PDA

View Full Version : New Tool @ Lee Valley... Has anyone seen this?

bob blakeborough
08-30-2011, 9:38 AM
Ohhh great! Just what I needed... Another tool to buy! Looks like a new Smaller BU Smoother. Similar sized to a No.3.. Only seems to be on the U.S. side of the site at the moment. Weird...

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=67691&cat=51&ap=1

http://www.leevalley.com/US/images/item/Woodworking/Planes/05P3901s1.jpg

Also looks like they have started selling the new Stanley Sweetheart Chisels...

http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?p=67689&cat=51&ap=1

http://www.leevalley.com/US/images/item/Woodworking/Chisels/23k1903s1.jpg

Chris Griggs
08-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Noticed it yesterday. If I were to get a BU plane for high angle work it seems like it would be the one that I'd be interested in. Narrower blade=easier to push. Of course, there are just so many things ahead of that on my list.

BTW Bob - how goes it with the knob on the LABP.

bob blakeborough
08-30-2011, 10:12 AM
Noticed it yesterday. If I were to get a BU plane for high angle work it seems like it would be the one that I'd be interested in. Narrower blade=easier to push. Of course, there are just so many things ahead of that on my list.

BTW Bob - how goes it with the knob on the LABP.

I was already to go with it at a buddies on Sunday when I noticed a tiny chip in the blade and I left all my sharpening stuff at home so I ended up using his LN! lol! Now I am in the midst of applying finish to that project. I am going to hit the shop this week after work one evening and tune it back up and give it a go though. I will report back soon!

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
08-30-2011, 10:14 AM
Noticed a lot of stuff's been added to the "What's new" link @ LV lately.

Joel Goodman
08-30-2011, 1:07 PM
Ohhh great! Just what I needed... Another tool to buy! Looks like a new Smaller BU Smoother. Similar sized to a No.3..

I'm waiting for Derek to post a review -- come on Derek, we rely on you for the latest information. Have you tried the plane?

Griph0n Brown
08-30-2011, 1:16 PM
Are they replacing the Veritas Low Angled Smoother (LAS) ? Seems only a mite smaller.
I was given the LAS after I bought the Bevel Up Smoother. Didn't think I'd like it but I find I reach for it more ofter than the BUS. It often gets used one handed as a block plane when it's got the sharper blade or is in hand.
So much for my manly "I like big planes with a 1/2 in the number" fantasy.
Just what I need.... another guilty Lee Valley order.

Rob Lee
08-30-2011, 3:39 PM
Noticed a lot of stuff's been added to the "What's new" link @ LV lately.

That's going to continue for awhile... US catalog is in the mail - Canadian goes soon.....

Cheers -

Rob

Prashun Patel
08-30-2011, 3:57 PM
I thought I was the only one who prefers a slightly smaller smoother. I'm in the process of trying to sell my BUS for one of these #3's.

john brenton
08-30-2011, 4:00 PM
Oh man, do I love the catalog. You guys do an awesome job with them. I'm like a GI enjoying a Lucky Strike in the barrack bunks opening up the foldout...except instead of the all-american pinup girl I'm looking at Canadian tools...uhhh, that doesn't sound right.:eek:

That's going to continue for awhile... US catalog is in the mail - Canadian goes soon.....

Cheers -

Rob

Jacob Mac
08-30-2011, 4:06 PM
I am really interested in those chisels...

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
08-30-2011, 5:25 PM
I like their take on the "bench puck" concept . . .

Tom Vanzant
08-30-2011, 6:27 PM
Joshua,
At $1/puck and $2.95 for 8 discs, that's $6.95 versus $11.95 for a set of 4 of the "blue" cookies. Duh!

Rob Lee
08-30-2011, 8:01 PM
Joshua,
At $1/puck and $2.95 for 8 discs, that's $6.95 versus $11.95 for a set of 4 of the "blue" cookies. Duh!

Better yet Tom - just get the discs, and apply them to four blocks of wood, and dock the corners....now you have a $2.95 solution!

Another interesting use is to stick a bunch of dots on a surface (or sheet) to hold a panel in place while working on it (like when carving)... it holds pretty well, and is easy to reposition the work...

