PDA

View Full Version : Beauty and the Beast

Bob Rotche
08-31-2011, 6:49 AM
I just posted these on WTA for the Beauty and the Beast contest and thought I would post them here as well.

Beauty is a suspended vessel of figured maple with walnut legs and lid, African blackwood finial, and brass rod connecting the legs to the body. I have titled it "Skin Deep" alluding to the old saying that beauty is only skin deep and to further illustrate this, I have inset a small nugget of iron pyrite or "fools gold" to the underside of the lid pointing out that things are not always what they appear to be. It measures 12 x 5" and is finished with danish oil and beall buffed.

Beast is also a suspended vessel with ambrosia maple body, mahogany legs and lid, with African blackwood finial. It is titled "Beauty Within". This one was a lot of fun to make, letting my imagination run a little wild... The feet are carved as a stylized bird of prey talon with a serpents tail appearing to pierce and suspend the body. The finial gives the appearance of horns or perhaps making the lid look like a warriors helmet. Again, following the theme of my beauty entry, I have inset a quartz crystal to the underside of the lid illustrating that what appears beautiful or beastly on the outside may not be an accurate representation of what's inside.

As always, C+C welcomed and appreciated

John Keeton
08-31-2011, 7:17 AM
Bob, both pieces are outstanding!! I love the Beast entry - just very well done. It has good flow and balance, and the elements all work. Superior efforts on the carved talons, and I like the various directions at which the serpent tails come out from the form. Great work!

On the Beauty, I like what you have done here. The only changes one might consider would be a little less finial - both in height and mass, and I wonder what difference it might make if the supports were positioned such that the interior contour of the support was parallel with the side of the form. Notwithstanding those comments (which are really only my personal thoughts and may not be pertinent) you did some beautiful work on this one.

The finishing and tool work is first class on both projects.

Roger Chandler
08-31-2011, 7:36 AM
Bob...........very creative, and well executed! A fine pair of works of true artistry. Conceptually, stimulating and the "things are not what they always seem" is well represented..........I like your use of the blackwood for the finial..........the claws are superiorly crafted, and of course the suspension and the way you mounted the claw tails to the side of the form in the beast entry is superb!

The guys and gals on WTA have some stiff competition from you brother!

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-31-2011, 7:42 AM
Bob,
I've been watching the entrees carefully and find it difficult to choose any one as best. Your beast is more "beastly" than anything I have yet seen. You're beauty is a fantastic piece of wood and a work of art. Personally, I think the entrees in the "Beauty" division are all amazing. I wish you the best of luck. Thanks for letting us enjoy the fruits of your imagination.
faust

David E Keller
08-31-2011, 9:24 AM
Great work, Bob! Your carving talents are obvious... Those talons are fantastic! I love the delicate nature of the supports on your beauty piece, too! Best of luck on the contest!

Darren Jamieson
08-31-2011, 9:40 AM
I'd like to comment on the "Beauty" piece but I can't stop looking at the "Beast" Fantastic work!!!!!!!!!!!

James Combs
08-31-2011, 9:56 AM
I am really impressed with both of these, especially the beast. I am not any good at carving but I do appreciate other's abilities. I am sure these will be in the top two or three selections after the contest.

Bernie Weishapl
08-31-2011, 10:29 AM
Those are great pieces Bob. The carving is awesome and something I would love to be able to do. Form and flow on both pieces are superb.

David DeCristoforo
08-31-2011, 10:49 AM
Bob, your "beauty" is very nice. But the "beast".... it's positively primitive! It looks like a cross between a Viking warrior and several large animals. It is indeed beastly! I could not imaging anyone coming up with anything that would give Jerry Prosise a run for it but I believe you have done it with this one...

Scott Hackler
08-31-2011, 10:50 AM
Great pieces. I really like your beast. A lot of creativity and effort went into that one for sure.

Paulo Marin
08-31-2011, 11:10 AM
Bob,
I gotta have the BEAST.After you win:) the contest, email me!
Fantastic piece!

Paulo:cool:Marin

Bob Rotche
08-31-2011, 12:33 PM
Thank you all for the kind words but regardless of the contest results, I feel that I have already won in that I had so much fun doing the beast that my eyes have truly been opened to the almost limitless possibilities of combining carving with turning. I'm really looking forward to exploring that side of the wood art world. Too bad "more shop time" isn't one of the prizes in the beauty and the beast competition...

Jon Nuckles
08-31-2011, 2:12 PM
Fantastic! I agree with everything others have said about the carving on the beast, but I also love the design of the horns and your method of attaching them. Best beast I have seen so far. (Now I just HAVE to learn to carve!)

Chris Burgess
08-31-2011, 2:55 PM
Ohh my......those are spectaular. Your beast is AMAZING. Makes me want to buy more tools so I can turn like that........that reminds me my golf game is slipping better get new clubs.

charlie knighton
08-31-2011, 8:14 PM
the second turning reminds me of a character out of Conran the Barbarian, excuse my spelling

very nice

Baxter Smith
08-31-2011, 9:12 PM
Great work Bob! Super imagination and carving on the Beast!

Donny Lawson
08-31-2011, 9:17 PM
One thing I can say is "AWESOME". The Beast is over the top,great. Those are two pieces that should be in a museum. I wish I had your skills.