PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on this cheap lathe

Tom Hassad
08-29-2011, 12:40 PM
I read about this lathe from a review on the lumberjocks site and felt there was not enough information from experienced users to comment on the quality of this no-name brand lathe that some think could be a variation of a harbor freight model. Here is the link: http://www.edmwi.com/home/edm/page_1225_164/new_electric_wood_lathe__table_top_40_industrial_4 .html

Some say it is slightly different from the HF. I notice that the HP rating is missing so I am guessing it is 1/2 HP. I had my eyes set on someday getting the Delta 46-460 with bed extension but this is 1/4 the price of a comparably equipped Delta. I never turned before. I would like to save money but I have been burned by HF purchases in the past.

I understand the logic against purchasing a no-name brand, no real user history to verify quality and dependability and the addage of you get what you pay for - I was just hoping to fill in the blanks in my research to see if anyone can comment who has had hands-on experiences with this model.

Thanks, Tom.

Marty Eargle
08-29-2011, 12:51 PM
I can't speak for the lathe that you linked, but I will attest that the Harbor Freight #34706 is one of the few gems that HF offers. A few people see it as another HF POS but many people are satisfied with it. It is basically a clone of a very good midi lathe, and from what I can tell, the quality isn't as inferior as you would think. I have owned one since the beginning of the year, as my first lathe, and it has treated me very well. It is slightly off center and took a little manipulating to get it level...but have had any problems since. Plus, you can usually get it for less than $100 more than the lathe you linked.

At that cost, you're most likely not going to get a quality motor...and once you start your turning addiction, 1/2 HP is going to be painful, especially one about to fall apart. Just my two cents.

Ken Fitzgerald
08-29-2011, 12:51 PM
Tom....I don't have experience with this lathe but it's slowest speed is 1100 rpm. That is much to fast IMHO for a blank to be roughed out. My first lathe had a slowest speed of 500 rpm and that would open your eyes with an out of balance, blank needing to be roughed turned.

Neil Longhenry
08-29-2011, 1:06 PM
Tom,
I used to work at a home center and we sold what a lathe that looks exactly like this. It did not have a Morse Taper in the tail stock which would be a big drawback. The lathe did not have very good overall construction and I often wondered how many people bought this and got turned off about wood turning. I would suggest to proceed with caution.

Michelle Rich
08-29-2011, 1:16 PM
If I were you I would skip this lathe. Find a used Jet 1014, a Rikon mini, or the Delta mini from a few years ago. These will serve you well. I saw that on lumber jocks this morning and i think it will frustrate you and make turning no fun at all.

Roger Chandler
08-29-2011, 2:59 PM
I would not go near that hunk-O-junk! :eek: That is just me.........ya' know, I'm just sayin'! That is one you could learn to regret real easily!

Don Alexander
08-29-2011, 3:13 PM
1100rpm for the slowest speed? don't walkaway .............. RUN not only will you not like that, its just plain dangerous

there are times when "saving a buck" is false economy .... this is nearly always true, especially when the item being purchased has the potential to do you serious harm. if you can find the money that Delta 46-460 is the Rolls Royce of Midi-Lathes under $1000

if you can't come up with the money for that the Rikon is a very nice machine at a lesser price point or as already mentioned a used Jet

low end speed is much more important than high end speed , slower is better (and safer) remember : 1 trip to the emergency room will make a couple hundred dollars higher purchase price seem really cheap

be safe and good luck with your decision