PDA

View Full Version : I almost did a bad thing! thanks sawmill search for keeping my conscience clean.

keith ouellette
08-29-2011, 9:38 AM
I decided to sell my g0490 jointer. I had to re align the tables every so often and even though it did a good job when adjusted I wanted to just turn on a jointer and work without any problems. I bought a used shop fox (photos coming) which was basically just like the G0490 except I think this was a little newer and had a 3 hp motor.

So I placed an ad on craig's list and mentioned that the g0490 had to be re adjusted once in a while. Thats the way I remember it working the last time I used it last winter. Some times I'm a little forgetful though. All the info is in my head but I never seem to remember it all at once.

I got a couple of inquiries. One guy wanted to come see it today. He was an hour and 1/2 away and I told him everything I thought I knew and he wanted to buy it. I got off the phone and had a nagging feeling. Something was wrong but I wasn't sure what so I called him back and told him to wait a few minutes. I just couldn't remember what the problem was.

I searched my posts on sawmill and found one where I was complaining that I couldn't get the tables to line up any more. I had forgotten all about that and this guy was under the impression that he would just have to make an adjustment once in awhile.

I started telling the would be buyer about the problem and he asked " Keith. What is it. Do you have some one else who wants the jointer?" And I told him no. I just wanted to be fair and then read him the post.

He is still buying it but at a reduced price and now he knows it need to be fixed. I thought it was funny because he thought I was trying to talk him out of buying because I want more money from some one else. I know what its like to buy a bad piece of machinery and would never want to pass that anger on to some one else.

Rod Sheridan
08-29-2011, 10:26 AM
Keith, good for you, you did the right thing even though it cost you.

That's one of the things about ethics, it can be a bit painful at first however it's good for both parties................Regards, Rod.

Christopher Kanda
08-29-2011, 11:28 AM
Good job Keith, being honest will pay off in the long run.

glenn bradley
08-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Honesty wins out. Well done. Were you ever able to identify the failing part that was causing the drift?

P.s. The G0490 is 3HP.

keith ouellette
08-29-2011, 1:11 PM
Honesty wins out. Well done. Were you ever able to identify the failing part that was causing the drift?

P.s. The G0490 is 3HP.

No. I never had a chance to look at it. I am always to busy trying to keep my head above water.

I took $150 for it and the new owner will probably be able to fix it pretty easy. I should have just fixed it but I am always having to fix something around here and something had get off the list.

Gene Howe
08-29-2011, 2:38 PM
Keith.
Sadly, your level of honesty is very rare. The customer's questioning is the proof.
Recently, I've had occasions to buy or sell several tools, none as large as a jointer, though. I always found the used tools, and sold mine on woodworking forms. I think woodworkers are very honest. I really wouldn't like dealing with a reseller. Working through the forums seems to significantly reduce that possibility.

Gil Knowles
08-29-2011, 7:30 PM
Keith
Your post reminds me of my favourite saying "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."
Good for you.
Gil

Phil Thien
08-29-2011, 9:51 PM
Sounds like a win-win to me.

Christopher Pine
08-29-2011, 10:49 PM
Honesty is the best policy! You did right.... some folks can sleep at night being a crook I never could. I sold a mini van this last year, transmission was going bad and leaked, check engine light was coming on every so often due to bad catalytic converter, etc... I put it all in teh add I posted on craigslist and believe it or not someone jumped at it! They said we understand about all the problems and want it can we come get it today??? I was shocked it went so fast. BUt anyhow good on you!

Chris

Rick Fisher
08-30-2011, 4:41 AM
Good for you, not willing to sell your conscience for $150.00 ..

John Shuk
09-01-2011, 10:03 AM
I do believe in Karma. Think you just made a deposit in the bank.