PDA

View Full Version : Need Ideas

Craig Matheny
08-29-2011, 1:44 PM
My son-in-law just got hired as the head coach at USC for their Men's Crew team.. However in that process he also got a small budget and needs to raise money to repair 3 boats $15,000.00.... This is not a donation Request:rolleyes:... It is a request for Ideas the USC colors are Red and Gold I am new at this and getting ready to try turning some pens for him to sell to the alumni any suggestions on how to get the red and gold colors and then I might engrave on them.
Again keep it kinda simple I have turned 2 legs about 3 years ago so very new and any help is appreciated. I will be trying to make some crew boats also on the laser...

Thank you All...

Kenny Jacobson
08-29-2011, 3:10 PM
You could get some Padauk (red-ish) and Yellowheart (yellow-ish ;)) and glue up some pens blanks with that. You might want to cut them at a 45 degree angle on the glue up to give it a cool angle. I'm at work right now, but I'll take a picture of a pen I made like I'm describing and post it later on tonight. You could make a pen and (mechanical) pencil set with two blanks using the reverse colors: red-yellow-red for one and yellow-red-yellow for the other. Might be cool.

If you are in Anaheim, you'd be close to Austin Hardware and Hardwood (in Santa Ana). You can pick up Padauk and Yellowheart there for about the cheapest per board foot I've seen. The will also have a wood called "Redheart" that might be closer to USC's colors. The Woodcraft in Stanton and the Rockler in Santa Ana should have it too, but you can't beat Austin's prices.

Don Alexander
08-29-2011, 3:18 PM
one word of caution...................... don't use the USC logo without permission , you don't want that headache

Craig Matheny
08-29-2011, 3:38 PM
Kenny Thanks for the Ideas love it...

Don the beauty of this is being my-son-in-law is the coach we can do anything for them because we are donating everything and then they sell it and make the money for the team from the sales were just doing what we can do to help him succeed. But thanks for the warning as many people forget this small detail.

Jon Lanier
08-29-2011, 6:42 PM
You can always try to get permission from the school to use the logo. And decal the pens .... See: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/entry.php?9-Decal-Pen-Tutorial-(Part-1)

(http://www.sawmillcreek.org/entry.php?9-Decal-Pen-Tutorial-(Part-1))

David E Keller
08-29-2011, 7:09 PM
If you want the colors to be authentic, I'd suggest you consider using an acrylic rather than wood. There are lots of retail sources for acrylic blanks, and there are some members here capable of custom casting. I'd check out beartoothwoods for some ready made blanks.

Craig Matheny
08-29-2011, 7:43 PM
Jon that is a great idea David I am staying away from Acrylic as being new to this I have heard learning curve.

Don Alexander
08-29-2011, 7:48 PM
no suggestions here but i bet you are going to have fun :)

James Combs
08-29-2011, 9:07 PM
Jon that is a great idea David I am staying away from Acrylic as being new to this I have heard learning curve.

Craig I haven't been turning very long but I haven't seen a lot of difference between turning some of the harder woods and acrylics. Get a couple acrylic blanks and try them. You won't be out more the five bucks if that much.

Jon Nuckles
08-29-2011, 10:07 PM
I haven't turned acrylics (or pens), but agree that you are likely to get closer to USC colors with acrylics than wood. Most woods will change color when exposed to light and/or air. Padauk, for example, is more orange when cut and might take a little while to approach the USC dark red. Don't know about redheart and yellowheart. Unless you can afford to age your pens before selling them, people might be unhappy with what they get.