PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is my wife feeding my kids

John Pratt
08-30-2011, 4:34 PM
I don't know what she is feeding them when I'm not home but.....

I took my 13 yr old son to get new cleats for football because he said the old ones are too tight. We went into Champs Sports who strangely enough doesn't sell sporting goods (but that is another story) and several other stores before we found a pair that fit. The final size...14!!! He is only 13. When you shoe size is bigger than your age, I think there is going to be some issues buying other clothes in the near future. I am not exactly short (6'3", Wife is 5'3"), but they are growing beyond anything we had expected. My daughter is only 15 and she just hit 5'9" while the boy is 5'10" at 13. What is going to happen when my 9 yr old twin daughters hit that age? Oh yeah, final cost of the size 14 football cleats, $212.00!!

Brian Kent
08-30-2011, 4:58 PM
I bet the summer practices have been insane with the prolonged heat in Oklahoma this year.

Oh my gosh, I just checked the weather report. It says you are currently at 107° with 20 mile an hour winds and 13% humidity. Please, nobody throw out a cigarette butt!

Matt Meiser
08-30-2011, 7:11 PM
Yeah, but its a dry heat!

Jim Rimmer
08-30-2011, 11:05 PM
[QUOTE=Matt Meiser;1767697]Yeah, but its a dry heat![/QUOTE

My oven's a dry heat, but I don't want to live in it. (Johnny Carson, I think)

John Fabre
08-31-2011, 2:58 AM
I don't know what she is feeding them when I'm not home but.....

I took my 13 yr old son to get new cleats for football because he said the old ones are too tight. We went into Champs Sports who strangely enough doesn't sell sporting goods (but that is another story) and several other stores before we found a pair that fit. The final size...14!!! He is only 13. When you shoe size is bigger than your age, I think there is going to be some issues buying other clothes in the near future. I am not exactly short (6'3", Wife is 5'3"), but they are growing beyond anything we had expected. My daughter is only 15 and she just hit 5'9" while the boy is 5'10" at 13. What is going to happen when my 9 yr old twin daughters hit that age? Oh yeah, final cost of the size 14 football cleats, $212.00!!
Holy smokes, he'll be perfect for basketball. Three daughters at $15,000 ea. = $45,000 for weddings, forget the sports and more tools.

Glen Butler
08-31-2011, 3:13 AM
$15K for a wedding? I know people do more, but my wife and I did it for 3k. After inflation, I'll give my daughter 5k, and just brain wash her from a young age that the cost of a wedding has no correlation to the happiness of the marriage. I'd put a smiley, but I'm not joking.:)

Chris Damm
08-31-2011, 8:46 AM
$15K for a wedding? I know people do more, but my wife and I did it for 3k. After inflation, I'll give my daughter 5k, and just brain wash her from a young age that the cost of a wedding has no correlation to the happiness of the marriage. I'd put a smiley, but I'm not joking.:)
A friend spent $25,000 for his daughter's wedding and she was back home divorced in 6 months. My 4 daughters that got married got $5000 each from me to spend as they see fit. 3 spent wisely and are still married after at least 7 years. The one that complained it wasn't enough and borrowed over $10K didn't last 5 years!

Belinda Barfield
08-31-2011, 2:01 PM
Y'all need to stop putting that Miracle Grow in their shoes.

ray hampton
08-31-2011, 2:18 PM
If you pour Miracle Grow in use boots, will the boots grow bigger ?

Brian Kent
08-31-2011, 2:40 PM
John,

If you faithfully put money into stocks for your daughters' weddings, you may cash in with 7% average interest or you may hit one of our big dippers and find your money worth half of what you started with. And you won't have any money left over for tools. So…

Buy 3 Lie Nielsen tools per month as a savings plan for your daughters' weddings and/or education. After 10 years you will have 360 Lie Nielsen tools.

