PDA

View Full Version : Back up sump system

Prashun Patel
08-30-2011, 2:05 PM
Do any of you have a backup sump system? Battery backup? Second pit?

Looking to augment my system.

Jeff Monson
08-30-2011, 2:33 PM
Prashun, I have a Wayne battery backup on my sump pump. I use it in the same pit, just at a little higher level than the electric one. Knock on wood, its never been needed, but I do unplug my main electric pump and give it a test every spring. The battery backup has a built in charger, and it has an alarm when the main power goes out. I installed a deep cycle battery in mine as the kit does not include a battery. I think Wayne makes great pumps, my main one is a 1/3 hp Wayne pump also. I spent around $225.00 for the pump kit and another $90.00 for a battery, but that was 3 years ago. I would assume pricing is still close to that??

dennis thompson
08-30-2011, 4:30 PM
I don't have one but I'm looking at a "Basepump". It's a pump which is hooked up thru your water pipes & is powered by water . With this system you don't have to worry about a battery being charged. I imagine you would need a plumber to install it. It's at www.basepump.com (http://www.basepump.com)
Dennis

Matt Meiser
08-30-2011, 6:51 PM
We have 2 sumps right next to each other that are interconnected with a pipe. Don't know why but that's what's there. When we moved in, there was a pump in one. And it failed about 2 weeks later and flooded our basement with 3" of water. I replaced the pump that night and installed a Basement Watchdog system a week or 2 later. A few years later I got around to installing a pump in the second sump when the pump I put in after the flood quit. The Basement Watchdog prevented any flooding that time. The new pumps were identical and both of those failed within a year. My local hardware store where I bought them knew all about the problem and just refunded my purchase and recommended a different brand they were carrying.

I've had 2 problems with the Basement Watchdog. First is that the batteries only seem to last about 2-3 years then get weak. Perhaps its their charger or the limited use. The newest battery I bought a deep cycle battery from a battery shop instead of at Home Depot and it has lasted longer. They also recommended using the desulphurization setting on my regular battery charger once a year or so and then recharging with that charger instead of the Basement Watchdog. Either the new battery is better quality, or that does help as this one has lasted longer.

Second is that when I put the newest pumps in it lowered the water level of the sump due to the switch design. As a result the Basement Watchdog pump isn't in the water full time. It seems to air-lock even with the 1/8" hole they have you drill in the pipe. The water has to get quite deep before it starts pumping the first time after it hasn't run for a long period now--above the float switch that goes to our security system. Once its re-primed itself its fine. Found this out during a power failure when we weren't home this spring. On my todo list is cutting off the pipe for the regular pump in that sump and setting it on a chunk of concrete to raise it up. This has nothing to do with the switch that turns on the backup pump which is mounted to the pipe independently of the actual pump.

The water powered ones won't work for me since we are on a well--no electricity, no water pressure--so I haven't looked at them.

Harry Hagan
08-31-2011, 11:35 AM
I had serious concerns about sump pump failure until I diverted downspout rain water and sump pump discharge water to a nearby ditch. Prior to that, our sump pump had been known to run continuously for a day or more during heavy rains because rain water was making its way from the downspouts and sump pump to the basement level—sump discharge was actually being recycled again and again. A check valve on the sump pump made a difference too.

Now, after heavy rains, the sump pump might not run at all or just intermittent spurts totaling three or four minutes a day several days later. Heavy rains during a prolonged power outage will still be a problem since the water table rises as the soil becomes saturated.

I’m thinking a water-powered pump is my best solution. It will be expensive but I can install it myself and we won’t have to be concerned about a backup battery or the additional pump failing during a prolonged power outage or the expense of replacing a deep cycle battery periodically.

Prashun Patel
08-31-2011, 11:37 AM
Thanks all. Matt, thanks for sharing yr experience. I'm leery of any battery solution just because it gives me more maintenance to think about.

Harry, I'm inclined to go water-powered too. I also think downspout diversion is the best thing. I'm going to do that too.

Marty Paulus
08-31-2011, 8:02 PM
Be careful with the water powered back ups. I believe I have heard they are no longer 'code' in some areas. Battery back up may be your only option. I need to get a back up system put in soon here and I honestly don't remember seeing the water powered ones at the borgs in my area. Of course I have been accused of not being able to see past the end of my nose on a clear day when I am looking for something.