PDA

View Full Version : My Casting Setup

James Combs
08-29-2011, 8:40 PM
In answer to Keith Westfall's request in my "A Couple First's.." thread, here are photos of my setup with some commentary. Currently my setup is only for the single barrel style pens such as Sierras and Wallstreets. Keep in mind also that this setup has produced only "one" pen so far.:D

This is my setup for applying items such as feathers to the tube. The clamp has been modified with pins that hold the UHMW tubing plugs in place while I work on the tube. I noted this earlier in another post but again I used water borne poly to wet down and glue on the feathers in the pen in the previous post. I read somewhere that WB-poly is becoming very popular with the more experienced "feather-ers"

After the tube is doctored up (I am just showing a blank tube for demo purposes) I transfer it to the mold. At this point it would be ready for casting and setting into a vacuum or pressure chamber. I am considering standardizing on using both vacuum and then pressure.

Here are some details on how the mold goes together and is set up.
It looks like this when taken apart. A necessity when removing the casting.

I had some leakage problems gumming up my through bolts so I have added an o-ring seal where I "think" the trouble is.

If you note on the left end there is a large bolt. The bolt is use to push on the tall follower (behind the washer - right pic) which pushes on one of the tubing plugs to make sure it is sealed. I don't want to get resin inside the tube. The end cap with the bolt is held on with wing nuts. The extra clamp is to insure there is no leakage past the follower.

For the one pen blank I cast with it, it did a pretty good job other then leaking a little. In the left pic the tube plug has a through hole (red arrow) that lines up with the hole in the mold side (when it is inside the mold) and it also has a "tee-ing" hole that is use at the bench clamp (first pics). Resin came through that hole and enveloped my through bolt making it very hard to remove at dis-assembly.

This is my pressure pot with the regulator locked at 40psi. I converted it from an old painting rig I had but never really used. I loaned it out a few times but never used it myself.

Edit: I have mold release for use when I am casting but wouldn't you know I would forget to use it. However, to my surprise the resin did not want to stick to the UHMW that the mold is made from. I think I dodged a bullet on that casting. Still had to do a little scraping but nothing major. Both of the tube plugs came out quite easily with just a twist. I sawed off the two funnel ends created by the plugs and the blank was ready to trim and turn.

James Combs
08-29-2011, 8:51 PM
Here are some pics of a mold I made for more traditional square castings without the tube. It is the one I used to cast some "worthless" wood. Yeah, I know I should have used an opaque colorant but it was only a test.:o

The pics are in the sequence of use. A few leaks with this one also. The last pic is the resulting barrel turned from the missing blank.

Bernie Weishapl
08-29-2011, 9:38 PM
That is one slick looking setup James. Looks like it works well.

Keith Westfall
08-29-2011, 9:51 PM
Thanks James! Now I really want to try it...:D

Peter Fabricius
08-29-2011, 9:53 PM
Great looking set up James;
I was wondering what type of casting you are doing, Polyester Resin or the other one??? I have heard that PR does not adhere to wood very well? What is your experience with the wood and resin?
Did you use pressure or vacuum on this one?
thanks
Peter F.

James Combs
08-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Great looking set up James;
I was wondering what type of casting you are doing, Polyester Resin or the other one??? I have heard that PR does not adhere to wood very well? What is your experience with the wood and resin?
Did you use pressure or vacuum on this one?
thanks
Peter F.

Thanks for the positive comment Peter. The resin is PR. I really don't have enough experience or knowledge of casting to advise on the characteristics of PR. It is the only one I have use and I have made one batch of castings with it. I am not even sure what other resins there might be. I have heard(read) about Alumalite but as far as I know it could also be a polyester resin, I wouldn't know the difference. As to my experience... well so far the one piece of wood I have cast with PR is still together and still shinny but it is getting some age on it now... about 48 hours. lol. Who knows what it will look like at twice that age. I have not run across any discussion concerning it's adherence to wood but now that you have brought it to my attention I will be doing some research.

Pressure versus vacuum:
For the feather pen blank I only used my pressure pot. For the worthless wood blanks I vacuumed for about 5 minutes and then put it into the pressure pot with the feather blank. Hope my answers help.

Donny Lawson
08-30-2011, 6:39 AM
Looks good to me. I would like to see some pics after you get the pen together.

James Combs
08-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Looks good to me. I would like to see some pics after you get the pen together.

I won't be making a pen from the worthless wood blank above because I don't like seeing the brass tube. I am planning on turning the other half of that blank and using a black tube. If it looks better I will post it. Mean while if you haven't seen the feather pen from the first mold go here (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?171751-A-Couple-of-Firsts-For-Me&highlight=).