I agree that they aren't the perfect tool, but for what they can do, they do a pretty good job. Unless you're used to an old-school powermatic planer (or comparable) I think it would do a better job planing than most. There aren't many of the new imports that will do a better job.

Ronald Blue
08-31-2011, 10:47 AM
I should add that it does have the digital height gauge as well. Batteries were dead in it but that shouldn't be an issue. The options were wrapped in plastic but I would want to check closely that everything was there before I made a serious offer.

David Kumm
08-31-2011, 11:18 AM
Ron, I don't disagree with Ryan. I run old planers and think little of the current imports so his opinion is valid.
Variable speed is a good deal and it is a good molder. Dave

Glen Butler
09-01-2011, 2:21 AM
I tend to think 60% is a good place to start for used pricing. I don't own a woodmaster, but I have looked heavily into them, and have run one. I would probably buy if the timing and money were right because they are so versatile. However, the nagging thing is the school of thought that a machine capable of doing multiple tasks, doesn't do any of them superbly.