There are a lot of uses for this material!

Cheers -

Rob

Jeff Bartley
08-30-2011, 9:06 PM
I bet this would be a great plane! I bought a new A2 blade for my stanley #65 block, sharpened it at 40 degrees (for 52 degrees effective angle) and have been using it as a mini-smoother. This new LV plane addresses the few complaints I have with using a block as a mini-smoother.
But alas, I blew my tool budget last week by ordering a LV low-angle jack so this plane will have to wait!

Don Dorn
08-31-2011, 7:10 AM
I have the LV BUJ and the BU Jointer and they are definately premium planes. If there were not already a great #3 in my drawer, this would be a no brainer for me. It's really a boon for us that LV continues to develop and add to their stable.

Richard Verwoest
09-01-2011, 11:40 AM
Any news on your Mortise chisels Rob?

Rob Lee
09-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Any news on your Mortise chisels Rob?

Hi Richard -

Our Mortise and Butt chisels are currently sheduled for April... it's the bench chisels coming soon...!

Cheers -

Rob

Chris Griggs
09-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Rob, you guys need to schedule a show down here in Louisiana so I can try all of this new stuff that's coming out. No one ever seems to do shows down here (and by no one I mean LV and LN). Oh the injustice in it all...:D.

Of course, failing that, you could always add me to your list of tool testers ;)

BTW, I'm stilling waiting for you guys to make me a No. 8 (hopefully for less then the LN, but not too much less). - I know, I'll probably be waiting a long, long time.

Rob Lee
09-01-2011, 12:46 PM
Rob, you guys need to schedule a show down here in Louisiana so I can try all of this new stuff that's coming out. No one ever seems to do shows down here (and by no one I mean LV and LN). Oh the injustice in it all...:D.

Of course, failing that, you could always add me to your list of tool testers ;)

BTW, I'm stilling waiting for you guys to make me a No. 8 (hopefully for less then the LN, but not too much less). - I know, I'll probably be waiting a long, long time.

Ok Chris -

You're a tester.... shoot me your address at (rlee@leevalley.com)

Just Chris pls.....! :)

Cheers -

Rob

Chris Griggs
09-01-2011, 1:00 PM
Ok Chris -

You're a tester.... shoot me your address at (rlee@leevalley.com)

Just Chris pls.....! :)

Cheers -

Rob

Sweet! Email address has been sent!

David Weaver
09-01-2011, 1:48 PM
Get him all excited and then make him test plastic-handled kitchen and garden tools, Rob!

Mac Houtz
09-01-2011, 1:56 PM
Does it strike anyone else as strange that Lee Valley would begin retailing the new Stanley chisels, when all the rumors I have heard over the last year here and elsewhere have pointed to an impending debut of some new Lee Valley chisels? I am an arm chair retailer at best, but it seems like an odd choice to add a competing line to the shelf just prior to unveiling your own. After all, the rumors from Lee Valley were a big part of my decision not to purchase a full set of the new stanleys.

Sam Takeuchi
09-01-2011, 1:58 PM
Or worse: Veritas Paperweight

Chris Griggs
09-01-2011, 2:14 PM
I'd be happy to try kitchen tools as well. I love kitchen stuff (but I love woodworking stuff more.... much, much more).

Sam Takeuchi
09-01-2011, 2:14 PM
Does it strike anyone else as strange that Lee Valley would begin retailing the new Stanley chisels, when all the rumors I have heard over the last year here and elsewhere have pointed to an impending debut of some new Lee Valley chisels? I am an arm chair retailer at best, but it seems like an odd choice to add a competing line to the shelf just prior to unveiling your own. After all, the rumors from Lee Valley were a big part of my decision not to purchase a full set of the new stanleys.

I guess because they are retailer first? They have a lot of non-Veritas items sold along with Veritas items in the same category. If they only wanted to carry only Veritas items in order to push their house brand, they would be turning a lot of their customers away and their selection would be seriously lacking. Should they stop selling Narex chisels, too? What about Wenzloff saws? A lot of cheaper bench vises? It doesn't make a lot of sense if they stopped selling those, does it?

