PDA

View Full Version : Which Dado Blade/Stack

Bob Johnson2
02-22-2005, 5:54 PM
Looking to pick up a good dado set for a 10" 3hp CS and am fishing for suggestions. I currently have an old Craftsman adjustable wobble blade thing that works okay on a RAS and a very old 6" non carbide stack, niether of which I've attempted on the CS as I want something with minimul tearout. While looking through a couple catalogs I found 6, 8, and 10" stacks and a couple different tooth counts, roughly 24 and 40T.

Thanks

Tom Peterson
02-22-2005, 6:04 PM
I have the 8" with the four wing chippers. Sorry I can not remember the model number. works very well, consistent flat bottom cuts and no chips when cutting through plywood. Comes with shims for fine tuning the width. Upper middle of the cost range, but does a great job.

John Hemenway
02-22-2005, 6:15 PM
The current issue of FWW likes the Freud stacked set (I forgot number). So happens I have the same set. Minimal tearout and nice flat dado bottoms. :)

joseph j shields
02-22-2005, 6:16 PM
I have the new Freud stack dado set with the dial (no shims)
I hate putzing with shims.... the dial works great!

I like the blade alot... no tear out.... flat bottom.... square corners

Got it at Rockler on sale for $200

-jj

Byron Trantham
02-22-2005, 6:17 PM
According to Fine Woodworking this month, I probably should toss it! :cool: My clients won't like the scoring marks the set makes. Of course to see them, I have to take their project apart! Ok, enough SA remarks. I love mine but then again what should I say since I paid a bunch for it. :D If I have to buy another set I would seriously consider alternatives. If you can, read the review this month in Fine Woodworking.

Fred Voorhees
02-22-2005, 7:04 PM
I've had the Freud stacked dado set for a number of years now and have never been dissapointed with it. In fact, I had it out just tonight about two or three hours ago plowing some dado's for a quick little bench project for the LMOL's momma.

John Hemenway
02-22-2005, 7:08 PM
My 'mess w/ shims - less method':
Measure thickness of whatever is going into dado w/ dial calipers.
Compute nearest smaller combination of blades and chippers.
Make up difference w/ shims + 0.002 (for glue!) - measured w/ dial calipers.
Crank it all on arbor and make lots of sawdust! :)

Frank Pellow
02-22-2005, 7:21 PM
I have the new Freud stack dado set with the dial (no shims)
I hate putzing with shims.... the dial works great!

I like the blade alot... no tear out.... flat bottom.... square corners

Got it at Rockler on sale for $200

-jj
I also hate dealing with shims so am considering the Freud stack dado set with the dial . Do you really think that it is worth the $200? That sure doesn't sound like a sale price to me.

Bob Flemming
02-22-2005, 7:32 PM
I have the Freud 8 inch I bought before the shimless design entered the market. It is serving me well. I can't afford to buy every new thing that comes out. My Dad used a single blade and a chisel, it got the job done.:o

Bob Johnson2
02-22-2005, 7:35 PM
I also hate dealing with shims so am considering the Freud stack dado set with the dial . Do you really think that it is worth the $200? That sure doesn't sound like a sale price to me.
From what I've been they're all roughly $200.

Thanks All for the input, I'll pick up FWW and check out the article. I take it everyone goes for the 8"?

brent lenthall
02-22-2005, 9:03 PM
I recently picked up the Dewalt Dado set at Woodcraft http://woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5186after looking at the the Frued Super Dado stack. The lit. in the store showed comparative tests between the Dewalt, Freud, Forrest Dado king, and a couple of others. As I remember, the Dewalt scored better than than the Freud and close the the Dado King in test for tearout, flat bottom, etc. I don't think the tests were independent, but I've been extemely happy with the cuts I've made.

One note: on my Jet Cabinet Saw, the blades are very snug on the spindle and take some extra time getting them on and off. However, I'll take this over a loose fit the could leave ridges.

brent

joseph j shields
02-22-2005, 11:33 PM
Bob,

Amazon has it for $229 here (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000223OA/qid=1109132409/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3_etk-tools/104-5373404-3921530?v=glance&s=hi&n=228013).

Maybe you can the $25 back amazon deal.... but I think it only applies to power tools... not sure if it is still on?? :confused:

I enjoy mine and the shim-less design is great!

Good luck!

-jj