PDA

View Full Version : Pens #3 & 4

Keith E Byrd
08-29-2011, 2:49 PM
I'm having fun!http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon10.png
Both pens are Cigar - Pen right is #3 Cocobolo with WOP, Pen on left is #4 Leopard wood with WOP!
C&C welcome.

Jim Burr
08-29-2011, 3:07 PM
Nice work Keith!! Cigars are a cool pen to practice that gentle curve between bushings instead of a stick figure! How did you like the WoP on the Cocobolo?

Roger Chandler
08-29-2011, 3:21 PM
I was looking at cigar pen kits last evening.......might have to try that style.........am I correct in that the bit size and tube size is 10mm?

Keith E Byrd
08-30-2011, 6:30 AM
Yes - they are 10MM

Donny Lawson
08-30-2011, 6:42 AM
I do like the looks of the cigar pens,and they do look nice when they are finished. You did a great job on these.

Peter Hay in Aus
08-30-2011, 7:01 PM
Keith,

Leopard Wood shows those medullary rays so neatly, the pen is well seen and assembled. The Cocobolo deep and mysterious, the features distinct.

The two pens display turning care and good finish character. To display for viewing rather than convenience separate pens with plain backgrounds enable uninterupted viewing to appreciate them on their own.
Thankyou for showing pens receive less than they deserve on this site I for one would like to see separation from the many finials.
Pens give such an insight into timbers not possible using larger forms, are relatively inexpensive instruments used by everyone providing so much pleasure as gifts you actually use every day.
The recent pen swap was greeted by so many yawns though it demonstrated to me they were hard to access cleanly afterwards without efficient continuity perhaps Sawmill Creek regards them as children to be heard and not seen.

I complement you on your two pens for two reasons, courage and conviction, both display well.

Kind regards Peter.

David E Keller
08-30-2011, 8:46 PM
Nicely done on both counts, but I'm leaning toward that cocobolo as my favorite! I love the cigar kit... In fact, many of my daily writers are cigars.

Bernie Weishapl
08-30-2011, 9:28 PM
Those are nicely done pens. Finish looks good.

ray hampton
08-30-2011, 10:30 PM
the drill size that I use 25/64, is this the same as 10 m&m ?

Keith E Byrd
08-31-2011, 6:36 AM
Ray according to a drill conversion chart I googled 25/64 is 0.3906 decimal, 10 mm is 0.3937 decimal. Is that "close enough?" I don't have enough experience to answer but my guess is that the tube would be too sloppy unless you could fill it in with a heavier glue like 5 min epoxy - I have only used medium CA so far.

Keith E Byrd
08-31-2011, 6:41 AM
The two pens display turning care and good finish character. To display for viewing rather than convenience separate pens with plain backgrounds enable uninterupted viewing to appreciate them on their own.

I complement you on your two pens for two reasons, courage and conviction, both display well.

Kind regards Peter.
Thank you Peter - I appreciate the comments - am learning the turning as well as the photography! I am really enjoying seeing how each pen blank "pops" when finished and the transformation from assembly is amazing!

James Combs
08-31-2011, 9:52 AM
Ray according to a drill conversion chart I googled 25/64 is 0.3906 decimal, 10 mm is 0.3937 decimal. Is that "close enough?" I don't have enough experience to answer but my guess is that the tube would be too sloppy unless you could fill it in with a heavier glue like 5 min epoxy - I have only used medium CA so far.

I have several cigar kits to complete but have not made one yet. I am interested in the fit of the tube using the 25/64 bit. How was it? I would think that if the kit calls for a 10mm that using a 25/64 would make the tube tighter in the blank by .003". If I don't have the correct size drill I usually step up to the next size that I do have instead of going down. Yes stepping up does sometimes require changing from CA to 5 minute epoxy.

BTW my vote is for the Cocobolo pen, it is awesome.

Keith E Byrd
08-31-2011, 10:26 AM
Jim - My bad - I went the wrong way - yes it would be a little tighter. . I don't know if that is enough to keep if from being inserted or not. If it does fit - thin CA might work or maybe a little extra sanding on the tube! I used the 10mm bit as the kit called for
I have made three different kits, slimline & Sierra from Rockler and cigar from WoodCraft. I really like the cigar. I have a cigar pencil kit that I am going to make so I can have a matched set.

ray hampton
08-31-2011, 1:18 PM
I have several cigar kits to complete but have not made one yet. I am interested in the fit of the tube using the 25/64 bit. How was it? I would think that if the kit calls for a 10mm that using a 25/64 would make the tube tighter in the blank by .003". If I don't have the correct size drill I usually step up to the next size that I do have instead of going down. Yes stepping up does sometimes require changing from CA to 5 minute epoxy.

BTW my vote is for the Cocobolo pen, it is awesome.

how is the fit, well the fit will give you a fit[ pun intend] I drill 4 blanks for 4 pens but the glue stop the tube at the half-way mark and trying to fix the blank did not work, CA sets too quick for my taste

Chris Burgess
08-31-2011, 2:46 PM
Great looking pens. I just got a 6 pack of Cigars in the other day and glued a few up this morning. Hope to turn one soon. Thanks for sharing. I agree w/ Peter that pens dont get a lot of love around here but I also feel they are like the Moped of turning, Fun to ride but you dont want your friends to see you on one.......at least not your Creeker friends. You should check out IAP. You will get some great tips there on pens as well.

James Combs
08-31-2011, 4:07 PM
how is the fit, well the fit will give you a fit[ pun intend] I drill 4 blanks for 4 pens but the glue stop the tube at the half-way mark and trying to fix the blank did not work, CA sets too quick for my taste

That has happened to me in the past. To salvage the blank I first make sure all the glue is cured with accelerator then I cut the tube off the protruding end flush with the end of the blank. I then Re-drill the blank down to the installed piece of short tubing. I then glue in another piece in the freshly drilled end and then flush it to the blank. After the glue sets I trim the blank to dimension rather then just down to the tube as is the normal trimming procedure. I will make sure this blank is used where the wood will be the thickest over the tubing joint.

ray hampton
08-31-2011, 4:23 PM
That has happened to me in the past. To salvage the blank I first make sure all the glue is cured with accelerator then I cut the tube off the protruding end flush with the end of the blank. I then Re-drill the blank down to the installed piece of short tubing. I then glue in another piece in the freshly drilled end and then flush it to the blank. After the glue sets I trim the blank to dimension rather then just down to the tube as is the normal trimming procedure. I will make sure this blank is used where the wood will be the thickest over the tubing joint.
your idea sound better than the way that I try
I measure to the end of the tube inside of the blank and cut the blank close to the tube end then glue the blank to the tube that were exposed, BIG DUMB IDEA

Chris Burgess
09-01-2011, 9:06 AM

I was having that issue w/ my Medium CA then I moved to the thick CA and I use a lot of it, no issues w/ that since. I tried Epoxy yesterday and was not impressed. Had my first Pen blow up using it and feel it was due to lack of bond in the area from what I saw. My next test will be Gorilla glue then I feel I will be able to really decide what I like using