From early on, start forming ideas in your daughters' minds about how they want your back yard to look for their wedding and reception. Ask them to pick out the design and wood and help build their Wedding Pergola. Collect recipes over the years for their back-yard wedding feast. Make friends with a pastor, and maybe with an amateur flower arranger, baker, photographer, seamstress, and DJ. Put them on your Christmas Card list and a few months before the wedding let them know you are looking for close family friends who can do wedding dresses, flower arrangements, cake, photos, etc for the cost of materials.

Make the Pergola and outdoor tables using the Lie Nielsen tools, with your daughters' help.

When the engagement announcement happens, start putting your Lie Nielsen tools (especially Anniversary Editions) on E-Bay and Craigslist. Locally you will get 80% to 90% of purchase price or Europeans will buy the used ones for 105% of purchase price to avoid the import taxes on new ones. (Make sure you use each tool and then put it in the original box).

You will have immediate pay-off on savings through the years in satisfaction of your own tool lust, get back most of the money, save money on wedding costs, and have your daughters' eternal love for working on their wedding plans a decade in advance.

Can you tell I have thought about this before? I am building an owl box to get rid of the gophers in my back yard so my daughter will want to have her wedding in our back yard when the time comes.

Brian

P.S. Since I'm a pastor by trade, I am writing this during working hours and counting it as free on-line wedding counseling.

Rick Potter
08-31-2011, 6:51 PM
My grand daughter got married Sunday. I guarantee you it was less than $3K. We had 150 people at a reception in our back yard, with finger food, and cupcakes. Even had a live jazz quartet, from the high school, who were glad to have a paying gig ($200). Everyone seemed happy and stayed around 3-4 hours.

We spent three weeks getting the yard and house ready, chairs were rented, tables were borrowed, a good friend who does wedding flowers and decorations donated several DAYS of her time, and along with my wife and daughter, created all the church floral arrangements, and floral arrangements, dishes, centerpieces, etc. for the reception. If we had hired her it would have been about $6K. Another good friend did the wedding music at the church, several friends stayed at our house, doing last minute preparations. The grandsons, and I moved everything, and then, after the reception, had to take the tables back to the church at midnite, because they needed them in the morning.

My wife, who was the wedding hostess at the church for years handled many of the details that no one would normally think about. Basically, we had a 10-12K wedding for under 3K. Now we are still putting the house back together, and taking naps.

Spending more than what we spent was out of the question, but with a lot of help from good friends, the bride and groom were blown away by what the whole family managed to do with what we had.

I am trying to post pics of them taking over my shop, but apparantly, I am not bright enough. I just cleaned up the last of the floral cuttings this morning. Some of the stuff was straight off our mango tree out back.

Rick Potter

John Pratt
08-31-2011, 6:52 PM
Brian,

That is some sage, although humerous advice. Hopefully they will heed the training that we have been giving them for years. LOML and I spent a whopping $1200.00 on our wedding to include the dress and reception in the basement of the church. The Honeymoon actually cost more than the wedding at $1500.00. She and I both agreed that money was better spent on our future rather than one day. She doesn't like jewelry (thinks it is a waste of money) or huge displays of cut flowers (since they die shortly thereafter). At the time I was just a young Staff Sergeant in the Army so we didn't have a huge nest egg anyway. It will probably run in cycles though and at least two of my three daughters will want something a little more extravagant.

Belinda - The Kids do like to work in the garden......Maybe they are absorbing some of the fertilizer through the skin.

Neal Clayton
09-01-2011, 12:28 AM
you guys should see new orleans weddings.

25k is a budget get together of a wedding.

my girlfriend's older brother got married in rome, flew both families over, probably more like 100k.

ray hampton
09-01-2011, 1:57 PM
you guys should see new orleans weddings.

25k is a budget get together of a wedding.

my girlfriend's older brother got married in rome, flew both families over, probably more like 100k.

100k to fly both families over ?

Neal Clayton
09-03-2011, 12:17 AM
100k to fly both families over ?

counting the dresses/tuxedoes, food, reception facility, etc, yeah.