PDA

View Full Version : Tall Box Elder burl HF

Curt Fuller
08-29-2011, 9:38 PM
This one is definitely a shape that most won't like much. As I was buffing it I realized that it is about the same shape as a zucchini squash. I had a weird shaped piece of burl so I decided to turn this from it. Burl doesn't really have a grain direction, but usually the eyes grow towards the outside edge of the burl. In this one, the wood is turned so the grain is more horizontal with the eyes on opposite sides and some other burl looking flame stuff on the other two sides. It's hollowed to the bottom using my amazing Ernie Nyvall super hollower and has a few small voids in the natural edge of the burl. The spout is cocobolo. Finished with AO and Beall buffed. 10" tall, 3 1/3" wide, exactly 1/3 as wide as it is tall.

John Keeton
08-29-2011, 9:49 PM
Curt, as you know, I have wandered off the beaten path lately and the enjoyment factor has increased exponentially. In my short stint as a woodturner, you are one of the ones I have admired for doing some really neat and amazingly unique pieces - this one is no different in that regard. I agree it isn't a common form, but that is the best part! It seems to be a very pleasing form and the wood is outstanding. Very nice compliment with the cocobolo, and the side of the form with the void really brings in the darker color of the spout.

I would say well done!

Roger Chandler
08-29-2011, 9:53 PM
Beautiful wood..........unique form.........nicely done! I think had that piece been in my wood pile, I would have made a pedestal foot on it, and had an open top...........a tall vase form, but that is just my tastes............you do nice work, Curt. :)

David E Keller
08-29-2011, 11:15 PM
That's gorgeous, Curt! I think the cocobolo looks great with the piece, and there are few things prettier than a nice chunk of box elder burl! Fantastic!

David DeCristoforo
08-29-2011, 11:36 PM
What John said... and what Roger said. Oh... and what Doc Keller said too. It's too late in the evening for me to think of any thing to add to that except "outstanding".

Marc Himes
08-29-2011, 11:40 PM
I agree with the previous comments. I find the form very pleasing and the dark top really sets it off. The burl figure is great. I like it a lot.

Scott Hackler
08-29-2011, 11:55 PM
Nice indeed! It almost reminds me of an old world artifact.

Kathy Marshall
08-30-2011, 2:29 AM
Yeah, what everyone else said! I've turned a few uncommon shapes, but none have been as pleasing as this one! The wood looks great! (I like the view in pic 1), but even with an ordinary wood I think the form would look cool.

neil mackay
08-30-2011, 3:54 AM
Shapes fine, especially with the spout/collar. Nyvall Hollower could you post a pic of the hollower, you've got me curious.

Norm Zax
08-30-2011, 5:20 AM
Looks like an old scroll compartment. Very stylish. Love the shape. At first I throught you could have taken the squash idea further dyed light green but yours is classier.

Steve bellinger
08-30-2011, 5:44 AM
Yep when i see your name on a piece i just have to look. can't remember a time when i was disapointed with what i saw.This is no different, as i think it's a great looking job on a great looking piece of wood.

Michelle Rich
08-30-2011, 7:20 AM
I like it bunches!

charlie knighton
08-30-2011, 7:22 AM
very nice Curt, do not know much about burl, but what i do see that is unusual having flame and eyes

Bernie Weishapl
08-30-2011, 10:45 AM
Really a great piece Curt. Interesting form and really nice wood. Very pleasing piece.

bob svoboda
08-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Very nicely done, Curt. I find the shape to be different, but attractive. Love the wood combo.

Bill Bolen
08-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Heck, I love zucchini! I'm drawn to this piece Curt. Has a modern feel to it and the dark top piece brings the feel all together. Great piece of wood that you treated well.

Curt Fuller
08-30-2011, 7:53 PM
Thanks everyone. You folks always make a guy feel good!

Shapes fine, especially with the spout/collar. Nyvall Hollower could you post a pic of the hollower, you've got me curious.

Neil, my Nyvall hollower is essentially a Jamieson type hollowing system that uses the secondary, captured rest and a D-handle with several different hollowing bars, built very stout, by Ernie Nyvall, a creeker that doesn't post much anymore. What makes is 'super' is that Ernie made it for me, just out of the clear blue sky and shipped it to me as a surprise. He's quite a guy in my book, for sure, kind of like superman!

Baxter Smith
08-31-2011, 9:37 PM
Great job Curt! Looks to be more of a cross between a zuchini and a summer squash.:)

Jim Burr
08-31-2011, 9:54 PM
Opps...missed this one Curt. This is a keeper! Great job of keeping the grain the main point...collar is so cool cuz ya don't even see it till it's over...and a nice over it is!! Not a napkin holder...it's a seat at dinner!