PDA

View Full Version : Bedrock 608

Ed Breen
02-22-2005, 6:42 PM
Good Afternoon,

I need some help with my bedrock #608. It is pre 1930, and in a truly stupid move I broke the lever cap . I am going to take it to a blacksmith for welding. Is there anything special I should say to him about the repair. I am not a collector, I'm a user.
Thanx all
Ed :(

Jim Dunn
02-22-2005, 7:24 PM
Ed, I'm not sure if they carry the particular item you need. But you might try Woodcraft as they carry some parts for planes.

Corvin Alstot
02-22-2005, 11:44 PM
I need some help with my bedrock #608.I am going to take it to a blacksmith for welding. Is there anything special I should say to him about the repair.
I believe the cap is cast metal. You also might check on some of the auction sites for a used replacement cap, they are occasionally available. Good luck.

Alan Turner
02-23-2005, 4:33 AM
Ed,
I think there is a fellow at the PATINA show that carries parts for Stanley planes. Whether he has this part I don't know. If you fail in your brazing/welding efforts, let me know and I will take a look there for you.
Alan

Ed Breen
02-23-2005, 6:34 PM
Thanx all. I found a retired gentleman who has been a welder for many years. He still goes over to his old employer and uses the equipment. He says that if he can repair old spiders he can fix anything.

I Hope.
Ed:)

Denny Lawson
03-04-2005, 12:10 PM
Ed,

sorry about your mishap.
fwiw, for a user you can use any cap that fits a #8, they are readily available. heck for that matter in apinch you could grab the cap off your #7 (assuming you have one), its a bit narrower but will still hold the iron down on the frog.

then maybe just keep an eye out for a Bedrock cap of your liking.

Denny