Brian Yates
09-01-2011, 2:18 PM
I don't think it's strange, for Lee Valley to carry the Stanley chisels, if there's a market and demand I'm sure it makes fiscal sense to offer them. There are also people who are interested in these chisels, who may want them for the Stanley name and history of quality. Of course once they try the Veritas brand that may change... Personally I've been salivating over the new Veritas chisels we keep hearing about, and am with you on holding off on a chisel set until I get a gander of the new ones from Lee Valley. I'm sure they'll be great, I haven't bought anything from them yet that wasn't.

Steve Friedman
09-01-2011, 2:36 PM
I was also surprised to see the chisels as I was waiting for the new Veritas chisels to be unveiled, but give Lee Valley lots of credit - not just for being willing to offer competing brands, but more significantly for standing behind those other brands with the same level of service and responsiveness as they do with the Veritas stuff. Imagine committing to pay for the return shipping on a 50-lb bench vise made in the Czech Republic! I assume the only way they can afford to do that is by doing some serious quality testing before being willing to add a non-Veritas product to the lineup. I'm sure they also rely on the integrity of their customers not to abuse their generous policies. Let's just all hope that can afford to keep it going.

Steve

Mac Houtz
09-01-2011, 2:37 PM
No, I agree with you on that part, and have purchased a number of tools from them over the years that were not Lee Valley/Veritas house brands. But with something as specific as chisels, where you really are head to head with another fairly recent addition to the marketplace (the new stanleys) that are very competitively priced, it seems like it would be a good thing for your new house product to not have to share the spotlight in that fashion. In putting something like that on your shelves or in your catalogue, you are promoting it, (especially in the case of Lee Valley where they have a known track record that we all respect for selling high quality tools), and if I were getting ready to bring out a new (or multiple new) line of chisels I think I would want to focus my promotion efforts on new products that were my own.

If Rob is doing it, I am sure it makes good sense, it just seems a little strange from a marketing standpoint. Oh well, on to more important topics, like when are the new Lee Valley/Veritas bench chisels coming out?

Chris Griggs
09-01-2011, 2:45 PM
Aren't their new chisels supposedly going to be powdered metal or some other kind of super tough steal? If so, perhaps they wanted to give people a good option of a more tame steel.

bob blakeborough
09-01-2011, 5:26 PM
Just came back from Lee Valley and got to play with the new smoother plane! They let me take it to the back and work on a nice piece of cherry with it for a while. I have to say it performs very well (as was expected). The tote was comfortable and adjustments were simple and easy. One aspect I hadn't seen before was the adjustable mouth style. Normally the entire toe of the plane would slide forward and back, but on this plane the front and side edge of the toe is solid to the rest of the body , and it is sort of an insert that moves. Kinda hard to explain. Seemed to work well though... Overall, I liked it!

http://www.leevalley.com/en/images/item/Woodworking/Planes/05P3901d2.gif

Chris Friesen
09-02-2011, 10:31 AM
One aspect I hadn't seen before was the adjustable mouth style. Normally the entire toe of the plane would slide forward and back, but on this plane the front and side edge of the toe is solid to the rest of the body , and it is sort of an insert that moves. Kinda hard to explain.

It's basically the same mechanism as their newest premium block planes.

Steve Friedman
09-02-2011, 12:52 PM
But with something as specific as chisels, where you really are head to head with another fairly recent addition to the marketplace (the new stanleys) that are very competitively priced, it seems like it would be a good thing for your new house product to not have to share the spotlight in that fashion. In putting something like that on your shelves or in your catalogue, you are promoting it, (especially in the case of Lee Valley where they have a known track record that we all respect for selling high quality tools), and if I were getting ready to bring out a new (or multiple new) line of chisels I think I would want to focus my promotion efforts on new products that were my own.
If Rob is doing it, I am sure it makes good sense, it just seems a little strange from a marketing standpoint. Oh well, on to more important topics, like when are the new Lee Valley/Veritas bench chisels coming out?

Mac, I never thought of it that way and see your point. I'm also sure there was some brilliant thought behind it, but I wonder how many of the Stanley chisel sets will get returned to them as soon as the new Veritas chisels get announced. On the other hand, it has certainly made me even more anxious than before to see the new Veritas set.

Steve