PDA

View Full Version : Saddle Squares

Jerry Bruette
08-30-2011, 9:14 PM
Anybody here use saddle squares? How do you like them and where did you buy them?

I'm thinking about getting the ones from LV, any opinions?

Jerry

Erik France
08-30-2011, 9:44 PM
I got the small one from LV a few years ago and use it constantly. I picked up the larger one last December and I use it quite a bit too. They are a tool I wouldn't want to be without. The little miter square will probably make it into my next box from LV.

Ray Newman
08-30-2011, 10:25 PM
I purchased the large and small saddle squares from Bridge City about 10 years ago. Would not be without them. I don't utilize them for every project, but they are very handy when you need them.

For those not familiar with Bridge City: www.bridgecitytools.com/ (http://www.bridgecitytools.com/)

Ken Platt
08-30-2011, 10:44 PM
I have both the large and small, and use them all the time. I don't know how I got by without them, incredibly useful .

Ken

glenn bradley
08-30-2011, 11:15 PM
I also have the large and small, Use them both on almost every project.

Sam Joyce
08-30-2011, 11:47 PM
Almost seems like I reach for it before my adjustables if I can get away with it.

Mike Henderson
08-31-2011, 12:11 AM
These are pretty easy to make yourself. I make them for dovetail marking but it'd be easy to make them for square marking. These are made from maple, about 1/4" thick. Also give you a chance to practice your hand cut dovetails.

Mike

Bill Huber
08-31-2011, 8:35 AM
I got the one from Woodpecker and love it, I use it much much more then I ever thought I would. I have both the 90° and the 45° and use them both all the time.
I guess what I really like is being able to carry the line of the edge when I have measured on the top of a board.

stephen wood
08-31-2011, 9:47 AM
I have the large and small and the miter.

I use them all the time; mostly the small one and the miter.

Stephen

Trent Shirley
08-31-2011, 10:03 AM
I could not buy any of the tools from BridgeCityTools, it would cost me too much to build show cases to store them in. Would seem wrong to store them on a plywood shelf.

I purchased the large and small saddle squares from Bridge City about 10 years ago. Would not be without them. I don't utilize them for every project, but they are very handy when you need them.

For those not familiar with Bridge City: www.bridgecitytools.com/ (http://www.bridgecitytools.com/)

Harvey Melvin Richards
08-31-2011, 10:15 AM
I could not buy any of the tools from BridgeCityTools, it would cost me too much to build show cases to store them in. Would seem wrong to store them on a plywood shelf.
I have to agree, although I have a Bridge City flexible saddle square that I bought on close-out. It works very well and it's a nicely made tool. 95% of the time I don't need the capability to bend. I also have a Lee Valley extruded 90º saddle square and although simple it's also a very good tool.

I'm on my third Bridge City protractor. None of them have been as accurate as claimed, so they kept going back until I got tired of fighting it.

I also have a Bridge City work apron. It has been fantastic, and if they still had them I would buy another. However, I don't have any use for a $600 shoulder plane with a flesh ripping knob.

Tony Zaffuto
08-31-2011, 4:18 PM
Anybody here use saddle squares? How do you like them and where did you buy them?

I'm thinking about getting the ones from LV, any opinions?

Jerry

I have the original (small) LV and I use it all the time--resides the the tool till on my bench. I also have the larger LV and I hardly use it at all--the smaller size is the one I go to. Price is right and it is accurate.

Gary Curtis
08-31-2011, 4:28 PM
I lost all reason when I started woodworking. Bought every tool I could find. Here, galoot swap meets, England and lots of mail order. Yet, when I crank up a Festool machine, I feel more like a machinist. There's a name for clunks like me, but it can't be mentioned in polite company.

When I use those black little Saddle Squares and Dovetail markers from Lee Valley, I feel different. Like a real woodworker.

Jerry Bruette
08-31-2011, 6:06 PM
These are pretty easy to make yourself. I make them for dovetail marking but it'd be easy to make them for square marking. These are made from maple, about 1/4" thick. Also give you a chance to practice your hand cut dovetails.

Mike

Those are pretty nice Mike, but I'll have to admit I have more experience with cold chisels than wood chisels. Maybe someday I'll be good enough to attempt dovetails of any kind.

Jerry

Jerry Bruette
08-31-2011, 6:11 PM
Never realized they are so popular and useful. Looks like there'll be a set in the cabinet soon.

Looked at the ones from Woodpecker and was a little disappointed they're retired. Oh well guess the LV will fill the bill nicely.

Jerry

Kent A Bathurst
08-31-2011, 6:52 PM
My LV saddle square is one of three tools that I wish I had bought 10 years earlier than I did.

The other 2 - Starrett fractional dial caliper + Starrett 4" double square.

Those 3 - plus the Starrett 12" combo - get used - constantly - every day.

Well - plus tape measures - I buy Stanley 12' x 1/2" tape measures 6 at a time for about $4, scatter them around the shop, check the calibration often, toss + replace as needed.

Gene Howe
09-01-2011, 7:07 AM
My saddle square is one from Japan. It sees service in almost every project.