PDA

View Full Version : Dust collection a la Monsieur Raffan

Richard Jones
08-29-2011, 9:43 AM
I noticed on a youtube DVD promo of RR that he has a DC port at the front of his lathe, down low at the headstock, which he says is very important for sanding bowls.

Anyone else try this and, if so, how did it work? Seems like a good idea and easy enough to implement.

Thanks.

Rich

Joe Herrmann
08-29-2011, 10:07 AM
He had the same set-up on the Cruise the last two weeks and I was impressed as to the amount of dust that was eliminated by the vacuum hose. I'm looking to do it at home.

Cecil Walborn
08-29-2011, 10:10 AM
I have a hose hooked one the front under where I am turning and it is on all the time. It seem to collect a lot of dust when I am turning and sanding. If I forget to turn it on I notice a lot more dust collecting in the shop every where. It also gets some of the shavings collect also so I have to watch the bag as it gets full of chips.

Richard Jones
08-29-2011, 6:07 PM
I do need a wye and another 90, so looks like a trip to Lowe's tomorrow when I go to town. Will rob a blast gate and port adapter from the DP just to see how this works, as I don't think I want the front one on all the time.

Will post a pic or two if anyone is interested................

Rich

Harry Robinette
08-29-2011, 8:38 PM
Richard
I have this hook-up on my lathe also.I did mine with a piece of 4" x 36' flex duct from Woodcraft works great.This really does a great job on dust I've had mine this way for about a year.206346

Bernie Weishapl
08-29-2011, 9:35 PM
I have a Y and have a 4" hose on each side of the headstock. Each has a blast gate so I can use one or the other or both. Works really well for sanding.

neil mackay
08-30-2011, 3:57 AM
If you tend to sand on top this then throws the dust down and the vent at the front low next to the headstock catches the dust.

Richard Jones
08-31-2011, 8:38 AM
Finished this up last night, sanded a walnut bowl this morning before heading out to work (was delayed a bit dealing with a coyote in the back yard!), and will have to say the amount of dust that the front one catches is prodigious..................:)

Thanks for the help.

Rich

Steve Harder
08-31-2011, 8:58 AM
I use a homemade "big gulp" hood with 4" hose, positioned behind lathe bed in line with where I am sanding. Having the funnel-like effect helps to draw all the sanding dust into the collector, very little is able to fall to the side. When I used just a 4" hose I was not collecting as much of the dust. I use mine upside-down from this pic, with the longer side extending slightly onto the lathe bed - with a swing arm attached to shelf behind to help hose up. Easy to set up and remove when not needed.

James Combs
08-31-2011, 12:03 PM
I have always had mine in the front between me and the lathe, it is just a 4 inch hose with an adapter in the end to provide something to tie to. I will post a pic later.

Bob Bergstrom
08-31-2011, 3:27 PM
Mine is behind the lathe but I have a small clip on squirrel cage fan right above my head that blows down on the lathe. It is quite helpful in keeping the sanding dust from coming toward my face. The 4" duct is duct tape to a articulated arm that I can move to differ position.

John Spitters
08-31-2011, 9:08 PM
What I have is a 6" duct dropping down behind the lathe, to this I fabbed a pivot point and to this fabbed up and attached a trombone type set up with two pieces of pipe one inside the other. This was done by heating one section with a heat gun and shoving in the other section to streatch it out for the sliding fit, to this I attached a 5 gallon bucket to act as a big gulp hood.

Richard Jones
09-01-2011, 8:46 AM
OK, so here's what I did. 2 x 10 end outlet (5") register boot, 4x5 reducer, 4" flex to my DC drop. Magnets hold it on, can move it away when not sanding so chips won't get sucked in. Big Gulp at the rear with a plug to keep chips out of the DC.

Works great, sure easy to do. I would have to recommend this to anyone that doesn't have it.

Thanks to all.

Rich206512