PDA

View Full Version : I am officially a new member to the Mustard Monster Club..............

Jack Gaskins
08-29-2011, 7:49 PM
2006 3520B with all the trimmings. Came from a fellow turner that has been battling cancer. I almost ordered a new PM but thought I could save a few bucks plus help this poor guys out at the same time. Dont know that I will ever use the extra bed and outrigger? The lathe was only used a few times. All I had to do was blow off some dust. He did use the face plate and forgot to tighten down the set screw for reverse and buggered up the last thread. Need to figure out how to smooth that down. Im 6-2 so need some help with how to raise the lathe about 3-4 inches if you have any suggestions. Now I can order that freakin steady rest from Jeff! And a bowl saver, and a hollow rig and and and.........:D.

James Combs
08-29-2011, 7:52 PM
Hey guys, the vortex hook another one.

Nice start up Jack.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-29-2011, 7:54 PM
Welcome to the club Jack! Congrats!

John Keeton
08-29-2011, 7:56 PM
Wow, what a setup!!! That is one sweet looking lathe, Jack! Congrats!

Toney Robertson
08-29-2011, 8:00 PM
I am yellow with envy. Of course that would be mustard yellow!!!

Marty Eargle
08-29-2011, 8:17 PM
Now that's a gloat and a half. Shame about the circumstances of how you came about it but c'est la vie.

Maybe slap some industrial quality casters on it for a couple of inches of height...though a fixed platform might be a better option.

Gary Max
08-29-2011, 8:31 PM
Looks right at home---enjoy and be safe.

Bob Bergstrom
08-29-2011, 8:40 PM
Looks like it just came out of the box. Sorry about your friends misfortune. Maybe on a good day he could come over and play. Enjoy, it is a great setup.

Bernie Weishapl
08-29-2011, 9:25 PM
Congrats Jack. Nice looking setup.

Roger Chandler
08-29-2011, 9:33 PM
Wow, what a setup! the outrigger and the stand alone rest..........you can do most anything with that setup.........you can tell by looking that machine has hardly been touched! Good deal Jack.........congratulations!

Paul Heely
08-29-2011, 9:34 PM
Congratulations. I have my 3520 up on blocks, one under each foot. Each block is about 2" thick. So far no issues with using individual blocks. I'll try and take some pictures tomorrow and post them.

Paul

Thomas Canfield
08-29-2011, 9:58 PM
You really got the big hook in deep. I have my 3520 sitting on some individual oak blocks that have a recess for the leveling screws. I wanted to keep the length of exposed threads short, and have a fairly large area on the floor, but still allow for sweeping/cleaning (sometimes).

Jon Nuckles
08-29-2011, 10:16 PM
Congratulations! That is immaculate, and the bed extension is immense. You could turn some serious columns on that setup. Welcome to the Club! I am sure you know what the right height is for you, but I am 6'3" and have found it very comfortable to turn on my 3520 without any height adjustment.

gary Zimmel
08-29-2011, 10:53 PM
Congrats on the new lathe Jack. Looks like one sweet setup...

David E Keller
08-29-2011, 11:09 PM
Welcome to the club! The extra bed will allow you to slide the tailstock well out of the way which is a nice perk. Congrats!

Jeff Fagen
08-29-2011, 11:22 PM
Don't get rid of the Delta,you will use it.

Steve Schlumpf
08-29-2011, 11:40 PM
Jack - congrats on your new lathe! Looks like it should handle just about anything you want to turn!! Have fun with it!

Scott Hackler
08-29-2011, 11:57 PM
That's a whopper of a bed length! Congrats on the new toy!

Billy Tallant
08-30-2011, 12:12 AM
Congratulations on the new lathe. That extension is really something else...

Rick Markham
08-30-2011, 2:20 AM
Congratulations on you new Monster, your going to love it. I think you definitely made the right decision! Terribly sorry to hear about the fellow turner battling cancer.

I am jealous of the extension, I think you will find it far more useful than you had orginally thought. The Outrigger stand is super nice too! Now it's time to make some curlies... that thing should be dirty by now.

Don't ask me how I know this, but if the last thread is buggered up, if you clean the wayward metal pieces off with a file. Then it should work just like it is supposed to ;)

Jack Gaskins
08-30-2011, 5:20 AM
Thanks guys. Looks like I have to go get bigger logs. Yeah, that will make the wife happy!

Jack Gaskins
08-30-2011, 5:23 AM
Congratulations! That is immaculate, and the bed extension is immense. You could turn some serious columns on that setup. Welcome to the Club! I am sure you know what the right height is for you, but I am 6'3" and have found it very comfortable to turn on my 3520 without any height adjustment.

