PDA

View Full Version : porter cable 4212 replacement bits

James Morton
08-29-2011, 1:51 PM
Has anyone noticed a difference in quality from the PC bits supplied with the jig and aftermarket bits, such as Whiteside? The replacements are relatively inexpensive, but if they arent better than the supplied bits, i wont bother.

Thanks

Jerome Hanby
08-29-2011, 2:05 PM
I don't know about those particular bits, but I've got one PC flush trimming bit and it's noticeably lesser quality than even my Woodcraft house brand bits. I saw the same kind of thing with the Bosch bits I bought also. Both brands came from one BORG or the other, wonder if those companies produce a lesser quality line for those retailers?

Bruce Wrenn
08-29-2011, 4:09 PM
Woodcraft often has the replacement bits (Whiteside) featured in their sales flyer. I have bought a couple of Whitesides from them, but haven't worn out the original PC's yet.

Mark Ashmeade
08-29-2011, 4:12 PM
I recently lost one, and chipped the other. So are we saying that Whiteside bits from Woodcraft are the way to go?

John Fabre
08-29-2011, 4:18 PM
Whiteside is the best, PC just sells by it's name, not quality.

Tom Esh
08-29-2011, 4:56 PM
The PC bits aren't bad, but both the Freud and Whiteside I've used in mine are better. FWIW in case you haven't done it yet, when you change bits (even for another of the same make/model) it can hose your setup. The smallest variations in the bit geometry get amplified.

Jerome Hanby
08-29-2011, 9:43 PM
I've always bought Whiteside (at least once I discovered that all bits were not created equal) and recently started buying some Freud Quadra bits (also got a good deal on a Freud kitchen cabinet set). I like the quality from both brands. The Wood Whisperer guy (at least on the older WTO pod casts I've been working my way through) has good things to say about Eagle American bits...

James Morton
08-30-2011, 9:05 PM
As a follow up, I bought the Whiteside bits from woodcraft. I cut a few dovetails tonight with the new bits, and it was like night and day. Even when the PC bits were brand new, they didnt cut as good as the whiteside bits. For around 35 bucks or so, it was definitely worth it.

Dave Lehnert
08-30-2011, 9:57 PM
Since B&D took over Porter Cable it seems like they use the DeWalt name for their high end and PC now for their middle of the road stuff. PC use to be a high end tool but now you can't go by the name. You have to look at each tool and judge it on its own.

Glen Butler
08-31-2011, 2:36 AM
A little late, but like you I don't feel that PC bits are that high of quality. I had tried to find other bits that match the angles of the PC D4 bit and the other PC option bits but couldn't. What bit exactly did you buy and what guide bushing are you using it with?

James Morton
08-31-2011, 9:39 AM
http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005279/28525/Whiteside-Replacement-Router-Bit-Set-Of-2-Straight-And-Dovetail-14-Shank.aspx

For the guide bushings, i am using the ones that came with the jig.

Bruce Wrenn
08-31-2011, 9:01 PM
I own two of the 4212's. Bought the first with CC points that were expiring. Bought the second used, just to get the included new Whiteside bits. Bits were worth more than I paid for whole jig.

Glen Butler
09-01-2011, 2:02 AM
Thanks James, I typically try to buy 1/2 collet bits because they are more ridgid, but this is one bit where that doesn't matter because the inner end of the carbide is smaller than 1/4". Thanks for finding those. I gave up looking and bought another PC D4, but that just busted last week, so looks like a trip to woodcraft.