PDA

View Full Version : New Waterstone User Question

Rob Cunningham
08-30-2011, 1:13 PM
I recently bought several King water-stones and plan to keep them in water when not in use. Is it best to use a lidded container or one with an open top? Should I add anything to the water or just use straight tap water? Thanks for your help.

john brenton
08-30-2011, 1:36 PM
It all depends on how often you will use the stones, or how vigilant you are to change the water even if you aren't using the stones.

Jim Koepke
08-30-2011, 1:37 PM
Don't leave them in water that is subject to freezing.

jtk

John A. Callaway
08-30-2011, 2:10 PM
I have king stones, I usually only soak them for about a half hour before use.... and I leave the ones I am not using in the water until I am ready for it....and if it starts to dry out on the surface during sharpening I dip them in for a second or two....afterwards I pour the water out. The edges of the stones tend to crumble on you a little bit if the stay soaked constantly.

David Weaver
08-30-2011, 2:38 PM
If you find that they get slimy or mossy sitting in a tub for a long period of time, you can add a few drops of bleach to the tub. I just let mine get slimy (i have town water, so it took a while for that to happen, anyway) - if you use them often enough, you'll probably be changing the water before it gets too rank, and using the stones often enough that they don't get sloppy.

Rob Cunningham
08-31-2011, 12:47 PM
Thanks for the replies.