Hi Jon, My Delta 460 is on the bench and at elbow hieght and everytime I turn on it my neck hurts the following morning. Guess thats not really anything to do with hieght just always staring downwards.

Gary Kman
08-30-2011, 7:21 AM
. Im 6-2 so need some help with how to raise the lathe about 3-4 inches if you have any suggestions. :D.

If you learned anything in your Air Force career, you'd know that the floor in front of the lathe needs to be lowered.:D

bob svoboda
08-30-2011, 9:37 AM
Looks great. Welcome to Club Mustard!

Paul Heely
08-30-2011, 6:03 PM
Here are the pictures of my 3520 on blocks, as promised. The blocks are 2" thick with a piece of 3/4" ply glued on top. the plywood has a hold drilled through it a little larger than the diameter of the leveling feet.

Paul

Bob Wolfe
08-30-2011, 7:05 PM
Changed your mind again eh? That thing is just too bright and shiney. It is hurting my eyes. You need to get a 240 line run to that beast ASAP so you can get it good and dirty. CONGRATS !! I'm sure you'll love it. Now you can start collecting wood again...THE BIG STUFF.

Jack Gaskins
08-30-2011, 8:31 PM
Here are the pictures of my 3520 on blocks, as promised. The blocks are 2" thick with a piece of 3/4" ply glued on top. the plywood has a hold drilled through it a little larger than the diameter of the leveling feet.

Paul

Thanks Paul, may give that a try.

Craig Matheny
08-31-2011, 2:44 PM
Jack being I am new to this and starting with pens the first thought I had was how funny it would be to cut a pen on that monster. Looks great enjoy and sorry about your friend.

Chris Burgess
08-31-2011, 2:48 PM
Hmmmm, I dont see the big deal. Its just a big mustard monster..........a big beautiful mustard monster.......a big beautiful powerful mustard monster..........(insert drooling sound of choice here)

Bob Bergstrom
08-31-2011, 3:22 PM
I saw on another forum that a guy won both a Powermatic 3520 and a Stuby at the Swat Symposium. He just bought one two years ago. He is selling the Powermatics and keeping the Stuby. He bought $180 dollars worth of raffle tickets. I wonder what would have happen if he spent a even $200.

Paul Heely
08-31-2011, 4:51 PM
Jack being I am new to this and starting with pens the first thought I had was how funny it would be to cut a pen on that monster. Looks great enjoy and sorry about your friend.

I have turned pens on my PM, but prefer to do those on the Jet mini. Waiting for the blanks to spin up to speed and then back down seems to take forever. Either that or I am just impatient :D.

Paul

Jeff Nicol
08-31-2011, 6:00 PM
Jack, When you go mustard you really go all the way!! I would not even have the room for all the stuff you got with it, it is a very nice looking set up. It is sad that the fellow you got it from is going through cancer, I know we all wish him a speedy recovery.

I raised mine up by making a set of spanners that went from front to back on the ends and used lag bolts to bolt the lathe to them. It gives that lathe a wider stance and spreads the weight and helps with vibration and the rocking if you have an unbalanced blank on the lathe. I have a picture in my albums here is the link: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=122&attachmentid=192750

In the picture you can see the spanner and how it is wider than the base of the legs. I used White Oak for mine but most any wood should work.

Great lathe and you will have great fun with all the extras,

Jeff

Faust M. Ruggiero
08-31-2011, 7:08 PM
Jack and Jeff,
I am green with envy of both of you. Oh not because you have PW yellow because I do too. You are discussing ways to make yours higher because you are so tall. I'm considering drilling holes in the floor to lower mine because it is too tall for my 5'8". I could always stand on a box but then I would get to know the rarefied air you tall guys breathe. Enjoy your new lathe Jack. I love the time I get with mine.
faust

Jack Gaskins
08-31-2011, 7:29 PM
Guess I could try putting some stringers under the legs. Thanks Jeff.

James Combs
08-31-2011, 8:22 PM
...I raised mine up by making a set of spanners that went from front to back on the ends and used lag bolts to bolt the lathe to them. It gives that lathe a wider stance and spreads the weight and helps with vibration and the rocking if you have an unbalanced blank on the lathe. I have a picture in my albums here is the link: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=122&attachmentid=192750...
Jeff

Jack, I have a Jet 1642 on a wood joist floor. I did almost identically what Jeff has done to spread the weight over 3 joists. It works great and raised it to boot.

Baxter Smith
08-31-2011, 9:27 PM
Congrats on a nice lathe! Looks like a real MONSTER!