PDA

View Full Version : Bosch Glide & Makita LS1016 - Space Savers?

Darrell Bade
08-31-2011, 7:13 AM
Did a search on these two SCMS and did not find much information.

I have a trusty Makita SCMS that I have had for a lot of years and it still cuts true. I am getting ready to build a new bench in my new shop for a SCMS and use my old fence system that is 5' on each side of the saw.

My old saw requires about a 30-32" wide bench to make it work. Seems these two new saws would save about 6" which is a lot of real estate when you are talking about a bench that is pretty useless other than for the saw and fence. Even though my saw is still cutting good I am thinking that the time to make a switch would be before I build the bench.

Anyone have any expreience with these two saws? Seems like the reviews I found on line were only so-so for both. I think I would prefer the Makita because of its lower cost and the fact that I have had two of them over the past 25 years and they performed well.

Doug Colombo
08-31-2011, 11:38 AM
I can't comment on the Makita but I have the Bosch Glide and one of the reasons I bought it was the fact that it can sit flush to the wall and still crosscut 14". I can go measure it and let you know what bench size is needed if that would help you out. It may also get me moving to build the new bench to hold it. I love the saw and am very happy I purchased it.

Doug Colombo
08-31-2011, 4:02 PM
Just took a quick memsurement. From the back of the saw to the front edge of the base - 22". The control for the angle adjustment comes out past that point
(about 11 inches), but the saw will fit with no issues on a 24" wide bench and still make the 14" cross cut. I attached a picture to show the measurements. Hope this helps.

Mark Ashmeade
08-31-2011, 6:54 PM
+1 on the space saving nature of the Bosch. I don't know if it helps any, but the extension wings telescope into the sides too, as does the vertical fence extension. I'm actually finding that feature useful too, as mine isn't built into a bench. When not in use, it doesn't take up that much room.

Jim Neeley
08-31-2011, 8:25 PM
Space is a major consideration for me, so virtually everything is on casters. My Glide is on the T4B gravity-rise stand, which adds additional slide-out extension wings, stretching 8-1/2 feet. I "
store" mine in the set-up position to the left of my table saw, since my TS is now used mostly for ripping.

When I need to cut something extending over about 18" to the left of the TS blade, 10 seconds or so and it's moved. With the 14" cross-cut on the Bosch, I don't find I often have TS cuts requiring moving the glide.

YMMV...

Kevin Stricker
08-31-2011, 8:59 PM
Doug,
Just curious, what is the dimension from the back of the saw to the fence on the Bosch Glide?

Seems the Bosch has gotten better reviews than the new Makita, with the exception of it's lack of handles which is a big negative if you take it in the field but no problem for shop applications.

Clint Olver
09-01-2011, 8:59 AM
The extensions on most SCMS are easily removable, which will give you more space. I take mine off when it is in the shop. It only takes a minute or two to put them back on when I need to take it somewhere. I'm looking at the Bosch as well.

C

Doug Colombo
09-01-2011, 5:04 PM
Doug,
Just curious, what is the dimension from the back of the saw to the fence on the Bosch Glide?

Kevin - I just took the measurement and it is 13" from the back of the saw to the front face of the fence.

John Petsche
03-26-2014, 11:02 PM
Great photos of the depth measurements. Thanks a bunch.

Steve Peterson
03-27-2014, 12:00 PM
I have a bench design similar to Clint with a Bosch Glide. My bench is 26" deep and the saw sits nearly to the back. I built a dust collector shroud with a 6" port that gets in the way of a few compound cuts, so I mounted the saw on a piece of melamine so it can be slid forward if needed. The melamine has a tight side to side fit inside the cutout so the saw stays in place without any additional hold downs.

I love the Bosch Glide. They only had the 12" version when I bought mine. Apparently there is a 10" version now that is around $100 cheaper.

Steve