PDA

View Full Version : I missed SMC Yesterday

Roger Chandler
08-29-2011, 6:27 AM
I could not get SMC to load up on my computer at all yesterday..........my thought was the reason was the damage hurricane Irene did to the area of eastern Virginia.........

Glad to see it is back up and running this morning............I missed hearing from everyone and talking wood turning!

Hope everyone who was affected by that storm has a full recovery soon!

Mike Cruz
08-29-2011, 7:29 AM
The way I see it, Keith owes me 2 cents for the day of SMC that I missed! :)

Ken Fitzgerald
08-29-2011, 8:19 AM
The way I see it, Keith owes me 2 cents for the day of SMC that I missed! :)

Mike......Keith gave the check for your 2 cents worth to Irene. Didn't she deliver it?

Norm Zax
08-29-2011, 9:35 AM
I also felt the downtime. We should have the forum backed up on NSA servers on both costs, and beamed once an hour to a satellite for additional back up. Another few hour lapse can be intollerable.

Mike Cruz
08-29-2011, 2:45 PM
Ken, you're the first person to ever care about my 2 cents... :)

ray hampton
08-29-2011, 2:53 PM
why did we forget to welcome Keith back

Don Alexander
08-29-2011, 2:59 PM
glad to see the site is back up today i am guessing that that happy circumstance means that Keith didn't get clobbered too badly by the hurricane

Keith Outten
08-29-2011, 9:08 PM
We were very fortunate!

The storm was mild in our area as hurricanes go, the winds only took trees that were weak and the storm surge never came close to our property. Naturally we had a lot of rain and it lasted for a long time. We lost electrical power at about midnight Saturday and it was restored Sunday at about 5pm. Normally, because we are in a rural area, we are the last to have power restored but this time we were among the first. There are a lot of people without electricity this morning and we are hearing that it may be two weeks before everyone is connected again.

The damage here was nothing more than some tree limbs in the yard, Mother Nature just did some house cleaning. My next door neighbor lost two small trees and that is about all there was to Irene here in our section of Gloucester County. I have seen a lot of these storms, lived here most of my life so I know how bad they can be and I know we were lucky this time.

Once the power was restored I started up our network but couldn't get access to the server. Aaron Koehl had to work with our bandwidth provider for several hours to resolve an IP address problem on their side otherwise we would have been back online much sooner.

There were nine lives lost in North Carolina and Virginia and a lot of property damaged, we are counting our blessings this morning as all of my family are well, just living without air conditioning in very humid conditions so we have much to be thankful for this morning. With the AC restored here at my home I got a good nights sleep last night and I am ready to get back to the job of picking up tree limbs.

The hurricane season is still young, there may be more.........

It's great to be back online again, even though our absence was brief this time

Lee Koepke
08-29-2011, 9:15 PM
Very glad to here that you made it OK. I lived in florida when Charley, et al plowed through us repeatedly.

Thanks!