PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on the GAGE'T?

Joe Vincent 63
08-29-2011, 9:59 PM
Anyone have any experience with the GAGE'T by Keith Tompkins (good or bad)? I am looking for a wall thickness caliper for big bowls, and this seems like a pretty good one, but wanted to make sure before I pull the plug. Looks like it gives a continuous read so as you move it along, it provides depth measurements.

Joe

Bill Neddow
08-29-2011, 10:04 PM
That device has saved me more money than any other thing I have ever bought. I use it religiously for six months or so, then start getting lazy After half a dozen bowls without it, I go through the bottom of one -- which is worth far more than the Gage't. I eat my humble pie, learn my lesson and take out the gage't and use it for another six months before having another lapse. If I could train myself to use it regularly, I would have paid for it five or six times just from my lapses. Heaven only knows how much more money it has saved me by using it regularly during my six-month sessions -- but it is a lot!

Jon Lanier
08-29-2011, 10:39 PM
I am such a 'feel' guy, when it comes to bowls, I use my fingers... bigger diameter I use both hands.... I can tell so much better this way than by sight of a caliper.

Dennis Ford
08-30-2011, 8:15 AM
I have the "gage-t" and it works great, it is the best of the calipers that I have. I felt like I had splurged on the expense (it is not cheap) but it has been a good investment.

Bob Bergstrom
08-30-2011, 9:27 AM
Great tool. I turn a lot of thin bowls and it is super accurate. The brass ball allows sliding the gauge from the rim to the base. Buy it and you will save a lot of bowls. It call be made if money is an issue.

Doug W Swanson
08-30-2011, 10:18 AM
I have it and I really like it. I won it at a raffle so I can't really say if it's worth the money but it does work great!

Reed Gray
08-30-2011, 12:11 PM
I have been using the bent 'D' wire that I saw on an old Dave Ellsworth video for years. Works great, and is cheap. I looked at the Gage T when it first came out, and though it is a nice tool, I can do more with a simple piece of wire, and the accuracy is just as good if you know how to use it and use your hands for feel as well.

robo hippy

Harry Robinette
08-30-2011, 8:21 PM
I use the Veritas under spring the ones that work sorta backwards.The thumb screw works to OPEN them and Their spring loaded to the CLOSE position.I really like them.

Bernie Weishapl
08-31-2011, 10:31 AM
I love mine. Works extemely well and is very accurate on thin bowls or vases.

Joe Vincent 63
08-31-2011, 9:51 PM
Thanks for all of the advice. I'm goin with the GAGE'T!

Joe Vincent 63
10-17-2011, 8:26 PM
I finally purchased the Gage'T. This past weekend, I cored out a nice black walnut piece of wood. When I went to measure the thickness of the bowl sides, the Gage'T would only go to 1 1/4" thick. It is advertised as being able to measure a max of 2" in thickness. Has anyone found a different way to use it with thicker walls? I called the vendor and am preparing to send it back. It must be able to be used for 2" thick walls to be of value to me with some of the big (15-20") bowls I am hollowing out for drying.

Joe