PDA

View Full Version : Deals and Discounts Forum still alive?

David Prince
08-30-2011, 5:47 PM
I am only a member, so I cannot view the Deals and Discounts Forum, but it said there has been NO new postings for the last 45 days. Did the forum die after it went private for contributors only? I always looked forward to viewing it back when I had access. I also found some great deals posted there.

The deals and discounts forum would be enough reason to become a contributor if it has good deals posted.

Did the deals go away or did putting it at a contributor status only dry it up?

Kent A Bathurst
08-30-2011, 5:51 PM
It's working.

C'mon in - the water's fine.

Joe Angrisani
08-30-2011, 6:38 PM
Yes, it's quite alive and well. Just yesterday I posted two deals that are out there. One on 20-packs of Norton 3X paper for $6.80 delivered, and one for free shipping with a major woodworking supply house. In the past 6 months I've saved on a few things I've been looking for because of posts in the Deals & Discounts forum, including $120 saved on a Grizzly order and $100 saved because of a half-price deal on some Jorgey bar clamps.

The six bucks I contribute to Sawmill Creek is literally returned 40- or 50-fold. Real money. To say nothing of the ideas and solutions that the free/open parts of the website provide. As Kent said: Come in, the water's fine.

Wayne Hendrix
08-30-2011, 6:38 PM
I stopped going there awhile ago because it seemed like there were more "Check out this stupid Craigslist ad" than actual deal and discounts.

Matt Meiser
08-30-2011, 7:05 PM
I stopped going there awhile ago because it seemed like there were more "Check out this stupid Craigslist ad" than actual deal and discounts.

Probably true in terms of quantity (and I've posted one recently.) We need a new label option for "Stupid Craigslist Post".

In terms of quality I know there have been two recent items that I jumped on, but unfortunately too slowly on one.

Myk Rian
08-30-2011, 7:26 PM
I'm wondering why someone would post about a CL ad where a guy needs a switch for his wench.
I hardly think that post belongs there. Maybe it's OK to abuse D&D.

Keith Outten
08-30-2011, 7:50 PM
If there is a signifcant number of people who would prefer that we disallow Craig's List items in the Deals and Discounts Forum I would be glad to eliminate them altogether.

David, don't forget our busy season is just around the corner and there will be a lot of activity with our sponsors and other vendors here. You just missed a sweet FreeStuff Drawing that was very popular.

Paul Saffold
08-30-2011, 7:58 PM
Keith, are you going to set up a poll?

I have posted Craigs List deals for tools that others have expressed interest in on some of the forums, mostly Neander. But I will gladly stop if the general consensus is to eliminate them.
Paul

Joe Angrisani
08-30-2011, 9:14 PM
I think the "real" Craigslist links are very helpful. Maybe ask people to lay off posting about Craigslist ads that are jokes based on spelling errors? There's enough spelling and grammar laughs right here on The Creek if that's what you're after.

Jim Rimmer
08-30-2011, 10:58 PM
I kind of enjoy the goofy CL ads.

John Fabre
08-31-2011, 3:05 AM
I like reading all tool ads, keep them coming, even CL.

Dan Hintz
08-31-2011, 5:54 AM
I like reading all tool ads, keep them coming, even CL.
Thumbsup...

Keith Outten
08-31-2011, 7:53 AM
Paul,

I don't see posting a poll just yet, it seems like the majority so far prefer to see CL ads. I would wait until there are a lot of complaints before I brought the subject up publicly.

David Prince
08-31-2011, 10:21 AM
Maybe the CL ads that have spelling errors or are humorous should be posted elsewhere since they really aren't considered a deal or discount. I can see the point in posting hot deals on large CL items, but they may not be a viable alternative for someone that lives far away from the poster. Whereas a BORG item could appeal to many.

Dan Hintz
08-31-2011, 11:01 AM
Maybe the CL ads that have spelling errors or are humorous should be posted elsewhere since they really aren't considered a deal or discount.
Yes, push those to the Off Topic forum or some such... but CL deals others have posted are still useful, especially if you don't surf CL every day and a really good deal comes up.

Kent A Bathurst
08-31-2011, 12:47 PM
Yes, push those to the Off Topic forum or some such... but CL deals others have posted are still useful, especially if you don't surf CL every day and a really good deal comes up.

Lord in Heaven above.........don't put in that rule. The mods have enough to do just reading my posts, and looking for foot-faults :D. Don't add that task to their job description - they would want a raise in pay.

You could ask people to do it, and the usual suspects would comply, but there will still be some "leakage".

Dan Hintz
08-31-2011, 12:51 PM
Fine, I'll mod the classifieds section... Lord knows I spend enough money in it ;)

Bruce Page
08-31-2011, 1:17 PM

Craigslist postings will not be allowed in the Off Topic forum.

Wayne Hendrix
08-31-2011, 3:05 PM
If there is a signifcant number of people who would prefer that we disallow Craig's List items in the Deals and Discounts Forum I would be glad to eliminate them altogether.

David, don't forget our busy season is just around the corner and there will be a lot of activity with our sponsors and other vendors here. You just missed a sweet FreeStuff Drawing that was very popular.

I don't think that eliminating CL ads from the Deals and Discounts Forum is the right answer, they generally serve the purpose of the D and D forum. However, maybe creating a Woodworking Humor Forum under the Forum Info and Community Discussion group would be a good idea. CL ads that are being posted just because they are outrageous, or funny and are not in fact a deal or something people would be interested in buying could be posted in the humor forum, as well as any other woodworking related humor. This would clear up the Deals and Discounts Forum and shouldn't require any additional level of moderation.